Beardie ate cricket with possible cricket disease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamelotte

Hatchling Member
So I got 250 crickets from the local pet store for a premium $50 because I have no choice right now with how far north I am (canada). I've never gotten great crickets from this pet store, but they've always been passable until today. Most of them have stiff back legs that stick straight back and barely move. I can literally pick them up by the fist full and they just kind of twitch. I know it's not me because 1. the cricket bin was freshly cleaned and 2. I've taking care of my crickets the same way for months (large rubbermaid, screen top, fresh clean organic dandelion greens every day) and I've never had any huge die-offs (The most I've ever had in 1 day was 30; coincidentally those crickets came from this same petstore :? the average is like 2-5 die)

I fed my beardie some of these possibly diseased crickets before I realized what was going on. What should I do? Will he be okay.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
The dragon will be fine, although better food in means better everything, the cricket virus has not been shown to affect reptiles in general.

texasphil

I have had this problem with the last two batches of crickets I have received. They were from two different suppliers. A significant number are found laying on their back and twitching and others walk as if their hind legs are paralyzed. Is that the cricket virus?

texasphil

I usually use Ghann's but the last two times I used 2 different companies. I'll be going back to Ghann's for sure.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
I too used Ghanns cause of the banded crickets back when I fed Harley crickets. But after about a week of dealing with crickets, I said to hell with that and started a dubia colony and Harley and I are both much happier. Although I think Harley is happier than me since she now is a fat lazy slug who loves to sit on the couch watching me watch tv or sitting on the bed....watching me watch tv. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom