Bearded dragon HARDLY EVER POOPS and won’t eat greens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my bearded dragon a few months ago, the owner before me told me he only poops once every other week or so. So far he had pooped about 3 times for me. However he hasn’t pooped in probably a little over 2 weeks for me. He’s a lazy dragon but hasn’t been less active than he normally is, is eat his insects and occasional blueberry when I give him fruit. I have tried warm baths and light massages. I don’t feel any lumps in his stomach like an impaction? I’ve tried pumpkin purée and mashed banana but he is seriously one of the pickiest dragons ever. All he will ever eat is insects and blueberries. I can never get him to eat his greens (I’ve tried literally everything- salad dressings, mixing insects with it, bee pollen, smoothies, everything..) I offer it daily regardless though. I’m not sure if anyone else has had dragons go this long without pooping naturally? Normally once a week is what I see as normal but he does not like pooping (or eating his veggies). Any other advice about the veggies too would be appreciated! Willing to try anything for that.

He has brand new UVB bulb (26 watt) and heat lamp his basking spot is about 100 degrees or a little more sometimes, so I know he isn’t to cold or lacking proper uvb.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a full body pic of your dragon and pics of the enclosure showing placement and type of lights ? Some adult dragons go much more seldom than others but it's always better if it's more regular. How often, how many and what type of insects are you feeding him ? You can try a little bit of pure grape juice or raw honey mixed with water, that can help them poo. And make the water a little warmer and deeper for a 10 minute soak. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ use the XIMG to upload them.

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
I use the zoo med reptisun 10.0 26 watt in a reflective dome. I want to get the strip light next when I need to replace the bulb again. I feed him protein about every other day and normally it’s crickets gut loaded with squash, oranges and carrots. I will give him a few super worms about once a week. Sometimes twice a week if I have a lot of super worms to use up, but no more than two at a time. I’ll upload some pictures, It’s nighttime now though the lights aren’t turned on. During the day I take the top screen out and put the uvb side over the lip so the screen isn’t blocking it. (I know the previous owner didn’t do that so he might have been lacking uvb from the previous home) I am going to upgrade to an Arcadia strip light I believe next though and put it on the inside of the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok make sure your uvb is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- is the 26 watt a reptisun ---the Arcadia is a better uvb- at this time people are having a hard time getting them- the 26 watt will need to be replaced 6 months after install I recommend 5-- I recommend a 24" pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb - you can keep checking www.pangeareptiles.com-- as far as the pooping goes it's not uncommon for them not too poop for periods of time- what are the basking temps that's what starts digestion those temps need to be 95-100 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Have you tried mincing up pieces of apple, mango, or berries in with his greens to see if that
helps to entice him to eat them? Or you can also try some butternut or winter squash & even
red or yellow/orange bell peppers for variety.
You can try giving some extra oral fluids to help hydrate him too in case he is a little dehydrated.
They can go days without going to the bathroom sometimes. Double check the basking spot
& overall temperatures to be sure he is at his optimal temperatures.

Tracie

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
Yes the basking area stays pretty much at 100 degrees. I turn his heat off at night but it stays low 70’s in his enclosure at night. I just replaced his UVB bulb two weeks ago about so the bulb isn’t bad, for the UVB I use the reptisun 10.0 26 watt. I have actually found the Arcadia bulbs so I may just go ahead and order that. My question for that is, does it hurt their eyes if you put in the the enclosure?

As for the greens, I’ve tried mixing his favorite fruits in. I’ve tried pumpkin and butternut squash and he won’t touch either and also bell peppers he sticks his nose up to. He is very stubborn

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes dragons get that way w/ their food -- it is frustrating -- No the Arcadia light is not going to hurt the eyes they are one of the safest on the market besides the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 tube --- depending on your screen on the tank it can be placed on top but it MUST BE a wide hole type no fine mesh then it will need to go inside the tank along w/ certain distance -- please let us know what you get so we can help you get it properly placed -- this is crucial to the effectiveness of the rays

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
What is the best way to hang in the tank? I’ve read you can use command hooks to hang it or I was thinking of leaving his screen off all the time and just setting it on top the metal frame. I know it has to be about 6-8” above basking area, but what’s the best way to install it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The distance for a 12% bulb is 12-15 inches w/ no obstruction directly above the basking decor ---- if you can have the screen off do it that way otherwise you can place on top of screen IF the screen is a WIDE HOLE-- other wise screen off or inside the tank --- IF the screen is a wide hole on top distance would be 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor ----
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
see if you can find this in your local home improvement store

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
Okay thank you! I don’t have a wide hole screen. I think I may pick one up though or use a wire shelf and put it on top on the enclosure and then put the uvb on that.

Do you know how long I should wait for him to use the bathroom without being worried? The previous owner said his normal was every other week and it’s been probably just over two weeks since he has gone last, maybe close to three weeks. He is eating and acting fine though. He’s a lazy dragon typically so it’s hard to tell really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom