Beardie ate a succulent leaf

Beardie_dad

Beardie name(s)
Dagnus
Ok so basically it's as the title says. My beardie was sitting on my pillow to look out the window, I turned around, turned back around, and the little dude had his jaws around my wilting succulent plant. I don't what kind of succulent it is, I tried using plantID to figure it out but I think the plant was too bare to be correctly ID'd.
Behavior-wise he's acting normal. Active, alert, no black beard, and I gave him some food which he ate with no problem. After eating, he basked and an hour later is now sitting on his hammock, still no black beard, still alert.

(Although there was just a big boom somewhere near the house so he's kinda running around his tank like "wtf was that", I think I'll let him walk around outside cause i think the boom stressed him out a bit).

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others think of this, I don't think he'll be hurt by this but I'll keep tabs on him until then. He pooped before eating the leaves so I'm gonna try to get him to poop again hopefully tomorrow just in case.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some succulents are poisonous. Try posting a picture of yours here, maybe one of us will recognize it.

How long ago did your dragon ingest it? If it is poisonous, he will start showing effects of it within half an hour or so.

-Brandon

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Sorry to hear this - beardies are really quick. Please don't trust them. They act like they aren't paying attention then they dive in. I know my advice is late but hopefully it helps in the future and for others. Nonetheless, wishing you the best.

Thanks for the timeframe @Claudiusx that's really good information to know. Hoping @Beardie_dad didn't personally have to experience that.

Beardie_dad

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dagnus
Some succulents are poisonous. Try posting a picture of yours here, maybe one of us will recognize it.

How long ago did your dragon ingest it? If it is poisonous, he will start showing effects of it within half an hour or so.

-Brandon
He ate it almost 5 hours ago, not showing any red flags that I can see; he's still got no black beard and is basking right now.
Here's some photos. The plant was wilting probably because it wasn't getting enough sunlight, which is why it was moved to the window.

Attachments

• 20230604_184133.jpg
    20230604_184133.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230604_184354.jpg
    20230604_184354.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230604_184128.jpg
    20230604_184128.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 67

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I am so happy to hear this. Whew!! I am not sure what kind of plant that is-
(Succulents holds lots of water in their leaves so whatever kind it is- let's hope this works in your favor. It may be okay? Fingers crossed? Please keep a close eye on him. They are so curious.

Beardie_dad

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dagnus
I am so happy to hear this. Whew!! I am not sure what kind of plant that is-
(Succulents holds lots of water in their leaves so whatever kind it is- let's hope this works in your favor. It may be okay? Fingers crossed? Please keep a close eye on him. They are so curious.
Will do!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
After 5 hours it's probably a moot point, but you can give them a little activated charcoal in an instance like that.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom