Bearded dragon not eating

kmariet47

Neglected bearded dragon I took in about a month ago and I am at a loss. As far as I know he is 7-10 years old, had improper UVB at least for the last couple of years. He was being fed hornworms, mealworms and collard greens but was not always eating them nor was he being fed everyday. The pads on his head are severely sunken in.

What I have been doing: giving baths with or without the electrolyte soak, syringe feeding (collard greens, butternut squash, endive, dandelion greens, etc. as well as the flunkers reptaboost.) He poops everyday twice a day but sometimes it looks really painful for him. I recently started trying to force feed him some greens and bugs with calcium d3 and probiotics as well as Repashy beardie buffet but the vet told me not to because it could make things worse. I’m going to bring in a stool sample to check for parasites; however, the vet just keeps telling me to leave the food in the tank at all times but I do and it doesn’t make any difference. He has been black bearding sometimes but it’s usually when he’s in his basking spot and it’s too hot for him so I move him. He can move himself but it’s clear he has MBD. Also, I just got him the T5 UVB and I am hoping that makes a difference because right now the only thing that has changed since I got him is he is more alert.

Any advice would be appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Neglected bearded dragon I took in about a month ago and I am at a loss. As far as I know he is 7-10 years old, had improper UVB at least for the last couple of years. He was being fed hornworms, mealworms and collard greens but was not always eating them nor was he being fed everyday. The pads on his head are severely sunken in.

What I have been doing: giving baths with or without the electrolyte soak, syringe feeding (collard greens, butternut squash, endive, dandelion greens, etc. as well as the flunkers reptaboost.) He poops everyday twice a day but sometimes it looks really painful for him. I recently started trying to force feed him some greens and bugs with calcium d3 and probiotics as well as Repashy beardie buffet but the vet told me not to because it could make things worse. I’m going to bring in a stool sample to check for parasites; however, the vet just keeps telling me to leave the food in the tank at all times but I do and it doesn’t make any difference. He has been black bearding sometimes but it’s usually when he’s in his basking spot and it’s too hot for him so I move him. He can move himself but it’s clear he has MBD. Also, I just got him the T5 UVB and I am hoping that makes a difference because right now the only thing that has changed since I got him is he is more alert.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers and get the surface basking temps - 95-100 -- the UVB get it either in the tank or take the screen off and place directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches -- watch his behavior - please make sure hes hydrated that can effect them not eating - is he drinking in the bath?

kmariet47

Original Poster
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers and get the surface basking temps - 95-100 -- the UVB get it either in the tank or take the screen off and place directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches -- watch his behavior - please make sure hes hydrated that can effect them not eating - is he drinking in the bath?
I do have a digital thermometer and the temps never exceed 100. He drinks water in the bath but not enough. I try with the syringe but am unsure how much water should be given

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I do have a digital thermometer and the temps never exceed 100. He drinks water in the bath but not enough. I try with the syringe but am unsure how much water should be given
He will drink when he's had enough- once you get the uvb situated watch his behavior -

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The poor little guy, i hope you can bring him around, it make me so mad when people neglect them. You can get omnivore critical care from your vet or from amazon. Its packed full of nutrients. It can be mixed thicker or thinner depending on what your trying to accomplish. I've used it very successfully with my beardies. It smells good, and must taste good also because mine would eat it when they wouldn't touch other food. Also if you can get him outside for an hour or so daily in the real sun its amazing what it will do to help bring him around. Just be careful not to over heat him or let him wonder off(we have seen a few lost beardies on here of late).
Please keep us posted on his progress, we all aways root for every single beardie.

kmariet47

Original Poster
The poor little guy, i hope you can bring him around, it make me so mad when people neglect them. You can get omnivore critical care from your vet or from amazon. Its packed full of nutrients. It can be mixed thicker or thinner depending on what your trying to accomplish. I've used it very successfully with my beardies. It smells good, and must taste good also because mine would eat it when they wouldn't touch other food. Also if you can get him outside for an hour or so daily in the real sun its amazing what it will do to help bring him around. Just be careful not to over heat him or let him wonder off(we have seen a few lost beardies on here of late).
Please keep us posted on his progress, we all aways root for every single beardie.
I can’t seem to find this omnivore critical care anywhere

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I had not actually looked on Amazon, i got mine at my vet but the receptionist looked it up and said it was available on Amazon.

kmariet47

Original Poster
Update on the dragon: he’s gotten worse. He’s more lethargic and now he keeps closing his eyes. His head is so sunken in. I’m trying everything but he just won’t eat on his own. There is only one emergency vet near me and they won’t see him because the exotic doctor is never there. Everywhere is booking out weeks for an appointment but I don’t think he has that kind of time, the poor guy is so malnourished I don’t know what else I can do. Please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update on the dragon: he’s gotten worse. He’s more lethargic and now he keeps closing his eyes. His head is so sunken in. I’m trying everything but he just won’t eat on his own. There is only one emergency vet near me and they won’t see him because the exotic doctor is never there. Everywhere is booking out weeks for an appointment but I don’t think he has that kind of time, the poor guy is so malnourished I don’t know what else I can do. Please help!
Are you feeding him by syringe? If not please get some food in him - make up.a slurry of greens and make sure it's soupy so he's getting water- feed slow let him swallow what you put in

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom