Bearded dragon seems lifeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptar0323

Hi my bearded dragon seems almost dead, he doesn't move, open his eyes, or anything. I thought he was dead, and I wanted to clean him up before thinking about a nice place to bury but I noticed his stomach inflate and deflate. I put him in warm water and he tries to move but he just lays there and opens his mouth every once in a while. It looks like he isn't breathing but I pick him up and his stomach inflates again and he opens his mouth. His stomach is also very flat and feels soft. When picking him up he seems dead but he opens his mouth. His beard is also very black. I think he is dead but I'm trying to make sure. He has a 25 gallon tank, I usually feed him mealworms, medium sized crickets and veggies. I've had him for 2 1/2 years. He is my first bearded dragon ever and the previous owner didn't assure me how long she had it for. There's was also times before when he wouldn't want to eat. I also have trouble sometimes feeding him food because I go to school and I'm only 15 so I try to get him food a lot but I don't get much money as I am only living with one parent. (Feel free to bash on me)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Not enough information.

Need much more information and details on your beardie's setup and your husbandry otherwise we can't even hazard a guess.

Here's my Cheat Sheet :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

If you work through it methodically , the chances are their are likely a lot of issues that need to be tweeked or changed and they will pop right out at you, if you can give very detailed answers we will then be in a position to offer help. Is impossible to help you if you don't provide thorough details .

I think you need to get him to a reptile vet to be thoroughly checked .It seem your bearded dragon has very serious health issues.
Are your parents in a position to afford to take him to a good reptile vet as this IMO is necessary ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We are not here to bash you, but help.
Can you review your tank setup, such as whether or not you are using a UVB light, what the
temperatures are, the type of substrate/bedding you are using, etc. That helps us determine
if something in your setup is incorrect that should be changed up.
Do you have any pictures of him & the setup?
It would be a good idea to try & get him in to see the vet.

Tracie

Reptar0323

Original Poster
Thanks but my lizard unfortunately passed away. He had had a opening at the bottom of his stomach and bled out. The log I had in his tank had a hidden staple in the inside which I assume cut him. I did have a basking lamp for him, and wood chips (which I found out that they are not a good idea.) My mom and I couldn't afford a vet, I tried feeding him veggies but he wouldn't want to. So we left him in the warm bath until he gave out.

I'm sorry for your loss but NEVER get an animal, especially exotic, if you cannot afford a vet visit. Just like dogs and cats, reptiles also need regular check ups and emergency visits. If you put anything in their habitat, check it for hazards, i know you're only 15 but that's no excuse to be so careless. Carelessness and no proper care results in taking the life of the innocent. Don't get another animal until you get a job, McDonald's hires 15 year olds, go work there if you want another "pet."

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
....Well, most of us are here to help.... Please don't let the minority of people here scare you away from seeking advice in the future.

We (the caring majority) are sorry for your loss and wish we could have helped. :cry:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very sorry to hear that your dragon passed away, that is awful. :cry:
How bad was the cut, do you know when it could have happened? I am glad that he wasn't
alone though.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello, Please refrain from personal attacks or uncaring responses. It is never a good time to be mean & takes more strength to be nice. It's hard enough to lose a beloved dragon but completely uncalled for to be so condescending to another person on here. It is not tolerated on this board.
Thank you,

Tracie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SydneySwaff":3lz0lu61 said:
I'm sorry for your loss but NEVER get an animal, especially exotic, if you cannot afford a vet visit. Just like dogs and cats, reptiles also need regular check ups and emergency visits. If you put anything in their habitat, check it for hazards, i know you're only 15 but that's no excuse to be so careless. Carelessness and no proper care results in taking the life of the innocent. Don't get another animal until you get a job, McDonald's hires 15 year olds, go work there if you want another "pet."
Hey, this kid is grieving the loss of his dragon, we don't point fingers and, accuse! We try to consloe folks in times of grief. What you said was not warranted nor helpfull.
We are here to help those that need it not bash them for mistakes. I would be willing to bet you've made a few as well. I would like to see an apology of some sort to this poor kid, my heart goes out to him for his loss.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Reptar0323":2sbrugmg said:
Thanks but my lizard unfortunately passed away. He had had a opening at the bottom of his stomach and bled out. The log I had in his tank had a hidden staple in the inside which I assume cut him. I did have a basking lamp for him, and wood chips (which I found out that they are not a good idea.) My mom and I couldn't afford a vet, I tried feeding him veggies but he wouldn't want to. So we left him in the warm bath until he gave out.
I am so sorry for your loss my friend, these things happen at times.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
.... bled out in the bath ?

Could have been all so easy to fix with 2 or 3 drops of superglue and a bit of bandaid. A vet could easily have saved your beardie, probably for next to nothing ( just a consult fee , $40 say ).
Superglue is in my firstaid kits (car, fishing bag and household) , it's great for holding cuts together very effectively and even helps stem the flow of blood through the injury.

So easy a mistake (oversight) to make - we don't all have great eyesight and little hazards like exposed staples are very easy to miss).

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm sorry you lost your beardie, that's never easy to go through, no matter how old you are. He's out of pain now...

I know you're only 15, but you are old enough to understand and comprehend, and you must be an animal lover, you came on here for help when you had nowhere else to go, so I'd like to offer you a little advice if you'll listen...

The most responsible thing that you can do as someone who cares about animals, especially reptiles who have special environment needs to just even survive, is to make sure that you have EVERYTHING he needs in his environment before you get another pet. I'm sure that makes sense to you, it wasn't your fault that you didn't have a proper setup for your beardie, but you can take control of the situation now, before you get another beardie or any other pet...

For example, you mentioned that he had a basking light, but I'm assuming he had no UVB light at all. Now if I was only able to buy one thing for my beardies, I'd buy them a proper UVB light and fixture, either a Mercury Vapor Bulb (all in one bulb) or a long, flourescent tube UVB light made my Reptisun and a long flourescent fixture for it. A proper UVB light is the most important thing you need to buy for a bearded dragon, much more important for them than most other pet lizards because beardies are from the desert and need at least 14 hours of UVB light every day in order to make vitamin D3, to absorb any Calcium they are given, to process any nutrition from food, basically they need a proper UVB light to grow and continue to live. Without a proper UVB light beardies have their growth extremely stunted, they stop eating, they start having twitches and spasms, they become paralyzed in first their back legs and then the front, they starve and become extremely skinny, and then they die. The worst part is that they can stay alive without a UVB light for a year or more, during which they suffer horribly before they die. All of the huge, long, fat, active, healthy beardies you see online and in YouTube videos have a great UVB light and replace it every 6 months or a year, whichever it calls for, because UVB lights stop emitting UVB after usually 6-8 months even though they still turn on and light up.

So please make it a necessity, your #1 priority that before you get another beardie or any other reptile or amphibian that requires a UVB light (do your research first!) that you first come back on here and ask us what UVB bulbs and fixtures are appropriate for bearded dragons, and we'll not only tell you what UVB lights are good for beardies (there aren't many even though they say they're good for beardies on the box) but we'll also give you the cheapest places to buy them! And that goes for anything else that you need to get before you get another beardie, please come back here and ask us what you need to buy BEFORE getting another beardie, we'll be so happy to help you because we want people to make their new bearded dragon's environment healthy for them. The other criticisms I would give you (without actually asking you specific questions or seeing photos of your setup) regarding your bearded dragon enclosure and setup are #1 a 25 gallon aquarium is not nearly large enough for a subadults or an adult bearded dragon, a 20-25 gallon tank is only good enough for a bearded dragon until maybe up to 6 months old, beyond that age its way too small, and 6 months might even be to old for that size. I always start out buying the enclosure for a reptile that is the correct size for them as a full-grown adult. So a bearded dragon at the very, very smallest needs a 40 gallon breeder tank, and I really don't like to even keep them in those for longer than a year old, but I do know some people who use a 40 gallon breeder for their adult beardies and they say it works. So figure that before you get another beardie that getting a 40 gallon breeder tank is a must...Though if you get a baby or very young juvenile, and you can only buy limited supplies before getting the beardie, you need to buy a proper UVB light and use your 25 gallon aquarium, but only if you're absolutely going to replace it with at least a 40 gallon breeder tank before he turns 6 months old...

Also, absolutely no wood chips, mulch, bark, Coco husk, Eco Earth, crushed walnut shells, any type of sand, or any other loose substrates for a bearded dragon ever! They can easily become badly impacted, which can cause permanent paralysis or can kill them, and also any of these loose substrates collect and hold in bacteria, fungi, and parasites/worms, all of which will make your beardie very sick and need a vet for medications. You only want to use solid substrates with a beardie like floor tiles from Lowes or Home Depot, Non-adhesive shelf liner, or newspapers or paper towels which can be thrown out and replaced whenever they get soiled. Easy, clean, and saves money!

One more thing, almost as important to bearded dragons as a proper UVB light are proper temperatures inside their homes. Another reason a 25 gallon aquarium is a bad size of enclosure for a beardie is it is too small to establish a proper temperature gradient inside so that your beardie can have both a hot side and a cool side for comfort and for basking. If a bearded dragon has improper temperatures inside its enclosure it cannot properly digest it's food, and then they won't absorb their nutrition, and they can actually end up passing whole insects in their poop and can become impacted. Those cheap, round, stick-on thermometers that everyone has in their tanks because they come with kits are complete garbage(NEVER EVER WASTE MONEY ON A BEARDED DRAGON ALL-IN-ONE KIT, THEY DO NOT COME WITH PROPER LIGHTS OR ANYTHING ELSE). Those round thermometers are usually off by around 20 degrees in either direction, so you are either cooking or freezing your beardie without knowing it, plus you cannot measure the basking spot temperature with one of those, and this is the most important temperature. A really great thermometer that costs no more than those round stick-on thermometers that don't work are the digital thermometers that have a probe on a wire. Petco and PetSmart sell them for about $9, either their brand or Zoomed makes the same thing in yellow for the $9. You can actually place the probe right on the basking spot and get the temp, and they are very accurate.

Those are the most important things I see that you need to do before getting another beardie for sure, or if you're thinking about any other type of reptile or amphibian then you'll need to come back and do your research on whatever specific pet you're planning on getting, and make sure you have absolutely everything that is necessary for your new pet to be happy and healthy. We'll help you with anything we can.

I hope you take the time to read this post, as the main reason I'm taking the time to point out the absolutely necessary things that you must buy before getting another beardie is because I'm hoping that this approach will actually get through to you.

We see young kids and teenagers on here ever day with sick beardies and they are looking for help to save them because they really do love them. We typically find out very quickly that the reason their beardies are sick is because they don't have a proper UVB light or any UVB light (most common cause of illness and death), or they are not feeding them a proper diet at all, or they are on a loose substrate that has caused a horrible impaction or internal bleeding, or they have never given them a Calcium or multivitamin supplement. And even though we know what they need to do to get their beardie healthy again, and maybe they already know as well, because they are young kids or teenagers with no money they cannot buy any equipment that is 100% necessary for a beardie, or any food, or pay for a reptile vet. And unfortunately their parents or guardians refuse to help them.

It's very hard to not get mad at the parents in this situation, because they are the adults that not only allowed their kids to get a pet in the first place, but they ultimately are the people responsible for the pet.

Your father, for example, bought you a bearded dragon as a present. Okay, that's very nice of him, and I'm sure you guys most likely had an agreement that you would be responsible for taking care of your new pet, like cleaning his tank out, feeding him every day, turning his lights on and off every day, spending time with him daily, etc. And that's fine, as at 15 years old you absolutely can be responsible for a bearded dragon's daily care. However, you cannot be financially responsible for any pet's care at 15 years old, and your father, as the adult who bought you the pet as a gift, is 100% responsible for making sure that this living creature he brought into your home and family is financially taken care of. And probably 98% or more of the kids that come on here for help actually have ZERO support from the very parents that allowed them to get the pet or even bought the pet for them.

Right from day one your father said you could have a bearded dragon, yet he refused to buy him any UVB light, the absolute most important item a bearded dragon needs. This makes no sense and is just horribly frustrating for us, but most of all for you! I could tell in your original post that you knew having no UVB light, wood chips as a substrate, having a 25 gallon tank, you knew all of this was very bad for a beardie, but there wasn't a thing that you could do about it, and I'm so sorry that you were put in that situation. That's why I'm proposing to you that YOU AND ONLY YOU take responsibility and control of any of your future pet's lives.

If saving up $70-$80 for an all-in-one Mercury Vapor Bulb, $9 for a digital probe thermometer, $50-$100 for a 40 gallon breeder tank (always check Craigslist for a 40 gallon breeder or a large EXO Terra first), and if I were you I'd also save an extra $100-$200 in advance for ordering bulk crickets, or better yet dubia roaches so you can start your own colony and always have free food, if saving all of this money up BEFORE YOU GET ANOTHER BEARDIE takes you 6 months to a year, or longer, however long it takes you, then that's how long it takes you to get another beardie. That's my proposition to you, because you're a responsible young adult (you took the initiative to come on here for help), you'll soon be 18, and I hope I and every other member of this forum have really impressed upon you how important it is to not purposely take responsibility for another living creature until you are in a position to do so. I figured out a long time ago (I'm 37) that when the adults in my life that were responsible for me failed to do what they should have done for me as a teenager, that meant I had to just stand up and do it for myself. And being responsible for another living creature is not to be taken lightly.

Again, I'm so very sorry that your beardie passed away the way that he did. I hope you have a lot of good memories of him, and I'm sure that whenever the time comes for you to get another beardie you'll be wiser and fully prepared and educated first. We are always here so please ask any and all questions, send private messages, whatever you need we will do our best to help you.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
SydneySwaff":x8d4os4m said:

Okay, normally I let things slip, but you need to calm down. Things like hidden staples are not 'carelessness'. It was a MISTAKE. If the OP didn't care at all for the dragon, they wouldn't be here, now would they? If you want to help, please consider being nicer - yelling about how stupid and careless, the OP is doesn't help anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom