Bearded dragon sneezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
My beardie's been sneezing twice a day since yesterday. I've been looking around her mouth and nostrils and there's no discharge. She doesn't have any clicking or rattling. I've observed no deep breathing, nothing out of the ordinary. I'm hoping it's nothing serious and I've already went to the vet and they said she was fine about a month ago. She needs a fecal float though to check for parasites and worms. I'll have to do it next month because the day she went, she didn't go until she came home and have to wait til payday.

Her age: 1 year
Tank: 55 gallon critter keeper
Basking Lights: 75 Watt Halogen Flood Lamp, 75 infrared light for day and night use, and a Reptisun 10.0.
Substrate: Paper Towels.

I cover her up with two fleece blankets and she sleeps on an old bed pillow of mine. So she's not exactly on the tank bottom.

mikewithsfi

Hatchling Member
Not to throw alarm at you, but sneezing in reptiles can be an indicator of a respiratory infection. If you can raise the heat in the tank a little bit do so. If you are giving baths do not do it so often, since this can make r.i's worse. Also you should keep an eye on the breathing, color, weight, and behavior. If you notice any changes take the lil one to the vet. If nothing changes and your beardie is acting normal then have the vet check the sneeze when you go.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
mikewithsfi":iaahuh0t said:
Not to throw alarm at you, but sneezing in reptiles can be an indicator of a respiratory infection. If you can raise the heat in the tank a little bit do so. If you are giving baths do not do it so often, since this can make r.i's worse. Also you should keep an eye on the breathing, color, weight, and behavior. If you notice any changes take the lil one to the vet. If nothing changes and your beardie is acting normal then have the vet check the sneeze when you go.

Since it's getting colder, I don't really give a lot of baths unless she's shedding and it's once a week.

I almost forgot to add that I don't have a shallow water bowl in her tank. I've read that water bowls aren't necessary for them to drink from and won't drink from standing water.

Her poop and urates are normal with the exception of being hydrated pretty well from getting her water from spritzing the greens, greens themselves, and crickets. No smell to her poop when she goes, so that's a good sign.

Wouldn't her poop stink if it's a respiratory infection or is that just bacterial infections and coccidia?

No stress marks either. She's not gaping and gasping for air whenever she's awake.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Worse with the sneezing now. It's two-three times a day now. Maybe more. I picked her up and listened to her and heard her lungs. They're congested like there's fluid, but still no discharge. So chances are: Maybe I got it early enough. I certainly hope that the Albon I got from the vet works for her. She was on it before, but it says on a site that it can be used for RI. And my vet had a baby and won't be in until Tuesday. I'm going to who else in my area knows about bearded dragons and try to get a second vet in case there's another emergency and they're not in.

mikewithsfi

Hatchling Member
This may be a long shot.. But is your beardie shedding? The reason I ask is you say there isnt any discharge or other sign of RI. If your beardie is shedding there maybe skin in her nose that is irritating her and she is sneezing to get it out..

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
mikewithsfi":1zvq8e4y said:
This may be a long shot.. But is your beardie shedding? The reason I ask is you say there isnt any discharge or other sign of RI. If your beardie is shedding there maybe skin in her nose that is irritating her and she is sneezing to get it out..

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom