Beardie’s finger swells up without daily first aid

sunnystunna

Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
Hi! So about two months ago I took Oslo outside, and I’m not sure what happened, but when I looked him over he had a pink patch right underneath what would be his pinky finger where the scales looked like they had rubbed off and it was a little irritated, like just pinkish skin.

No big deal. I brought him in, soaked his hand in diluted betadine for 15 minutes every morning, then put plain Neosporin on it every night for about a week. It looked better, no longer pink, so I stopped.

A few days later the spot was inflamed again and his pinky finger was swollen and pale (he was about to shed so I didn’t worry about that). I thought oh okay maybe I stopped doing it too early. Started back for two weeks. It looked better by the end, still pale but the pink spot was gone, and the swelling was down.

Fast forward a few weeks, the finger is pale and swollen again. The spot doesn’t look bad though. It’s the same color as his scales, but doesn’t look like it has any scales there?

Other than appearance, the spot has never bothered him. He doesn’t favor that hand or anything and he doesn’t react when I touch it. Never has. But I’m starting to think maybe it’s time to take him to a vet?

I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this first, because trying to get off work is a pretty big hassle because I work in retail and the Christmas season is upon us… and the only day I’m off, the vet is closed. Of course if needed I’ll manage, but I wanted other opinions first.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! So about two months ago I took Oslo outside, and I’m not sure what happened, but when I looked him over he had a pink patch right underneath what would be his pinky finger where the scales looked like they had rubbed off and it was a little irritated, like just pinkish skin.

No big deal. I brought him in, soaked his hand in diluted betadine for 15 minutes every morning, then put plain Neosporin on it every night for about a week. It looked better, no longer pink, so I stopped.

A few days later the spot was inflamed again and his pinky finger was swollen and pale (he was about to shed so I didn’t worry about that). I thought oh okay maybe I stopped doing it too early. Started back for two weeks. It looked better by the end, still pale but the pink spot was gone, and the swelling was down.

Fast forward a few weeks, the finger is pale and swollen again. The spot doesn’t look bad though. It’s the same color as his scales, but doesn’t look like it has any scales there?

Other than appearance, the spot has never bothered him. He doesn’t favor that hand or anything and he doesn’t react when I touch it. Never has. But I’m starting to think maybe it’s time to take him to a vet?

I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this first, because trying to get off work is a pretty big hassle because I work in retail and the Christmas season is upon us… and the only day I’m off, the vet is closed. Of course if needed I’ll manage, but I wanted other opinions first.
Please post a pic of it

sunnystunna

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
Please post a pic of it
I wish I could get a clearer picture of the underneath. It literally looks like skin in one spot. Smooth. There’s some texture coming back as if the scales are re-growing though. That’s rather new.

Attachments

• B856CA9D-4D62-4501-984F-A641C89C1557.jpeg
    B856CA9D-4D62-4501-984F-A641C89C1557.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 856C4059-D6D0-46BF-90B1-4F6E09D437CC.jpeg
    856C4059-D6D0-46BF-90B1-4F6E09D437CC.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 74

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I wish I could get a clearer picture of the underneath. It literally looks like skin in one spot. Smooth. There’s some texture coming back as if the scales are re-growing though. That’s rather new.
I am wondering if that is shed causing this or maybe she got bit outside I am going to have AHBD take a look and see what she thinks
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't really see anything of concern. Maybe a TINY bit of swelling but if he's walking + acting fine I wouldn't worry.

sunnystunna

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
I don't really see anything of concern. Maybe a TINY bit of swelling but if he's walking + acting fine I wouldn't worry.
The swelling is quite significant compared to the finger on the other hand, at least to me. And you can see where that part of his hand is more pale than the rest.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Probably the angle and it's also a bit fuzzy to get a good look. I'm not sure what it could be, I think gout can start in a toe but I don't have any other suggestions. Maybe Drache613 can help.

sunnystunna

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
Probably the angle and it's also a bit fuzzy to get a good look. I'm not sure what it could be, I think gout can start in a toe but I don't have any other suggestions. Maybe Drache613 can help.
Okay, thank you. Gout could be possible. He’s got kidney damage from his previous owner giving him way too much protein, but he’s been in my care for six months now and the vet and I have him on a low protein intake.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay, thank you. Gout could be possible. He’s got kidney damage from his previous owner giving him way too much protein, but he’s been in my care for six months now and the vet and I have him on a low protein intake.
A uric acid test would need to be done for gout--- if the test is high then allopurinol can be prescribed and silk worms are a good staple feeder for dragons w/ gout

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom