BEARDED DRAGON POSITIVE FOR ADENOVIRUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesphet

A bearded dragon at the store test positive for this virus.
An overview of his journey up to now:
We named him Ed. His cagemate died of the virus. Once his cage mate died, we sent Ed to get tested to see if he was positive and he is.
But for months he showed no signs of being sick. I figured if he makes it past 90 days he would be in the clear. Well, the 90 days went and he was fine! He lived in the back of the store. In a 5.5gal tank because that's all we could use. He had proper lighting at least. Ate up to 12 crickets daily. He shed twice with us.

So, because he is ADV positive we could not sell him. One of the supervisors took him home. I gave her a 20gal tank for him. She got it all set up and then took him home.
He stopped eating. wouldn't bask. kept going to the cold side. He will not eat anything.

So I told her maybe he needs to stay with a small tank? I gave her my one small 5.5 feeding tank. Cleaned it all out, she set him up in it. And she blocked off 3 sides of the tank with wallpaper in case everything around him was stressing him out. He's basking and staying warm now. She says he does not really star gazing though. He won't eat crickets but she has gotten him to eat carnivore care food medicine. Once she gets the syringe in, he eats the food and doesn't spit up anything.

Any advice on what to do?? Anything at all we're willing to try.

(Yes if he gets to the point of no return, we will put him down)

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Very sorry to hear your baby has ADV. I am not a vet and I do not advocate "amateur experimentation" on pets, but I posted in another thread about ADV that it is not unknown in reptiles (turtles in the case I found) for a vet to give them an antiviral like acyclovir for a herpes-like condition. In humans, doctors give it for shingles, which is herpes zoster, so there anecdotal evidence that in at least one case, there is a similarity in treatment for viruses between humans and reptiles. IF there is an antiviral that treats some similar condition to ADV in humans and IF a vet can prescribe it for reptiles, then that would be something I would explore with my vet under controlled and humane conditions only! While it does no harm to ask, especially given the prognosis of dragons with this awful disease, the dragon's well being must always be forefront should you/the vet consider something like this.

No false hope here, just an idea. It would be awesome if someone, somewhere did something like this & had positive results as I don't expect that curing ADV in beardies is otherwise on the scientific community's radar.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your dragon is Adeno positive. It is a fairly common occurrence due to improper
breeding practices primarily.
What supplementation is being given currently? You can start with giving a few supplements
to help build up his immune system, initially. Milk Thistle is used very often in helping the liver
build up & regenerate so it can function better. How about good UVB lighting, which one is being
used?
I would also recommend using a liquid calcium for a higher calcium absorption. I have been
working towards a "remedy" to help clear it out of their systems. While I cannot claim a cure
since it is a supplement, I have had success with clearing it out on a couple of dragons.
The primary issue when helping out an adeno positive dragon is to keep their stress levels as
low as you can, while boosting their immune system so that they can better fight off secondary
infections.
Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom