Bearded dragon head foot ripped off and now has discoloration on the scales around the injury

Jaj2433

Beardie name(s)
Draco
I just got in about a month ago and his head part of his foot cut off and now he's got greenish discoloration scales around the area should I be concerned

Attachments

• IMG_20240520_184725546.jpg
    IMG_20240520_184725546.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20240520_184404799.jpg
    IMG_20240520_184404799.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 48

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is your dragon housed alone or with another dragon?
That is a serious injury. Do you have any raw unpasteurized honey or antibiotic ointment you
could put on the affected area until you get him to a vet?
I am not sure what is going on with the scales there. Can you post a few more pictures for
us please?

Tracie

Jaj2433

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Hello,

That is a serious injury. Do you have any raw unpasteurized honey or antibiotic ointment you
I am not sure what is going on with the scales there. Can you post a few more pictures for
us please?

Tracie
I took him to a vet 2 weeks ago and just had a follow-up appointment today he's gained a little bit of weight and the affection has gone down and yeah I got antibiotic ointment and antibiotics that they give to me to give to him and he is house and alone and I'll post pictures in a little bit

Jaj2433

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Draco
The first picture is what it looks like now the second is what it looked like when I first got him they cut up to his knee cap off already

Attachments

• IMG_20240521_014903228_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20240521_014903228_PORTRAIT.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20240521_014903228_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20240521_014903228_PORTRAIT.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240427_035902545.jpg
    IMG_20240427_035902545.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 40

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he is improving, poor guy. Can I ask what on earth caused this type of injury while you
were away?

Tracie

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I just got in about a month ago and his head part of his foot cut off and now he's got greenish discoloration scales around the area should I be concerned
Is your dragon a rescue dragon and the injury happened with the previous owner? Your dragon also is very skinny. Is he eating well, what are you doing to get his weight up?
(I'm not sure if "I just got in" should be "I just got him".)

Jaj2433

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Is your dragon a rescue dragon and the injury happened with the previous owner? Your dragon also is very skinny. Is he eating well, what are you doing to get his weight up?
Hello,

us please?

Tracie

Yes he is a rescue I am feeding him more often and giving him vitamin supplements and he has gained weight and we're going on two weeks set checkups with the vet

Jaj2433

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Hello,

I hope he is improving, poor guy. Can I ask what on earth caused this type of injury while you
were away?

Tracie
To be honest I'm not sure I got him off somebody she said that he got tangled up in her hair and she went to pull him out in the foot just was left in her hair I'm not sure but we're slowly starting to get him better I think I just wanted to get some people's opinion on what else would help

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yeah, that seems highly unlikely that his foot would rip off by simply getting caught in her hair. It is probably due to being housed with another dragon or two.
I am glad to hear that he is improving right now. Keep us posted on his progress.

Tracie

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Hello,

Yeah, that seems highly unlikely that his foot would rip off by simply getting caught in her hair. It is probably due to being housed with another dragon or two.
I am glad to hear that he is improving right now. Keep us posted on his progress.

Tracie
That - or indeed tangled in hair, but not in hair still on the head but in hair on the floor, dirt, and nobody cared until the limb was dead and came off. Can happen to small animals. Out of shame, it's then told a bit differently...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor baby, this was nothing to do with hair. You can see several areas that are consistent with bite wounds and it makes sense by seeing the very neglected condition he's in. Another dragon biting would cause this type of wound. Have you been able to get some raw honey for it or antibiotic cream ? Raw, unpasteurized honey is probably the best

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
He indeed looks very neglected, so thin, skin also just looks in a bad condition, this was immediately obvious to me. (Honestly, I was shocked when I saw the image.) The previous owner making up something by claiming the dragon was tangled in their hair and then the foot came of - that was obvious to me, such a thing won't happen.
Whether it's bite wounds or was tangled for a long time (I thought about the foot wounds often seen in pigeons, caused by them being tangled for a long time in hair, wire, threads until part of their feet die off) and nobody cared, there I for sure lacked experience - so thanks, @AHBD, learned something!
And I also hope he gets better, at least the wound, the weight, his overall health, despite sadly, the limb is gone :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely keep us posted on his progress! They are very resilient little souls so when they receive
good care they should begin to thrive.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post more pics og his side , it almost looks like fungus. Also it would also be better to keep him on newspaper or paper towels, that green carpet gets filthy and holds bacteria but newspaper can be changed daily.

Jaj2433

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Draco
I just got in about a month ago and his head part of his foot cut off and now he's got greenish discoloration scales around the area should I be concerne

That - or indeed tangled in hair, but not in hair still on the head but in hair on the floor, dirt, and nobody cared until the limb was dead and came off. Can happen to small animals. Out of shame, it's then told a bit differently...
We just went to the vet in the years gained a little late and they removed part of his life they said his health is improving but he still needs antibiotics

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom