Bearded dragon still not growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon Rango I got him him in June 2015. I got them at PetSmart so I do not know when he is born but it is now early March 2016 and he is only about a foot long. His basking spot temperature is 95 degrees. his UVB is about 80. He eat about 25 medium dubia roaches a day. Why isn't he growing?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Would you be able to post some pictures of him in his tank so we can see how things are set up? This will explain how: https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then post the XING link here.

He is quite small for a beardie 9 to 10 months old. Could you fill us in on the brand & type of UVB you're using and what the distance of it is to your beardie while in his basking spot? What basking bulb are you using & is it a white or colored bulb? Are the heat bulb & UVB on the same side of the tank?

What type of thermometer are you using? A temp of only 95 degrees seems a little low for his age, most prefer it 102 or so.

How often are you dusting his dubia with calcium & vitamins? How often are you bathing him and offering him oral fluids?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for posting the links to give us more info about the setup. I think we discussed him not growing a while ago and made some suggestions.

The UVB you are using doesn't cover a very big area and those types also decline very rapidly, also can cause health issues like loss of appetite (which affects growth), eye problems, inactivity, etc. Since you now have a tank that size, I recommend getting a Repti-Sun 10.0 strip fluorescent bulb. If you get a T5 (high output) bulb, you can set it right on top of the screen with the heat bulb closer to the front and the UVB right behind it so he can get the benefit of both bulbs at the same time as that's the way they need it to be. With the way you have the UVB now, he is also too far away and may not be getting any of the UV rays at all. Another option would be to get a T8 Repti-Sun 10.0 bulb and mount it toward the back inside of the tank with the bulb pointing down and within 6 to 8" from the basking spot. You could instead change to a mercury vapor bulb which supplies heat & UVB, also called "an all in one bulb" then you would only need that bulb for the basking side and perhaps a low wattage household bulb on the cool side for a little heat & light.

Good that you're using a temperature gun. A basking temp of 95 isn't warm enough for his size and he does have more growing to do so he needs a basking temp of 102 to about 105.

Here's a site that shows the best greens to feed in green print: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Kale actually binds calcium so even though you are dusting it, his body may not be absorbing it sufficiently so could be preventing him from growing. It would be fine to continue to give him a little kale daily but it should be mixed with healthier greens like collards, escarole, endive, dandelions, mustard or turnip greens.

At his age, you should be dusting his feeders 5 days a wk with calcium with D3 but only on 1 of his bug feedings daily. The vitamins should be dusted on his feeders the other 2 days a wk but again, on only 1 feeding a day. Too many vitamins are not good for them.

Would also be a good idea to give baths at least 3 times a wk and also offer him drinks on his nose with a plastic medicine dropper to make sure he is well hydrated.

I think you will see a big difference if you make these recommended changes. If you have any questions, let us know. ;)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
jacksonrocks619":3jugbe42 said:
All Living Things Reptile Desert Compact Fluorescent UVB Bulb , not familiar with that brand, sounds like a elcheapo chinese clone with a shop / chain store brand put on it. If you aren't sure of it's quality , ditch it and buy either UVB200 or a 10% or higher rated T5 or T8 UV tube.

another chinese clone of a brand name. I'd replace it with a Philips par38 clear colourless spot , these are used very successfully by many reptile and beardie keepers here in Australia.

The Thermometer I use

http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Thermometer-Contact-Temperature-Measurement/dp/B002OD0NCG

I am not dusting his roaches with calcium/vitamins. However, my dragon LOVES greens. I give him a daily bowl of kale which I dust with calcium and vitamins daily. I give him baths weekly. I have never given him any oral fluids. I will also link his tank, maybe that might be needed.

Rango's Tank

http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Glass-Terrarium-18-Inch/dp/B001B5ATYK

how long are the lights on each day ?

I'd suggest 15 to 16 hours per day, this will simulate the daylight hours wild bearded dragons will encounter in summer here in Australia in their natural range in the centre of the continent near the Tropic of Capricorn (ie near Alice Springs / Ayes Rock).

UV he needs what would be rated as EXTREME with regards to combined UVA and UVB , UV Index > 14 , again , this is what a wild bearded dragon will experience for much of the day in summer and is what they have evolved to need for best health.

BTW the basking spot temp is a little low but near a bearded dragon's preferred body temperature (35oC). I'd nudge the basking temperature up a few degrees F.

Greens : buk choi greens (not the white bit) is a good calcium rich green. All mine love their buk choi.

jacksonrocks619

Original Poster
This has been such a long time since I have been on here. Forgot my password and forgot about this website. Thanks to all of your guys' advice Rango is happy and healthy. He is currently about 16 months old. He is 22 inches and 500 grams. I got the UVB bulb you recommended , switched his diet over to dandelion greens, and got him a heat lamp. Thank you for all of your help! Rango is now happy and healthy! :D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom