Beardie ate Lightning bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
yes her stomach is probly upset id give her some soy and really push the liquids she looks dehydrated

Hi I am so sorry :( I am glad to see you got her started on the pedilite. If you think she's pretty much ok with not vomiting I would try and put some in a syringe and do drops near the front of her mouth. I had to do this recently with my little baby Harper and she was good about it surprisingly and liked it off her face everytime I put a drop on her.

I also suggest baby food for protein. I know it's a chicken one, but I honestly don't know which one is the best as I didn't have to do that. But I hear it helps when they wont eat to keep them going. I have heard of the pedialite being done 2-3 times a day. I hope this can help. You little baby is in my thoughts.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I wouldn't give any baby food yet. Just the Pedialyte and soy yogurt to help her stomach and get hydrated. Poor thing, you can see she was a healthy weight, structure, and she is holding her body up, so she's got that going for her.... but I wouldn't give any food just yet, hydration is the concern.

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, thanks! I'll keep giving her the Pedialyte and I'll give her some soy yogurt now. I'll post an update tomorrow morning.

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just got out of the shower and she is really sleepy. I'm not sure if she is just tired from not sleeping last night or something else. She has not closed her mouth since yesterday for more than a second. I actually had to get moving her for almost a minute to get her to open her eyes. I just gave her some more pedialyte. Is it possible to give too much of pedialyte? I'm doing 50 water/50 pedialyte, is the ratio ok? and how often should I be giving her this? Sorry for all the questions!

I am still learning as well so don't feel bad. I will try searching around for you but I know there are a lot of experienced people on here that will offer some great advice. :( I found a few things from online and as always this isn't from my personal experience I am sorry to say but maybe until someone that knows a little more this can help.

" Remember that once pedialyte is opened it must be used within 24-48 hours. You can always make ice cubes from it to prevent it from losing its beneficial properties. Pedialyte and Gatorade do contain sugar so use it in moderation."

Here's another way if the dropper method is too stressful for her, or she wont take it up orally.

"For tonight, you can help your dragon by giving her a special soak. Buy some unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your dragon for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents, so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Also, make sure you increase the temperatures to the levels I discussed above. "

I hope someone else can give you a better idea, I don't know if giving it more than 3 times a day is too much, it could be. But figured the info on freezing it might help since you don't have to give them much at a time.

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info! I just gave her a ten minute soak and she woke up a little. I bundled her up and rolled a towel to elevate her a head a little bit. She still won't close her mouth.. I wish I knew why. I didn't see unflavored at the store or else I would have gotten that, but I can definitely try a different store tomorrow morning. I did read that on the bottle, I will consider making some ice cubes. I'm going to check her every hour throughout the night, I'm so paranoid. I'm just so afraid I'll wake up to a dead dragon.

I hope that all that's wrong with the whole mouth opening and black beard (she still black bearded? ) is due to stress and the overall events. Lack of sleep ect could just make her out of sorts all in it's own. Sounds like your doing everything you can for your baby. I know what you mean about not being able to sleep yourself. All in all you have to take heart in the positive which is she isn't showing signs of being paralyzed, she was taking fluids, while sleepy she is able to be woken and I think that might have to do with her lack of sleep and her cycle being thrown off.

Like you I would periodically check on her throughout the night, and make sure her breathing is normal ect. Hope to hear in the am she's still doing well and if so I think she'll pull through ok as long as you keep her hydrated. Definitely keep us posted.

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She still does have a black beard. :( I hope so. She didn't get any sleep last night. I'll try to wake her up around 4am and maybe give a very diluted dose of pedialyte, since I'm not sure how much is enough. It's so hard to see her breatheing, I have to move her around to get her to move/breathe, but I read that most beardies barely breathe when they sleep. I will update everyone in the morning. Thanks.

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This morning she looked a lot more awake. I think she was probably just exhausted. She still does have a black beard and her mouth is still staying open. I just gave her pedialyte and yogurt, she did have a small runny poo and she has spit up a brownish liquid a couple times this morning.

Do you have a recheck appt with the vet? So far that's really good news at least that she has made it to this morning and even if it's a small improvement, it's an improvement. Call and ask about the vomiting that's still occurring, just to make sure, I am not sure in animals how long the side effects can last of the charcoal. Do those pedialyte baths just to make sure she's staying hydrated.

She's prob just super stressed. Is she walking around at all on her own yet?

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The ER vet called back and we told her how she was doing. The vet is worried about her keeping her mouth open ( something to with ammonia levels I think ). So she has an appointment at 3pm with another Extoics vet.

sk1tzo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She only walked to go poo. She's smart, she never poops on her blankies! Other then that, she only moves her legs/body when I pick her up to make sure she CAN still move them. I did just soak her for 15 minutes.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad to hear shes still alive ! Just wanted to mention that the ingesting a lightning bug doesn't paralyze that I'm aware of..... you mentioned that at the beginning of your thread, it usually kills them in a short time, so it's good that she survived. Most beardies die within a day of eating one, and your girl has not. It's good that you have a vet appt....since she's still vomiting they may give her fluids. I wouldn't keep soaking her unless the vet says to....any uptake through the vent would be very minimal, if any, [ their vents are shut quite tightly] and going in and out of the syrupy liquid could cause more stress. Hopefully she is processing some of the drink mixture and not throwing it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom