Bearded dragon is making a strange noise , freaking out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Blankets dont work really the same as they do for humans. We produce our own heat while beardies dont. So a blanket really wouldnt keep her warmer. But a CHE which screws into sunlight fixture and can be used to shine heat down from above would be best.

-Brandon

Max1367

Original Poster
Max1367":3u9kfn5y said:
claudiusx":3u9kfn5y said:
Hi there,

The video does appear to show her at least trying to clear her lungs of something.

Do you watch her in the bath? Is it possible she might have aspirated some liquid.

They can get water in their lungs on occasion, it doesnt instantly mean RI though. Their bodies are capable of clearing their own lungs before infection sets in. But it's always a possibilty. But remember, water in the lungs does not equal RI. An infection in the lungs is.

68% actually is decently high assuming you're using an accurate hygrometer. Many are quite inaccurate. Either way when an ri is suspected or a potential, 68% really isnt a number you want to see.

Like Vingam suggested, if you can keep the temp at night around 80, that will help dry out the lungs a bit and it will help keep the immune system more active which will help the lungs too.

What did she eat today? Anything too big that she could have got stuck?

Has she been black bearding at all?

-Brandon
I always watch her In the bath, she always stays right beside me in a 20g tub. Filled to the top of her legs . This time tho, it was a bit higher than usual. So I put a brick in there so she could have a place to rest . She drank a bit of water and submerged her head in the water . I check every five minutes . I figured she was find but she may had got some water In her lungs. Do you think I should keep the lights on over night and make sure she is basking ?
She hasn’t had a black beard in about a year , she is also a female tho, very uncommon. It is dark in her terrarium and she is still coughing . I am worried sick man , I really have no clue what to do . The temps are about 65 is my guess which is fine , that’s usually what it gets to in where they live . Do you suggest that I keep the lights on overnight ?

Max1367

Original Poster
claudiusx":175wg4bz said:
She probably did get water in her lungs. It's happened to one of my dragons too before.

No, of you dont have a CHE then keeping it dark so she can sleep is more important than keeping her a bit warmer. As long as your house doesnt get too cold.
The beauty of the CHEs is they produce heat but no light, so they are perfect for night. Unlike those "night" bulbs which put out red or purple light which does actually disturb their sleep.

If she isnt black bearding and acting normal, she will most likely do fine clearing her lungs herself. Just keep an eye on her and her behavior. And get that che to keep her warmer at night and she should be just fine.

Keep us updated.

-Brandon
I have tried to clear her lungs of water but she hate being upside down . I have tried but she isn’t having It. I guess l will just keep the lights on all night

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Females will black beard when in distress or pain. That's why I asked about it. There is a difference between males displaying a black beard for behavioral reasons and a sick or injured dragon displaying a black beard.

In the latter, it's an extreme display of severe discomfort or sickness so it's important to realize that.

-Brandon

Max1367

Original Poster
claudiusx":1pdjx1hs said:
Females will black beard when in distress or pain. That's why I asked about it. There is a difference between males displaying a black beard for behavioral reasons and a sick or injured dragon displaying a black beard.

In the latter, it's an extreme display of severe discomfort or sickness so it's important to realize that.

-Brandon
Yes , she has not displayed a black beard . Only about two times in two years . She has a bit of black on her beard in the video but that is all that she has . I have the lamp on right now , should I keep it on all night ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd let her sleep normally tonight, in darkness. Since she isn't black bearding she's most likely not in too much distress.
But like I said, if you can get her a CHE for tomorrow night it would be beneficial.
Hopefully tomorrow she will be feeling good and still have an appetite.

-Brandon

Max1367

Original Poster
claudiusx said:
I'd let her sleep normally tonight, in darkness. Since she isn't black bearding she's most likely not in too much distress.
But like I said, if you can get her a CHE for tomorrow night it would be beneficial.
Hopefully tomorrow she will be feeling good and still have an appetite.

-Brandon
Che? Sorry , not sure what that is. Guessing it’s a vet ? I really wish I could. She definitely has an appetite for insects , big surprise hahaha every beardie does . I will keep you posted Thoe thanks for your help. She hasn’t coughed in about an hour so all I have is hope that she gets better . Thanks for responding man. She coughs when I turn the lights off so I will keep em on for 30 more mins . Will post tommorow, have a gooder
Never mind . She just coughed a second ago , I am pretty lost . I will try my best to get a checkup

Max1367

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2tr442e7 said:
VingamSecuris":2tr442e7 said:
If you're referring to the humidity within the tank, 68% is quite a bit higher than what a bearded dragon should be exposed to. The recommended range is 40-35%. Having high humidity like that can result in an RI (respiratory infection). I absolutely insist on scheduling an appointment with a vet to get a professional look at this.

<<< nonsense …. RH at 68% is fine. 30s are ideal but don't stress if you can't get it in the house/tank.

If this isn't the internal humidity of the tank, especially by the basking area, I recommend keeping her under the lamp to try to reduce any liquid in the lungs, assuming that she accidentally breathed some in. These are things I would personally do if a vet isn't a choice at this very moment, the other thing you mentioned was tilting her to see if she coughing up any water- which is definitely something to attempt.

I recommend attempting to find a way- overnight- to keep her tank around 80*F so that her body temp is warmer and encourages the, presumed, water to evaporate and eventually come out.

Additionally, there's a vet who is online every day who can help significantly better than I can, if you're able to wait until tomorrow.
Can’t do so as she doesn’t wanna sleep at that angle , she is a stubborn girl. I have tried that several times . She backs up and turns away.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Che stands for ceramic heat emitter. it's what I was suggesting a few posts back.

-Brandon

Max1367

Original Poster
claudiusx":11sq3lmo said:
Che stands for ceramic heat emitter. it's what I was suggesting a few posts back.

-Brandon
Alright I’ll try that thanks. It gets to about 80 so it should be be fine . I’ll keep you updated

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Max1367":wijah3f0 said:
claudiusx":wijah3f0 said:
Hi there,

The video does appear to show her at least trying to clear her lungs of something.

Do you watch her in the bath? Is it possible she might have aspirated some liquid.

They can get water in their lungs on occasion, it doesnt instantly mean RI though. Their bodies are capable of clearing their own lungs before infection sets in. But it's always a possibilty. But remember, water in the lungs does not equal RI. An infection in the lungs is.

68% actually is decently high assuming you're using an accurate hygrometer. Many are quite inaccurate. Either way when an ri is suspected or a potential, 68% really isnt a number you want to see.

Like Vingam suggested, if you can keep the temp at night around 80, that will help dry out the lungs a bit and it will help keep the immune system more active which will help the lungs too.

-Brandon
She usually loves her collards.but recently she’s been ignoring them. I have a Dubai colonie so I fed her a half full grown roach just to give her some nutrients. How should I keep her tank at 80 I am not sure? If I keep the light on it will be at 105 <<< 105F at the basking spot ? or the entire warm zone of the tank ?
If it's the entire warm zone , it's TOO HOT , and needs to nudged down at least by 20F so only the basking spot is near 100F.
Btw in Canada we use farhrenthiet. So it is 20 c

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Max1367":23mnht52 said:
kingofnobbys":23mnht52 said:
VingamSecuris":23mnht52 said:
If you're referring to the humidity within the tank, 68% is quite a bit higher than what a bearded dragon should be exposed to. The recommended range is 40-35%. Having high humidity like that can result in an RI (respiratory infection). I absolutely insist on scheduling an appointment with a vet to get a professional look at this.

<<< nonsense …. RH at 68% is fine. 30s are ideal but don't stress if you can't get it in the house/tank.

If this isn't the internal humidity of the tank, especially by the basking area, I recommend keeping her under the lamp to try to reduce any liquid in the lungs, assuming that she accidentally breathed some in. These are things I would personally do if a vet isn't a choice at this very moment, the other thing you mentioned was tilting her to see if she coughing up any water- which is definitely something to attempt.

I recommend attempting to find a way- overnight- to keep her tank around 80*F so that her body temp is warmer and encourages the, presumed, water to evaporate and eventually come out.

Additionally, there's a vet who is online every day who can help significantly better than I can, if you're able to wait until tomorrow.
Can’t do so as she doesn’t wanna sleep at that angle , she is a stubborn girl. I have tried that several times . She backs up and turns away.
The trick is have a bit of cardboard under her so when she's sound asleep (flat as normal) you can simply prop up the rear end of the cardboard without disturbing her at all or even really touching her.

Max1367

Original Poster
Update on how my beardie is doing. She hasn’t coughed all day not that I have witnessed. But she isn’t eating her greens , which is normal sometimes. She ate a grape I feed her one every month or so , so she is still eating . And will eat any insects I put in there. I think it was just water but I am not to sure. I put her on that Mat over night. Seemed to fix the problem. If she’s still eating do you think it’s possible it’s still an infection? I will try to get her to a vet if need be .

Max1367

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":38f40dmp said:
Max1367":38f40dmp said:
claudiusx":38f40dmp said:
Hi there,

-Brandon
She usually loves her collards.but recently she’s been ignoring them. I have a Dubai colonie so I fed her a half full grown roach just to give her some nutrients. How should I keep her tank at 80 I am not sure? If I keep the light on it will be at 105 <<< 105F at the basking spot ? or the entire warm zone of the tank ?
If it's the entire warm zone , it's TOO HOT , and needs to nudged down at least by 20F so only the basking spot is near 100F.
Btw in Canada we use farhrenthiet. So it is 20 c
It’s the basking side , temps are all good. Cool side ranged from 65-75

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom