Beardie acting depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
So my 1 and half year old beardie has been acting depressed. She eats and poops like normal. I rescued a beardie like a month ago and my first beardie was running like a wild woman threw her tank and grounded her nails almost all the way down so I covered half her tank with paper so she couldn't see the rescue beardie. ( I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and there isn't any good place to move the second tank. There is either no room or I can't get the humidity stabled because of to many windows) but after I covered her tank all she wants to do is sit in the corner where she use to see the rescue and just lay there. If I uncover the side she is active but starts to black beard and bob her head and start glass surfing. I don't want her to be depressed but I don't want her to be aggravated either.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
She's objecting to the new beardie invading HER HOUSE....And making sure it knows SHE IS THE BOSS BEARDIE ...My Rex did the same things when Peppa and Toothless arrived here , took a couple of months but she eventually got used to their presence ..... give her lots extra snuggles and treats , she's feeling insecure and needs it.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yep, exactly! She is exerting her dominance over the new beardie, she wants him to know that she was there first, it's her house, and even though you've "covered" her tank with paper (Can you please elaborate on what that means, how many sides, top, etc. of her enclosure is covered up?) she still knows the other beardie is in the house. Again, how much of her enclosure is "covered up with paper"?

Beardies are solitary reptiles, meaning that in their natural, wild environments they live alone, travel alone, eat alone, etc. from the time they hatch onward. They love their people but definitely do not want to share them, and the presence of another bearded dragon in their home with their person or people is very, very stressful for them! The only thing more stressful is two Beardies being forced to live in the same enclosure together, which for some reason lots of people insist on doing, saying "They've gotten along fine since I got them, they've been together since they were babies. I don't know what happened!" right after one beardie got it's foot bitten off, one beardie has lost so much weight it's emaciated, or worse, right after they woke up to a badly shredded and dead beardie. So it's awesome that you're not housing them together in the same enclosure, thank you for that because a lot of people don't listen to us when we tell them to separate them immediately, to the point that they tell us we don't know what we're talking about. Only after tragedy strikes do they decide to listen. That being said, having your girl in the same room as the new beardie still is very stressful for her, hence her "depression". As of now it's not effecting her appetite, but it is effecting her behavior, and as stated above hopefully she will get used to the new beardie, but even if she does it will take quite some time.

The alternative results are that #1 months go by and she doesn't adjust, and this situation goes from only effecting her behavior to also effecting her appetite and consequently her physical health in addition to her mental health; and #2 it's also possible that the new beardie will also be stressed out, simply because of the presence of another bearded dragon, and his behavior also eventually becomes effected.

How old is your new beardie? I ask because if he's a young baby or juvenile you don't want his appetite and consequently his physical health to be effected while he's in his most important growing period. Lots of Beardies become stunted because of stress related to this, usually this is because two Beardies are housed together, but I have seen it happen simply because two Beardies were sharing the same room.

Just my opinion and you certainly don't have to listen to me, but I'm going to give you my two cents as a 37 year old that has owned reptiles and parrots since I was 6 years old, including a baby green iguana that I raised from 2 months and had for 11 years, and had to rehome when I went away to college, and a male baby Beardie that I raised from 1 month old and who lived to be 12 years old and who died of natural causes (I currently have a 7 month old female beardie that is thriving)...I ALWAYS find it much easier and much less stressful to address a problem before it becomes a problem. Once it's a problem then it's always much more complicated, costs more, and possibly ends in tragedy. Not trying to be dramatic, but it's the truth. So my suggestion to you is to try your best to move one of your Beardies to an entirely different room now, at least on a trial basis to see what happens. If your older beardie is in the same room and the same place her enclosure has always been in, then move the new beardie to a different room, as to keep your older beardie in her comfort zone, and once the new beardie is in a separate room then remove all of the paper from your older Beardie's enclosure. Just try it and see what happens. My guess is that her "depression" goes away pretty quickly and her behavior returns to normal rapidly.

I know your apartment is small, but I now always think in terms of "What Could Happen In the Future" (I didn't used to), and as a result I've saved a fortune, and had much less stressful. The bottom line is yes, your older girl may eventually adjust to having the new beardie in the same room after a few months, and she may not develop any more physical or behavioral issues from it, and yes your new beardie may not ever develop any physical or behavioral issues. But the alternative is that the opposite of both happens, which could turn into a nightmare and cost a fortune. And most importantly, it's obvious that your older girl as of right now is very stressed out, and that's a shame if she doesn't have to be. It doesn't have to be perfect, and it might take a while to get the temperatures and the humidity correct in your new Beardie's enclosure after you move it to a new room, but in my opinion it worth it, and will be much less stressful for you and them in the long-run.

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
EllenD":e4p8j638 said:
Yep, exactly! She is exerting her dominance over the new beardie, she wants him to know that she was there first, it's her house, and even though you've "covered" her tank with paper (Can you please elaborate on what that means, how many sides, top, etc. of her enclosure is covered up?) she still knows the other beardie is in the house. Again, how much of her enclosure is "covered up with paper"?
my first beardie in in the living room and my rescue is in the dining room. I took computer paper and covered the area where my first beardie was able to see the rescue. This picture was taken a few days after I received the rescue.
89991-7536394777.jpg
Beardies are solitary reptiles, meaning that in their natural, wild environments they live alone, travel alone, eat alone, etc. from the time they hatch onward. They love their people but definitely do not want to share them, and the presence of another bearded dragon in their home with their person or people is very, very stressful for them! The only thing more stressful is two Beardies being forced to live in the same enclosure together, which for some reason lots of people insist on doing, saying "They've gotten along fine since I got them, they've been together since they were babies. I don't know what happened!" right after one beardie got it's foot bitten off, one beardie has lost so much weight it's emaciated, or worse, right after they woke up to a badly shredded and dead beardie. So it's awesome that you're not housing them together in the same enclosure, thank you for that because a lot of people don't listen to us when we tell them to separate them immediately, to the point that they tell us we don't know what we're talking about. Only after tragedy strikes do they decide to listen. That being said, having your girl in the same room as the new beardie still is very stressful for her, hence her "depression". As of now it's not effecting her appetite, but it is effecting her behavior, and as stated above hopefully she will get used to the new beardie, but even if she does it will take quite some time.
when they are outside of the cage together they get along for the most part. Every now and then my first beardie will show dominance. If I'm holding both of them at the same time they are both fine or if they are in grass they are perfectly fine.
The alternative results are that #1 months go by and she doesn't adjust, and this situation goes from only effecting her behavior to also effecting her appetite and consequently her physical health in addition to her mental health; and #2 it's also possible that the new beardie will also be stressed out, simply because of the presence of another bearded dragon, and his behavior also eventually becomes effected.

How old is your new beardie? I ask because if he's a young baby or juvenile you don't want his appetite and consequently his physical health to be effected while he's in his most important growing period. Lots of Beardies become stunted because of stress related to this, usually this is because two Beardies are housed together, but I have seen it happen simply because two Beardies were sharing the same room.
My rescue is 4 years old and she isn't bothered by the other beardie. She always has vibrant colors and acts completely normal.
Just my opinion and you certainly don't have to listen to me, but I'm going to give you my two cents as a 37 year old that has owned reptiles and parrots since I was 6 years old, including a baby green iguana that I raised from 2 months and had for 11 years, and had to rehome when I went away to college, and a male baby Beardie that I raised from 1 month old and who lived to be 12 years old and who died of natural causes (I currently have a 7 month old female beardie that is thriving)...I ALWAYS find it much easier and much less stressful to address a problem before it becomes a problem. Once it's a problem then it's always much more complicated, costs more, and possibly ends in tragedy. Not trying to be dramatic, but it's the truth. So my suggestion to you is to try your best to move one of your Beardies to an entirely different room now, at least on a trial basis to see what happens. If your older beardie is in the same room and the same place her enclosure has always been in, then move the new beardie to a different room, as to keep your older beardie in her comfort zone, and once the new beardie is in a separate room then remove all of the paper from your older Beardie's enclosure. Just try it and see what happens. My guess is that her "depression" goes away pretty quickly and her behavior returns to normal rapidly.
its not so much finding a room to put the tank. It's trying to keep the humidity down. I have several windows in my apartment and I'm having a hard time keeping the humid below 50%. Even with a dehumidifier near by.
I know your apartment is small, but I now always think in terms of "What Could Happen In the Future" (I didn't used to), and as a result I've saved a fortune, and had much less stressful. The bottom line is yes, your older girl may eventually adjust to having the new beardie in the same room after a few months, and she may not develop any more physical or behavioral issues from it, and yes your new beardie may not ever develop any physical or behavioral issues. But the alternative is that the opposite of both happens, which could turn into a nightmare and cost a fortune. And most importantly, it's obvious that your older girl as of right now is very stressed out, and that's a shame if she doesn't have to be. It doesn't have to be perfect, and it might take a while to get the temperatures and the humidity correct in your new Beardie's enclosure after you move it to a new room, but in my opinion it worth it, and will be much less stressful for you and them in the long-run. I was thinking if maybe I put the rescues lights and basking spot on the other side of her tank then maybe my first beardie won't be able to see the rescue. I don't know. The rescue is also in a 55 gallon long tank. So trying to find a wall to fit it is difficult. And yes I know the tank is the wrong size but it's the tank she came with and I'm having custome cages built and they should be done by the end of summer.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ashleymthornton1990":31xt56jh said:
EllenD":31xt56jh said:
my first beardie in in the living room and my rescue is in the dining room. I took computer paper and covered the area where my first beardie was able to see the rescue. This picture was taken a few days after I received the rescue.
89991-7536394777.jpg
when they are outside of the cage together they get along for the most part. Every now and then my first beardie will show dominance. If I'm holding both of them at the same time they are both fine or if they are in grass they are perfectly fine.
<<<< PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - I PLEAD WITH YOU --- never have the pair out of their vivs at the same time on the floor together --- ever ---- an angry dominant beardied dragon can move like greased lightning and it will only take a moment for her to inflict a savage mauling attack on the new comer.

My rescue is 4 years old and she isn't bothered by the other beardie. She always has vibrant colors and acts completely normal.
<<<< I found the most effective way to avoid line of sight domination was stacked enclosures, put the bigger / elder bearded dragon in the bottom enclosure, the smaller one in the higher enclosure.
This way the only time they will see each other if when you have one of the other out for snuggles or for floor time - you wont likely have the hatchling roaming about on the floor for several months yet as it's too small and can disappear under / behind / between stuff too easily.

It's not so much finding a space for the tank some where else. This major issue is there is several windows in my apartment and I can't get the humidity to stay below 50% even with a small dehumidifier.
I know your apartment is small, but I now always think in terms of "What Could Happen In the Future" (I didn't used to), and as a result I've saved a fortune, and had much less stressful. The bottom line is yes, your older girl may eventually adjust to having the new beardie in the same room after a few months, and she may not develop any more physical or behavioral issues from it, and yes your new beardie may not ever develop any physical or behavioral issues. But the alternative is that the opposite of both happens, which could turn into a nightmare and cost a fortune. And most importantly, it's obvious that your older girl as of right now is very stressed out, and that's a shame if she doesn't have to be. It doesn't have to be perfect, and it might take a while to get the temperatures and the humidity correct in your new Beardie's enclosure after you move it to a new room, but in my opinion it worth it, and will be much less stressful for you and them in the long-run.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ashleymthornton1990":1vlpr2s9 said:
EllenD":1vlpr2s9 said:
89991-7536394777.jpg

its not so much finding a room to put the tank. It's trying to keep the humidity down. I have several windows in my apartment and I'm having a hard time keeping the humid below 50%. Even with a dehumidifier near by. <<<< 50 - 70% relative humidity is fine for beardies.
I rarely see RH under 65% inside my fully airconditioned home (we run the big split system 24/7 in summer and winter and I know people who are very successful keeping bearded dragons even the tropical coastal climate of far north eastern Queensland).

I know your apartment is small, but I now always think in terms of "What Could Happen In the Future" (I didn't used to), and as a result I've saved a fortune, and had much less stressful. The bottom line is yes, your older girl may eventually adjust to having the new beardie in the same room after a few months, and she may not develop any more physical or behavioral issues from it, and yes your new beardie may not ever develop any physical or behavioral issues. But the alternative is that the opposite of both happens, which could turn into a nightmare and cost a fortune. And most importantly, it's obvious that your older girl as of right now is very stressed out, and that's a shame if she doesn't have to be. It doesn't have to be perfect, and it might take a while to get the temperatures and the humidity correct in your new Beardie's enclosure after you move it to a new room, but in my opinion it worth it, and will be much less stressful for you and them in the long-run. I was thinking if maybe I put the rescues lights and basking spot on the other side of her tank then maybe my first beardie won't be able to see the rescue. I don't know. The rescue is also in a 55 gallon long tank. So trying to find a wall to fit it is difficult. And yes I know the tank is the wrong size but it's the tank she came with and I'm having custome cages built and they should be done by the end of summer.

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":38qkaeao said:
Ashleymthornton1990":38qkaeao said:
EllenD":38qkaeao said:
89991-7536394777.jpg
<<<< PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - I PLEAD WITH YOU --- never have the pair out of their vivs at the same time on the floor together --- ever ---- an angry dominant beardied dragon can move like greased lightning and it will only take a moment for her to inflict a savage mauling attack on the new comer.
I guess I didn't clarify this. When they are outside of there tanks they are kept in 2 separate pens. I have 2 smaller metal crates that are kept side by side. When they are out side they act like each other doesn't exist. Only time they are kept "together" is when they are on my shoulder. One on each side with a harness and leash.

<<<< I found the most effective way to avoid line of sight domination was stacked enclosures, put the bigger / elder bearded dragon in the bottom enclosure, the smaller on in the higher enclosure.
This way the only time they will see each other if when you have one of the other out for snuggles or for floor time - you wont likely have the hatchling roaming about on the floor for several months yet as it's too small and can disappear under / behind / between stuff too easily.

i don't have a hatchling. I have a 1 and half year old and a 4 year old. The 1.5 year old rather roam the floor while the 4 year old rather stay in the window seal. But I have only allowed that to happen once. Since I got there out door pens they go in there.
It's not so much finding a space for the tank some where else. This major issue is there is several windows in my apartment and I can't get the humidity to stay below 50% even with a small dehumidifier.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ashleymthornton1990":25f8pjou said:
kingofnobbys":25f8pjou said:
Ashleymthornton1990":25f8pjou said:
EllenD":25f8pjou said:
89991-7536394777.jpg
I guess I didn't clarify this. When they are outside of there tanks they are kept in 2 separate pens. I have 2 smaller metal crates that are kept side by side. When they are out side they act like each other doesn't exist. Only time they are kept "together" is when they are on my shoulder. One on each side with a harness and leash. <<<< Please - one out at a time from now on.

<<<< I found the most effective way to avoid line of sight domination was stacked enclosures, put the bigger / elder bearded dragon in the bottom enclosure, the smaller on in the higher enclosure.

i don't have a hatchling. I have a 1 and half year old and a 4 year old. The 1.5 year old rather roam the floor while the 4 year old rather stay in the window seal. But I have only allowed that to happen once. Since I got there out door pens they go in there. <<<< they are definitely both old enough to have floor time (SEPARATELY , NEVER EVER TOGETHER) and it's going to get very interesting if one is male , other a female.... armwaving, slow headnodding from the girl , bbing and frantic headnodding from the male).

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":7pixuqoh said:
Ashleymthornton1990":7pixuqoh said:
kingofnobbys":7pixuqoh said:
Ashleymthornton1990":7pixuqoh said:
EllenD":7pixuqoh said:
89991-7536394777.jpg
I guess I didn't clarify this. When they are outside of there tanks they are kept in 2 separate pens. I have 2 smaller metal crates that are kept side by side. When they are out side they act like each other doesn't exist. Only time they are kept "together" is when they are on my shoulder. One on each side with a harness and leash.[/color]<<<< Please - one out at a time from now on.

i don't have a hatchling. I have a 1 and half year old and a 4 year old. The 1.5 year old rather roam the floor while the 4 year old rather stay in the window seal. But I have only allowed that to happen once. Since I got there out door pens they go in there. <<<< they are definitely both old enough to have floor time (SEPARATELY , NEVER EVER TOGETHER) and it's going to get very interesting if one is male , other a female.... armwaving, slow headnodding from the girl , bbing and frantic headnodding from the male).

JessW

Hello,
Since they are ok with each other when out of their normal vivs, it sounds like your girl is upset at the "invasion" to her territory. I'd suggest moving them both around (swap tank places, move around tank decor, new tank backgrounds, etc). It's a trick we do with territorial/aggressive fish to make them all think they've moved somewhere new and the other fish/beardie is just a part of this new place, and then they'll both make "new" territories. It'll be a little stressful at first from relocation, but less so than your girl spending the next few months defending her territory. Not sure if that makes sense or is helpful. Just my thoughts!

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JessW":1h366sky said:
Hello,
Since they are ok with each other when out of their normal vivs, it sounds like your girl is upset at the "invasion" to her territory. I'd suggest moving them both around (swap tank places, move around tank decor, new tank backgrounds, etc). It's a trick we do with territorial/aggressive fish to make them all think they've moved somewhere new and the other fish/beardie is just a part of this new place, and then they'll both make "new" territories. It'll be a little stressful at first from relocation, but less so than your girl spending the next few months defending her territory. Not sure if that makes sense or is helpful. Just my thoughts!
thank you! I will give it a try when I get home.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ashleymthornton1990":3lzzxzfz said:
89991-5812072712.jpg
her orange is finally coming back. No more black beard and dark coloring. I'm one happy beardie mom

Careful with the fake / plastic greenery .... beardies have been know to try to fake plastic leaves, I've seen it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom