Beardie ate a wasp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Ok so I had my windows open and was cleaning the house and as I walked past Harleys cage I noticed a wasp fly by me. It flew into Harleys cage and starting bouncing off her UVB tube. Well before I could act, Harley spotted it and did a flying leap off her ledge and grabbed the wasp in mid flight and chowed it down. Do you think this is safe? She seemed very happy about it and started looking towards the sky for more. After that she ate a piece of collard green and some dubias and seems pretty happy. I'm wondering though if the wasps stinger or anything could hurt her?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the wasp stung her then I'd imagine she'd show a pretty quick reaction to it. While I don't think eating a wasp is the best thing for her, it might not pose a huge risk if she killed it quickly. Keep a close eye on her and bring her to a vet if she shows swelling or any other signs of a reaction.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah I plan to. She seemed really happy with it and I have never seen her move that fast for something. She loved it and like I said after she ate it she looked around for more of em. I'm pretty sure it didn't sting her cause she grabbed and had it crunched up pretty instantly. Plus she didn't flinch or anything like if you got pricked or stung. Now she is just pancaked and stretched out on her blanket under her heat lamp watching the tv and scouting around for another flying bug it looks like :lol: I was mostly worried if wasps were poisonous to beardies kind of like how hornworms that eat tomato leaves are.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She should be fine. :) I've had at least 2 instances when one of my beardies snagged one as it hovered near in the outside bin that he was in , and he was only about 7-8" at the time ! I thought he'd start having seizures or some other reaction but he just smacked his lps + looked for more. :lol: I was amazed....I don't know how they don't get stung....

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Lol exactly. I looked over and saw it banging on Harleys UVB tube and was like "omg a wasp, wheres a newspaper to roll up". Then I see Harley spotted it and the pet rock turned into superlizard and leaped up in the air and grabbed it, chewed it up, and was all excited looking all over the sky for another one :lol: That was her first and hopefully last wasp haha. I was actually more surprised how fast she moved vs the eating of the wasp. Havent seen her move like that since she was a baby :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom