Beardie breathing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlyUpLate

So Elektra just started the first major shed of her life, I'm assuming. I figured I'd do her the favor and continue my every other day bath. Especially since she seemed labored before the bath, in the sense she was breathing rather heavily. She also had two movements this morning alone. After the bath, she was doing from what I could tell her first beard at me. She was breathing heavily, 'burping', and her neck was puffing with nearly every exhale. Any tips on what in the world is going on, cause she's kind of lazing it right now with a bit of a heavy sigh going on.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it sounds like a possible respiratory infection. Can you post a video of it ? The puffing of the beard and then a burp - like popping sound is generally the sound of an R.I. Sometimes it comes on if they aspirate water during the bath, so you might want to give fewer baths. How old + big is she and what are the temps. in her tank ? I think I remember her from another thread but not the specifics.

EarlyUpLate

Original Poster
Got the temp gun and a scale today, as well as a few other things. (Still no tank Background, which I'm a little mad about because jesus that's taking forever)

She measures nearly 9 inches, and weighs exactly 23 grams.
Her cool side is 83F, her hot under her hammock and ground level is 95f, her hammock is 100, and her basking spot ranges from 105 to 120 (120 is the temp of the closest to the bulb spot)

The video is coming, but she seems to be breathing better after a little while after her bath, she even ate. Still going to upload a video in a second.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks fine to me in the video. Her energy level is up and I don't see signs of a respiratory problem. It looked like she wanted to just hang out on the log and get some "sun" rather than being pet but her energy level and her attention to the bug make me think she's in good shape.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Cooper, no sign of illness there. It probably was just that she swallowed too much water in the bath. Just be careful because that could lead to an R.I. Keep the water very shallow no higher than her armpits and leave her in for only 5-10 minutes tops, then pat her dry + put her right back in the tank after.

EarlyUpLate

Original Poster
Okay thanks you guys. :3 I just had a bit of a scare is all, wasn't used to the (albeit adorable) burping thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom