Beardie bedtimes, what's your schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jettum

I have planned on staying at 12 hour cycles when mine's grown so we might avoid brumation in the future. BUT... My schedule is not set so it's been really hard to find just the right time to set her lighting for.
Problem is, I'm up at 7 m-f but I sleep in til 9/10 on the weekends, and I'm never in bed b4 midnight. So if I do a 10-10 for her I can see her awake and peeking out a good hour b4 I flip her lights and I feel bad and wanna warm her up since she's already awake. If I do a 9-9 she doesn't go to sleep bc there is still noise and light in the room. I tried longer days too (9-11), but then she'd go into her hide during the day for "naps" and miss out on soakin up those UVBs (and I'm worried abt causing need for brumation later by setting a 14 hr day).
What's ur guys' schedule? I'd love to hear what u decided on and why!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I've been shifting my timer with the day length - Pepper was going to bed at around sundown anyway regardless. He was giving me the sleepy stink eye if the lights are still on, so cover his cage door with a blanket if we are up late but he's in bed (he is in the living room) so he can sleep easier. My vet recommended the shorter days and letting him brumate if he wants, so we've gone with it. The idea being it's a natural impulse for them, and it's not clear if it's unhealthy long term to keep them away if they want to slow down. Pep only slept about one week solid, and has been up and down the rest of the time.

I keep the on time the same because I check in him and put in food at the same time during the week and he doesn't understand weekends.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I follow the seasons a bit as well. At the moment, lights on at about 6:45a and lights off around 6:45p. In the summer, lights go off closer to 9p making a slight adjustment or two each season. After lights out, I often just hold him and let him sleep on me. He falls asleep naturally around lights out time because it's routine. During the week I get up at 7 so I give him 15 min or so to warm up before bath/medicine/breakfast time. I sleep in later on the weekends (and am often away completely) but I keep the schedule the same. If I'm home on the weekend, bath/breakfast/medicine just happens when I wake up (usually closer to 9ish) and it's no big deal. A general routine is helpful, but it can be designed around your schedule.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
I've got a digital timer that has preset sunrise and sunset depending on the time of year. It's programed for DST and the time zone you are in. I'm wondering if I should use this feature. Opinions?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
AcceptableGeek":27q68wkj said:
I've got a digital timer that has preset sunrise and sunset depending on the time of year. It's programed for DST and the time zone you are in. I'm wondering if I should use this feature. Opinions?
That sounds pretty sweet! Is it dimming as well?
I'd give it a go, unless you want a longer day than your local is. But then I find adjusting timers inconvenient.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
I'll start using it. I don't mind the shorter hours. He usually knows when he's ready for bed anyways. It's funny how they know these things. I have an apartment built into the attic upstairs so no windows, but he still knows when it's sun up or down lol. I'm guessing uv.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
I think for now I'll just have him on a schedule that's easy for me to do maintenance. I like for him to get up a little before I do so I can feed,bathe, and check temps before I go to work. I'll try him on ten hours though, maybe he won't start a late brumation.

anwyn

Mort's lights come on well before I'm awake. I've sussed out that she doesn't eat until about an hour, hour and half after lights on. So by chance her habits have worked with mine. Her lights come on about 9am, I'm up about 10-10.30. While I wait for the kettle for coffee I dish out her salad, water dish, and put breakfast crickets in the fridge for 10 minutes. She's warmed up and ready to go when I am. :)

I have housesitters coming soon and know they are early birds so for Feb I'm just going to shift her schedule and tell them to set her lights timer to an hour before they get up. And the night timer too.

She starts getting sleepy about 8.30-9. Generally I take her out for a bit of holding time until 9.30 so that once she's tired of attention I can put her straight into her cave with her blanket over the end to hide the light. Her lights go off at 10.

I also cover the front glass with a blanket because the room lights are still on and I stay up until about 1 or 2am.

Jettum

Original Poster
Great idea w/ the blanket! Idk why but I didn't even think about that.
Tater- the only reason I mentioned weekends was to explain why I don't just turn her lights on earlier. (I WISH she understood weekends!! lol)
So, ik all of you guys extend and shorten for seasons.. But do u know anyone who has experienced strange or negative behavior bc of maintaining 12s to prevent brumation? I don't have to worry abt it for a while yet, but I'd like to know abt people's experiences with it.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Jettum":3bx12t9a said:
Great idea w/ the blanket! Idk why but I didn't even think about that.
Tater- the only reason I mentioned weekends was to explain why I don't just turn her lights on earlier. (I WISH she understood weekends!! lol)
So, ik all of you guys extend and shorten for seasons.. But do u know anyone who has experienced strange or negative behavior bc of maintaining 12s to prevent brumation? I don't have to worry abt it for a while yet, but I'd like to know abt people's experiences with it.

I haven't read anything other than that they can be willful about it, and that maybe light and temperature are only a couple factors. Barometric pressure has also been suggested and could explain why some dragons tuck in to sleep around the time of storms, and maybe even how they know it's night outside when they don't have any windows. http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/changing-seasons/

oxfordjrr

I'm still trying to get into a routine with mine, I have my light timer set to 11pm and 11am for lights on (i work until 10pm most nights and like to take her out of her cage for cuddles when I get home from work) she is usually pretty sleepy by this point and just crashes out on me lol. Then again other days I am out the house by 7.15 and need to put her greens in the tank before I leave which wakes her up too and she promptly gives me the stink eye for disturbing her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom