Bearded dragon too small?

xMaxthekidd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Joey
My little brother has an adult bearded dragon in either a 40-50 gallon tank (I know, we need a new one) I understand they grow to the size of their tank but he looks a bit thin, i don’t know how often he feeds him but wanted to know if it warranted having a talk. i don’t have many recent pictures but I will post more soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0108_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0108_Original.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0110_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0110_Original.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5255_Original.jpeg
    IMG_5255_Original.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 40

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Hard to tell with those pictures. Look at the fat pads on the top of the head and the hip bones. The hip bones should not be visible and the fad pads should be full and not sunken in.

How long is he and what's his weight?
Regardless of all that, the tank is too small.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My little brother has an adult bearded dragon in either a 40-50 gallon tank (I know, we need a new one) I understand they grow to the size of their tank but he looks a bit thin, i don’t know how often he feeds him but wanted to know if it warranted having a talk. i don’t have many recent pictures but I will post more soon.
The dragon needs correct surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 95-100 and a good UVB--- long tube fixture they are not all the same NO coils--- how much and how often is the dragon being fed?

xMaxthekidd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Joey
The dragon needs correct surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer 95-100 and a good UVB--- long tube fixture they are not all the same NO coils--- how much and how often is the dragon being fed?
My brother feeds him almost weekly, I’m concerned he’s not getting enough food, but I wanted to know if it was bad enough to need to confront him. I will send more pictures as soon as possible.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
My brother feeds him almost weekly, I’m concerned he’s not getting enough food, but I wanted to know if it was bad enough to need to confront him. I will send more pictures as soon as possible.
An adult needs salads daily and bugs two to three times a week...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The dragon is malnourished -- he needs to be fed every day fresh salads Nutrition Content ignore the kale info it is outdated and a good staple feeder - the dragon needs a staple insect which should of been fed everyday till he was a year old along w/ the insects being dusted w/ calcium D 3 every feeding once per day till he was a year along w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene- 2 x per week once time per feeding---- your brother is starving the dragon --- please start feeding the dragon make sure he has the proper UVB and correct surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- 95-100-- to be honest I am surprised the dragon is still alive ---- but he is not in GOOD health

xMaxthekidd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Joey
Thank you guys so much for the help, I‘m so glad I asked, I will be talking to my brother about his feeding arrangements and possibly taking over care. He will be weighed and measured as soon as possible and hopefully I can get him a much bigger tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you guys so much for the help, I‘m so glad I asked, I will be talking to my brother about his feeding arrangements and possibly taking over care. He will be weighed and measured as soon as possible and hopefully I can get him a much bigger tank.
please fix the lighting in the tank -----------------UVB and surface basking temps are the most critical at this point along w/ diet - if you want links to the UVB please ask I will post we recommend 3 good ones on this forum --- the basking light needs to be a solid clear bright white bulb NO colored off white yellowish or daytime bulbs

xMaxthekidd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Joey
please fix the lighting in the tank -----------------UVB and surface basking temps are the most critical at this point along w/ diet - if you want links to the UVB please ask I will post we recommend 3 good ones on this forum --- the basking light needs to be a solid clear bright white bulb NO colored off white yellowish or daytime bulbs
I could use those recommendations, I’m unsure of the quality of his bulb, but I’m sure it could use a replacement. sorry for all the unknowns, i am not with my brother right now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I could use those recommendations, I’m unsure of the quality of his bulb, but I’m sure it could use a replacement. sorry for all the unknowns, i am not with my brother right now.
Basking bulbs -- Flukers Basking -- Exo Terra Intense--- Arcadia Halogen the wattage will be trial and error you MUST have 2 digital probe thermometers to get accurate surface basking temps 95-100--- cools side of the tank 80ish--
UVB's posting 3 24" fixtures-- will be good for a 40-120 gallon tank - right now you want the lighting on par
Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a Retpisun 10.0 T 5 bulb I will post a link for that as well
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this fixture can also be found at Pet Smart - you want the 12% bulb 24 watt
Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one 2 ft or 24" you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun 10.0 posted above
when you get the UVB please post back on here and I will help you place it for the tank and the distance - the screen on the tank will determine where it goes

xMaxthekidd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Joey
Basking bulbs -- Flukers Basking -- Exo Terra Intense--- Arcadia Halogen the wattage will be trial and error you MUST have 2 digital probe thermometers to get accurate surface basking temps 95-100--- cools side of the tank 80ish--
UVB's posting 3 24" fixtures-- will be good for a 40-120 gallon tank - right now you want the lighting on par
Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a Retpisun 10.0 T 5 bulb I will post a link for that as well
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this fixture can also be found at Pet Smart - you want the 12% bulb 24 watt
Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one 2 ft or 24" you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun 10.0 posted above
when you get the UVB please post back on here and I will help you place it for the tank and the distance - the screen on the tank will determine where it goes
i will get it as soon as possible, sorry for so many questions, but how big of a tank should I get? I’ve seen varying answers, I found an affordable 75 gallon but I don’t know if it’s big enough or if I should save for an 120 gallon
i know it’s not my biggest worry but I’m trying to organize all I can right now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i will get it as soon as possible, sorry for so many questions, but how big of a tank should I get? I’ve seen varying answers, I found an affordable 75 gallon but I don’t know if it’s big enough or if I should save for an 120 gallon
i know it’s not my biggest worry but I’m trying to organize all I can right now
75 is good but you want one w/ front doors- going thru the top is a pain in the butt- get your lighting in the tank correct first- I can post links for tanks if you like

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will get some links posted for you and you can look at them
these are 4x2x2 tanks---
Zen Habitats www.zenhabitats.com I have 2 of these tanks - the original ones
www.symtonbsf.com - I dont care for the black background
www.dubiaroaches.com same w/ these
https://talkingserpents.com/ no feedback on these tanks
www.diycages.com same w/ these no feedback
https://carolinadesignerdragons.com/ too heavy all glass and I dont like the basking bulb connected to the UVB fixture-
you dont want a tank less than 18" tall - too hard to get temps in the tank -

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom