bearded dragon info

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryback

Hatchling Member
hey I have pair bearded dragons and been feeding greens like mustard. is that ok to feed because i can't afford feeders with being layed off and still paying the vet bills for these two. have no plans to give them away i like them.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
How old are your dragons? Babies and juveniles shouldn't go without protein (feeders) unless there is a medical reason.
As long as you use calcium and vitamins on the greens, I think it's okay for adults to go for long periods of time without any feeders (not 100% positive though)? You'll probably need to give the adults extra greens to make up for the bugs they aren't getting. :) Here's an awesome color-coded list of other foods you can feed dragons as well! http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

What a lot of people do is buy their feeders in bulk online; it's a whole lot cheaper per bug than going to the pet store. I can't think of any good bug websites off the top of my head, but you can probably pull up some threads about it if you use the forum Search tool. Or you can start a blaptica dubia roach colony! I think they take a couple/few months to get established, but once they're breeding and growing it's pretty much free bugs :)

Fingers crossed that you get a new job soon! Money problems are the worst :?

ryback

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
snazzyglasses":3qf5w1dt said:
How old are your dragons? Babies and juveniles shouldn't go without protein (feeders) unless there is a medical reason.
As long as you use calcium and vitamins on the greens, I think it's okay for adults to go for long periods of time without any feeders (not 100% positive though)? You'll probably need to give the adults extra greens to make up for the bugs they aren't getting. :) Here's an awesome color-coded list of other foods you can feed dragons as well! http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

What a lot of people do is buy their feeders in bulk online; it's a whole lot cheaper per bug than going to the pet store. I can't think of any good bug websites off the top of my head, but you can probably pull up some threads about it if you use the forum Search tool. Or you can start a blaptica dubia roach colony! I think they take a couple/few months to get established, but once they're breeding and growing it's pretty much free bugs :)

Fingers crossed that you get a new job soon! Money problems are the worst :?

They are 8.5 months got them at five weeks old. I don't like that colony taking few months. But thanks for the support. Using repta boost for now for some protein.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
oh I forgot to mention! Plain chicken or plain turkey baby food will work for protein for now til you can get your hands on some bugs. :) Stage 1 (the kind for the youngest baby age group) is best, and also check the ingredients to make sure there aren't any salt or sugars or sketchy chemicals in there. You can add a small pinch of their calcium or vitamin supplement to the baby food as well

ryback

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
snazzyglasses":1phypamc said:
oh I forgot to mention! Plain chicken or plain turkey baby food will work for protein for now til you can get your hands on some bugs. :) Stage 1 (the kind for the youngest baby age group) is best, and also check the ingredients to make sure there aren't any salt or sugars or sketchy chemicals in there. You can add a small pinch of their calcium or vitamin supplement to the baby food as well

Gotcha will have to do for a couple weeks.

ryback

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
jackiesmama":2dn6o2qu said:
what kind of colony? roaches?
Exactly crickets some guy told me are a lot tougher to breed. Prefer cricket colony for anoles and geckos. But need to get by for now.

Lurhstaap

Juvie Member
Crickets ARE kind of a pain to breed. Personally I would also suggest a hornworm colony. Hornworms are relatively easy to keep and breed, at least from what I have been reading. I plan to start one myself next paycheck.

ryback

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lurhstaap":1uote5hr said:
Crickets ARE kind of a pain to breed. Personally I would also suggest a hornworm colony. Hornworms are relatively easy to keep and breed, at least from what I have been reading. I plan to start one myself next paycheck.
Ain't they like moths or something.

jackiesmama

Juvie Member
crickets are harder to breed and i would try to breed something that has more nutrition for your baby... like dubia roaches.,., they are real easy to breed , easy to take care of , and beardies love them :)

ryback

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
jackiesmama":3vmhjrli said:
crickets are harder to breed and i would try to breed something that has more nutrition for your baby... like dubia roaches.,., they are real easy to breed , easy to take care of , and beardies love them :)
maybe but there to costly. thanks anyways been doing ok with eating greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom