Beardie Breakthrough!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

raidiowires

Ive been trying to get Hiccup on a regular feeding schedual, morning a lot, noon a little, night a snack then bedtime. Or course she always has pellets he likes and carrots in the tank to nibble on at her leisure.

BUT
the breakthrough is that she she used to be so skittish she was scared of my hand, and I was determined to hand feed my beardies because I'm scared of crickets getting in their tank. And we started a morning regimen, where I wake up and turn on her lights and she comes out to a specific corner of the tank and just stands there with her mouth open waiting for me to drop crickets in! Today she actually took one from my hand without being afraid!

Also, does anyone have any advice for feeding beardies without getting crickets in the tank? I tried a separate tank to feed her in but that scared her too much.

esn

Hatchling Member
Put them in a small baby food jar or water bottle. The crickets will come out slow enough for her to get them. I also tong feed. Crickets are hard buggers to grab by tongs, but it works. Also, you can make the crickets slower and easier for her to catch as they come out of the bottle by ripping off their back legs. It's a good thing to do for slower reptiles or ones that aren't such hardy eaters.

raidiowires

Original Poster
esn":3i1hspz6 said:
Put them in a small baby food jar or water bottle. The crickets will come out slow enough for her to get them. I also tong feed. Crickets are hard buggers to grab by tongs, but it works. Also, you can make the crickets slower and easier for her to catch as they come out of the bottle by ripping off their back legs. It's a good thing to do for slower reptiles or ones that aren't such hardy eaters.
Thank you! I just tried it out and it worked on my baby! Thank you so much!

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Someone here told me a cool trick. Stick your crickets in the freezer for just a minute or something. Just long enough that they can reanimate when you take them out and aren't dead.

Colesdad

wolfysluv":ink1h3l8 said:
Someone here told me a cool trick. Stick your crickets in the freezer for just a minute or something. Just long enough that they can reanimate when you take them out and aren't dead.
I do this too. Slash is Extremely lazy, if they're not within3inches of him he just stares and gives me the stink eye. I am such a slave!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom