Bearded dragon sick! Vet is unsure of why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayleeeann33

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2bomf7ii said:
Please let us know what the vet says --- and what kind of lighting you got
Karrie

I purched the tube light you suggested of reptisun T8 and the UVB bulb 10.0 17 Watts. He hasn’t been able to bask under it since I took him to the vet right after pet smart. I also purchased a 100w basking lamp (employee suggested it). I also bought a syringe so I can feed him baby food and water. I’m still here at the vet, they took a blood test but didn’t see any thing too unusual. So they’re going to give him an X-ray to see what’s going on inside and also they’re going to run a blood smear test to check for parasites. Already this doctor has done twice as much as the other exotics vets I went to yesterday. I will keep you update on the results of blood test, X Ray and blood smear.

-kaylee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok good have them explain everything and don't be afraid to ask questions-- I am surprised they have not suggested critical care for him to syringe feed--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Be interesting to see what the blood tests show. If you can, post the levels for us to see.

-Brandon

Kayleeeann33

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2e8hn421 said:
Ok good have them explain everything and don't be afraid to ask questions-- I am surprised they have not suggested critical care for him to syringe feed--
Karrie

I just got home from the vet. And it saddens me to believe that chronic passed away on the way home. The vet wasn’t exactly sure what was wrong but the x Ray showed some impaction under the lungs. He sent the x rays and blood samples to A&M and said was gonna call me tomorrow and let me know. But I noticed on the way home he stopped doing the breathing thing with his mouth and his jaw has been hanging open. He’s completely limp and when I put him back in his cage he did nothing. It doesn’t look like he’s breathing and he has lost all color in his body. I can’t tell if he’s dead or not and I know no sure way how to. Please help.

Kayleeeann33

Original Poster
claudiusx":2hx8r4oa said:
Be interesting to see what the blood tests show. If you can, post the levels for us to see.

-Brandon

The vet said the blood test was inconclusive so he was sending his blood samples somewhere else to be tested and looked over. Calcium levels were lower than normal.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is terrible--- I am so sorry :(--- I was so worried this was going to happen- what kind of UVB did you have before changing it out? Calcium is very important in their diets-- along w/ the UVB-- lighting in the tank all the way around--- try running some water on him to see if he opens his eyes-- watch the response you get from doing that-- there are other ways to but I can't remember what they were-- I think the trip to the first vet may have traumatized him-- again I am sorry -- it is so hard when this happens-- and it sounds like you did everything you could
Karrie

Kayleeeann33

Original Poster
KarrieRee":xagte4xc said:
That is terrible--- I am so sorry :(--- I was so worried this was going to happen- what kind of UVB did you have before changing it out? Calcium is very important in their diets-- along w/ the UVB-- lighting in the tank all the way around--- try running some water on him to see if he opens his eyes-- watch the response you get from doing that-- there are other ways to but I can't remember what they were-- I think the trip to the first vet may have traumatized him-- again I am sorry -- it is so hard when this happens-- and it sounds like you did everything you could
Karrie

No response from the warm bath. And he won’t respond when I move his arms or feet. I believe he has pasted. I am deeply sadden that this happened to him and am gonna find out what made him so sick. I wish I could have done more. I’m going to keep him in his tank under his light until I get a call from the vet tomorrow. I will be getting his blood tests and his x Ray results. I appreciate you’re help through this all.

Kaylee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am saddened as well -- poor thing-- I hope you get some sort of answers as to why -- we lost our first beardie mid March of last year-- we don't know exactly why she died but we believe she was around 13-- not for sure but we did the best at trying to figure out her age- we had her for around 3 years-- got too attached but it happens-- she quit eating we thought brumation but it was spring totally a newbie at this--- was doing research all the time and did not find this forum till after the fact-- I know she was a happier dragon when we got her as we put her in a 50 gallon and when she came here she was in a 20 gallon-- way too small for a adult dragon and she spent the majority of her life in that-- we also let her out to roam -- but there again her lighting was not correct-- so that too could of been a cause-- just grieve and if and when you can always get another-- just remember to get your husbandry in good standing-- you can get lots of good tips and advice here--- again I am sorry :(---
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that you had to go through this with your dragon. It is hard to determine what could
have gone wrong. It could have been metabolic bone disease complications possibly. When
do you expect to get the blood tests back?
I am sorry for your loss. :cry:

Tracie

I know this post is old but people need to know this. Look at the 1 star reviews of that liquid flukers calcium on amazon. It has killed many reptiles of several species within hours. I have never used it personally but I have read that maybe the reason it kills them is because it is supposed to be dilluted because it is pure calcium otherwise it burns their insides literally. Look into it. Killed to many to be a coincidence.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I have never used the Flukers calcium either but it essentially just needs to be properly
dosed, I agree. I don't think there are any dosing instructions with it, or didn't used to be.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom