Bearded Dragon WebCam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

I have a bearded dragon I've kept for about 3 years, and her name is Chopstick. I have created a rather nifty web cam of her that goes live for about 6 hours out of the day and provides a live feed of what she's doing in her cage. Most of the time she isn't doing much aside from basking, looking around, glass dancing, or generally being a beardie, but it's still pretty cool.

Seeing as this is a neat thing, and this site has lots of beardie lovers, I wanted to share! Enjoy!

Lizard Cam

PS. Any feedback on the enclosure, her behavior, or how she looks is welcome! I like to think that I've been a good reptidad after having her three years, but I'd still appreciate any tips from the knowledgeable.

UPDATE!
Now you can make your own Lizard Cam! Please find instructions on my blog here: http://prannon.net/how-to-make-your-own-lizardcam/

TeddyLC

!!! Those are such cute names. :D Love them! I'm Korean, so obviously I'm a big fan. ;) Looking forward to seeing your beardies!

Prannon":3l9zs3b5 said:
Hey all!

I have a bearded dragon I've kept for about 3 years, and her name is Chopstick. I have created a rather nifty web cam of her that goes live for about 6 hours out of the day and provides a live feed of what she's doing in her cage. Most of the time she isn't doing much aside from basking, looking around, glass dancing, or generally being a beardie, but it's still pretty cool.

Seeing as this is a neat thing, and this site has lots of beardie lovers, I wanted to share! Enjoy!

Lizard Cam

PS. Any feedback on the enclosure, her behavior, or how she looks is welcome! I like to think that I've been a good reptidad after having her three years, but I'd still appreciate any tips from the knowledgeable.

So sad that its offline

Prannon

Original Poster
Being a complete nerd, I decided to take the hard route and get a raspberry pi to power my webcam. Delivery in a few weeks, maybe?

Gonna leave the cam off for now.

Prannon

Original Poster
I think I got it! :D

I think I got it? :?

I'm having to explore some new technologies to get this working on a Raspberry Pi, but I'm pretty sure that I got it! :mrgreen:

http://chopstick.lizard.camera/and-soju-too/

This should start running again tomorrow at 13:00p CST, per the schedule. I'll check on it around then to make double sure. Let me know what the quality is, and if it's showing up at all. I'm curious, cuz I'm running this on a radically different software/hardware setup from before.

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
I just saw the lizardcam today. It's nice to see the girls again. Thank you for keeping this going for us. :D

I currently only see Soju right now though...

TeddyLC

So exciting! This is the first time I've tried looking at the cam at a time that it's on and working. :D Sadly, I don't see any lizards right now, but STILL, neat!

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
I think Soju is in the corner on the basking stick thing. She kinda blends in with it. I'm looking at it right now.

TeddyLC

OH, I see her! With how bright the light is through the glass, she blended right in with her basking platform, ha!

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
So I've checked the cam throughout the day...

Looks great! Turned on when it was supposed to but...I think it's not turning off when it is supposed to. I'm looking at it right now and their lights are off but the cam is still on. It's almost 9pm in Arizona.

Where was Chopstick all day?

Prannon

Original Poster
So I've been out of town for a few days and I think the cam might have overloaded the raspberry pi I was using to power it. I found the cam running when I got in late at night and the pi was completely inaccessible.

I had to reboot it to get it working again.

I've set up the system to reboot once a day to avoid that situation from happening again, and I'm going to keep an eye on whether it stops when it's supposed to tonight. Aside from that, enjoy the cam everyone! :D

P.S.
Anyone want tips on how to set this up, it's very easy and requires, at most, and investment of about $120.

Prannon

Original Poster
Oh, and Chopstick is kinda sleepy lately. I think that she's going through some slight brumation. She perks up when fed, though.

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
I'll just keep checking back in on them. Is it possible to raise the camera to another angle to see somewhat from above? It might help with the glare problem as well.

Prannon

Original Poster
I could look into that. I'd rather not raise it from where I have it now, to be honest, since I kinda like the spot it's in. Also, the camera is nailed to the wall.

I could always look into installing a second camera though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom