Bearded Dragon not growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzynom

My bearded dragon is 9 months old and is about 16 inches long and it seems like he's not growing anymore. He's been the same size for a month or so now. When I first got him he was growing like crazy and now he seems stunted. He eats a ton of crickets twice a day every day and he gets plenty of fruits and greens and calcium and multivitamin. His uvb and basking spot is fine. Is it normal for him to just stop growing like that? Is he considered small?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Enzynom":35j3lmwq said:
My bearded dragon is 9 months old and is about 16 inches long and it seems like he's not growing anymore. He's been the same size for a month or so now. When I first got him he was growing like crazy and now he seems stunted. He eats a ton of crickets twice a day every day and he gets plenty of fruits and greens and calcium and multivitamin. His uvb and basking spot is fine. Is it normal for him to just stop growing like that? Is he considered small?

Are you weighing him regularly and do you have a chart of his growth (weight) over time ?
They can have periods (several weeks where they grow lots , and then a period where the growth tapers off) once they become juveniles, teenagers , preadults.
FYI
at 9 months old
Peppa (F) was 367.6g
Toothless (M) was 291.6g
Rex (F) was 280.3g
Puff (M) was 283.7g

What uv lighting do you have EXACTLY ( % UVB rating , type = MVB ? compact (and wattage) ? T8 (and wattage) or T5 (and wattage) ?
is it mounted ontop a mesh top ?
how far from the basking spot ?
when did you buy the globe or tube ? is it older than 6 months old ==> needs replacement as no longer producing enough UVA or UVB.

is he sharing with another beardie ?

temperatures (basking spot ? daytime warm zone ?) and how are you measuring the temperatures ?

lighting schedule ?

feeding schedule ? cricket size used, how many per session ? when ? are they gutloaded (how ?) and are they dusted with calcium powder (how much how often) ?

Enzynom

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":9r7dxoah said:
Enzynom":9r7dxoah said:

Are you weighing him regularly and do you have a chart of his growth (weight) over time ?
They can have periods (several weeks where they grow lots , and then a period where the growth tapers off) once they become juveniles, teenagers , preadults.
FYI
at 9 months old
Peppa (F) was 367.6g
Toothless (M) was 291.6g
Rex (F) was 280.3g
Puff (M) was 283.7g

What uv lighting do you have EXACTLY ( % UVB rating , type = MVB ? compact (and wattage) ? T8 (and wattage) or T5 (and wattage) ?
when did you buy the globe or tube ? is it older than 6 months old ==> needs replacement as no longer producing enough UVA or UVB.

temperatures (basking spot ? daytime warm zone ?) and how are you measuring the temperatures ?

lighting schedule ?

feeding schedule ? cricket size used, how many per session ? when ? are they gutloaded (how ?) and are they dusted with calcium powder (how much how often) ?

I don't weigh him regularly or have a chart that follows his growth, I just measure him every now and again and just so happened to notice that even though he sheds, he isn't growing any longer. His UVB is desert 50 compact that's mounted on a mesh top about 4 inches away from his basking spot. I just replaced it recently so I know it is working. He is my only beardie so he isn't sharing. The temperature in his basking spot maintains about 95 and about 75 in his cool zone. His lighting schedule is from 8 am to 8 pm. I feed him about 7 large crickets twice a day dusted in calcium sometimes more depending. I typically just let him eat until he stops when he gets full which is at about 7. They are gutloaded with food that I feed them that consists of different fruits and vegetables. He acts completely normal and healthy. Always alert and active and he sheds regularly. I was just curious about his size.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
If he's shedding it means he's still growing, maybe just not in length.

I'd chalk it up to your UVB and basking spot not being where it should be.
Basking temps should be around 105-110 for a growing dragon, and compact UVB doesn't give off appropriate waves needed at a steady pace.
Both of these things can impact his appetite, growth, and general health.

I'd recommend switching to a long/tube style UVB when you can and bumping up his temps. Even at 9 mo your dragon should be willing to eat more than 14 crickets a day which may be partially why his growth slowed down, though every dragon does grow differently.

I'd also recommend as kingofnobbies said and invest in a good digital scale. Once they are an adult especially, their weight is one of the best things to monitor for health.

Enzynom

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":36a833bv said:
If he's shedding it means he's still growing, maybe just not in length.

I'd chalk it up to your UVB and basking spot not being where it should be.
Basking temps should be around 105-110 for a growing dragon, and compact UVB doesn't give off appropriate waves needed at a steady pace.
Both of these things can impact his appetite, growth, and general health.

I'd recommend switching to a long/tube style UVB when you can and bumping up his temps. Even at 9 mo your dragon should be willing to eat more than 14 crickets a day which may be partially why his growth slowed down, though every dragon does grow differently.

I'd also recommend as kingofnobbies said and invest in a good digital scale. Once they are an adult especially, their weight is one of the best things to monitor for health.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind and see if he gets any better

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Enzynom":17hdekp1 said:
kingofnobbys":17hdekp1 said:
Enzynom":17hdekp1 said:

FYI
at 9 months old
Peppa (F) was 367.6g
Toothless (M) was 291.6g
Rex (F) was 280.3g
Puff (M) was 283.7g

lighting schedule ?

I don't weigh him regularly or have a chart that follows his growth, I just measure him every now and again and just so happened to notice that even though he sheds, he isn't growing any longer. His UVB is desert 50 compact that's mounted on a mesh top about 4 inches away from his basking spot.

<<<< is this it http://www.zillarules.com/all-products/lighting-heating/fluorescent-coil-bulbs ?
it's equiv to a 26W UVB150 (a 5% UVB compact) and hence very unadequate for a growing young beardie who needs extreme levels of UVA and UVB. I strongly recommend swapping it out for a 26W UVB200 (a 10% UVB compact) , and furthermore , remove the mesh that is blocking the transmission of the UVA and UVB from the source (likely blocking in excess of 25% of the UVA and UVB) OR locate the uv source UNDER the mesh.
If you just recently bought the new compact, ask for an exchange to a 26W UVB200.

Young growing beardies need very high levels of both UVA and UVB (at least 10%, UVI > 11 at the basking spot) .
The UVA is essential for sight , activity and apetite.
The UVB is NECESSARY for metabolisation of dietary calcium to produce sufficient VitD to promote good bone growth and the growth of new tissues.

I just replaced it recently so I know it is working. He is my only beardie so he isn't sharing. The temperature in his basking spot maintains about 95 and about 75 in his cool zone.

<<< a tad cool , bump this up by either
>> more wattage
>> or by moving the basking globe closer
>> or by moving the basking spot closer to the globe
an additional 5 degrees F will be very good and will have the benefit of the beardie being more able to digest his food and metabolise it.

His lighting schedule is from 8 am to 8 pm.
<<< 12 hours is too short , I recommend bumping it up by 3 to 4 hours , I run my schedule at 16hrs (lights and heat on 6am, feed lunchtime (my youngest lizards are 18 months old) and lights and heat off at 10pm).

I feed him about 7 large crickets twice a day dusted in calcium sometimes more depending.
<<< I'm not sure what is classified as "large" crickets there. At 9 months old Peppa and Toothless were taking medium (1/3 - 2/3 size) crickets , and total of 20 crickets EACH / pay split over am and pm feedings per day + greens .
I suspect if the crickets are the same size as I was using then you are underfeeding your beardie, a 9 month old beardie needs LOTS of high quality insect protein and not much greens and salad for good development and growth , this is easy fixed..

I typically just let him eat until he stops when he gets full which is at about 7. <<< when you have the temperatures tweaked and the UVA and UVB levels right, you'll notice fairly soon an increase in his apetite and growth rate.

They are gutloaded with food that I feed them that consists of different fruits and vegetables. He acts completely normal and healthy. Always alert and active and he sheds regularly. I was just curious about his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom