Beardie at petco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to petco today and the moment I walk in the reptile lady walks up to me and pulls me to the back to look at a 6 month old beardie thy had been dropped off. This poor thing is starved and no well taken car of and at petco they have one light on him and it isn't a UVB bulb and he is in to tiny of a tank with out proper heat and water and food available. I really just want to take him but I don't know of it would be a good idea. My Thor is healthy and dominant and loves getting all the attention. But I'm so worried about this beardie and that whoever else adopts it won't give it proper care and I'm so torn.

smeegy

If your beardie is a boy, it wouldn't be a good idea to get this other little guy (if it is a boy). Male beardies should never be housed together.

Brieana

Hatchling Member
It's hard to decide if you want to take on the responsibility of the care of a special needs dragon.
I think that if you do take it, you'll develop a bond just as strong as the one you have with Thor, because you two will have a different relationship.
When my turtle had shell rot, I had to clean her wound, change the water in her tank and leave her to dry out for a while every single day. She went from fighting and tucking her head into her shell when I'd pick her up to being relaxed as I picked her up and even sticking her head out as far as she could to look at me when I'd talk to her face to face.
But if you don't feel you have the time or money to nurse this one back to health, I'm sure someone will link to the reptile rescue you can contact.

Burra

Hatchling Member
We all want to rescue every sick beardie we come across, but it is impossible to help every single one. Help the ones you can, and announce here the location info for the ones you can't so that maybe one of uslive nearby and can help.

Keep in mind 2 beardies means two vivs to clean and buy supplies for, two bottomless pit mouths to feed, and two vet bills. Nursing a sick beardie back to health takes a lot of time, and can cost a lot with vet bills and medications. Plus there is no guarantee he will live even if you do try to help him.

I'm not saying not to take him, it's just some important things to think about before you do.

Good luck, and you have a big heart worrying about that poor beardie! At the very least you could use your knowledge to educate the PETCO employees on his proper care.

Alaskadeanna

Original Poster
He is at the petco in Fairbanks Alaska. If somebody can get him I will give you a 55 gallon tank and stand! If he is still there Friday then I will probably take him. I have been in contact with me vet about maybe her taking him on.

jsnsan

Juvie Member
So Sad :( I hope someone can get him. I would but its a very long drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks. I know that there is someone on here from Juneau...but that's not much help either.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
If you try to save every sick lizard you come across you'll go broke. Its just a fact some people do not take care of animals. Sad

Alaskadeanna

Original Poster
I adopted him today and will send his to ynevar as soon as I get him checked out by my vet. He is super sweet and just needs some tlc.

Alaskadeanna

Original Poster
Update! I did take him home and fattened him up a little bit. He was very skittish and had to work on getting him to let you hold him. Eventually he would kind of let me hold him. Then came the interviews for an adoptive family. Yes I did ask about 50 questions, I offended some people and turned others down until I found him a perfect home! He is doing very well and the lady texts me with updates and pictures. He is getting so much love and attention with her family.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is incredibly awesome that it had a great ending for him! :D
Thanks for helping him, I know he must appreciate you & his new owner.

Tracie

TJeno

Alaskadeanna":gbb8upwc said:
He is at the petco in Fairbanks Alaska. If somebody can get him I will give you a 55 gallon tank and stand! If he is still there Friday then I will probably take him. I have been in contact with me vet about maybe her taking him on.

Would you sell + ship that 55 gal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom