Bearded dragon opens mouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedrickrumohr

Hatchling Member
I just bought a new beardie from the Herp World Expo in San Jose. Of course I understand that from relocation stress, their behavior is abnormal for a bit. But I just wanted to be 100% sure it's just relocation stress. So if there could be any other possible reasons please let me know! I spray her veggies with water, and have a water dish in her tank.. So let me know if anything's up. My basking spot is 103 and my cool spot is 88

durps

is the dragon opening her mouth while basking? if so, it's called venting.
when the human body starts to get too hot, the body cools it off by sweating. since dragons don't sweat, they cool off by "venting". when they vent, they expel some of their body heat through their mouths to regulate the body temperature. if your dragon is always venting while basking, then i suggest you try a lower wattage basking bulb because it might be too hot. if it vents a couple times a day then thats fine.
have you checked your temps with a temperature probe or temp gun?

tedrickrumohr

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
durps":3jlp4k32 said:
is the dragon opening her mouth while basking? if so, it's called venting.
when the human body starts to get too hot, the body cools it off by sweating. since dragons don't sweat, they cool off by "venting". when they vent, they expel some of their body heat through their mouths to regulate the body temperature. if your dragon is always venting while basking, then i suggest you try a lower wattage basking bulb because it might be too hot. if it vents a couple times a day then thats fine.
have you checked your temps with a temperature probe or temp gun?

I temp is usually in the low 90's at the hot spot and my tank is pretty wide with lots of shade, but yes, she does vent a few times while basking. I have 2 girls together same size, and still babies. One of them only vents a few times a day.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
You mentioned that you have two housed together? The gaping could also be a sign of aggression. And the previous poster is correct, you want your basking temps to be in the low 100's. What are you using to measure the temps?

tedrickrumohr

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am using a temp gun, and I am aware that the temp is lower than it should be :/ My mom thinks that the light uses too much electricity and I try to keep it on whenever she isn't home, or not paying attention. :(

Warrior

Hatchling Member
tedrickrumohr":2egnglnw said:
I am using a temp gun, and I am aware that the temp is lower than it should be :/ My mom thinks that the light uses too much electricity and I try to keep it on whenever she isn't home, or not paying attention. :(

This should have been discussed and agreed upon prior to purchasing the Dragon, the correct environment and temperatures are essential to the Dragons health.

Toyguy

Juvie Member
Warrior":69buhnxv said:
tedrickrumohr":69buhnxv said:

This should have been discussed and agreed upon prior to purchasing the Dragon, the correct environment and temperatures are essential to the Dragons health.

Couldn't agree more! The dragon needs 100-105 degrees for basking about 10-12 hours a day, every day. Anything less is simply irresponsible. You have a duty to the animal to provide the correct habitat. If your parents won't allow that, you need to find a home for the animal that will.

tedrickrumohr

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Toyguy":25vf4gqi said:
Warrior":25vf4gqi said:
tedrickrumohr":25vf4gqi said:

Couldn't agree more! The dragon needs 100-105 degrees for basking about 10-12 hours a day, every day. Anything less is simply irresponsible. You have a duty to the animal to provide the correct habitat. If your parents won't allow that, you need to find a home for the animal that will.
I understand how to take care of a bearded dragon. I would never let anyone else have my dragons. I just bought a reptiglo 10.0. Have a hot spot of 103 and a cool spot of 90

BryanaE

So we did some experimentation with multiple temp guns and the bulb we had still produced the same amount of heat as the new one. The gun Ted was using is way off. Their hot and cool spots are at ideal temperatures and I don't think it is a sign of aggression as these are both juvies. I am thinking durps is correct with his assessment and they are trying to expel heat. They don't vent a lot we just have never had a dragon who did so it was a little alarming at first.

Thanks guys.

PS- No matter what the dragons DO and always had gotten around 10 hours in that temp.

MrHM1020

Hatchling Member
My dragon opens its mouth while basking as well. I hear that that is its way of cooling off and helps metabolism. It doesnt do it often just a couple of times a day (2-3), then it just sits there. My basking spot is around 104-106 for my baby beardie. And the cool is around high 80s low 90's. Is this normal? Or should i lower the heat emitted from my basking lamp bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom