Bearded Dragon doesn't like his Veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelphos

No because then he's not getting the nutrients from his greens like he should, try just dipping them and holding it in front of its mouth, if that doesn't work you should actually buy the squash, greens, mango..fruits and veggies and blend them up in a blender and feed him that with a syringe, it's not recommended to just feed them baby food, I only use a little bit on greens just so he eats them, you should never just flat out feed them baby food.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Madcow, that was a great video!!!! These little hard headed critters are so funny!!!!
The only way I can get mine to eat her greens is to tear off the little pieces and then put the piece between her lips and gently push it in until she takes it and eats it....or just pushes is out with her tongue. But she will usually eat about half of a large leaf before she starts spitting them out.
Good Luck
Kelly

hpoquiz":11bvk666 said:
So its been 4 days and i never saw my B.D. eat his veggies all he do is wait for his Supers/Mealies/Crickets to come since his 8Months old(18 Inches Long) when ever i try to handle him when he didnt eat he will run on the insects box -_- idk how can he know this but he knows where I keep the... How can I train him to eat veggies again?

My beardie, Bee-Dee, is exactly the same, he's also 7/8 months old and he waits for me to come home in the afternoon to feed him crickets/meal worms etc. I'm trying feeding him on grapes, red/yellow/green pepper, kale, and mango. So try these as this is what I've been told they like a lot, especially mango! Hope this helps :)

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Please refer to beautifuldragons.com. They have a very complete food list for dragons that most on here go by. It is very simple, color coded and all.

CWB

I put my Dubias or Waxworms under there veggies so they see them moving it helps. But when they go for the Dubias or Worms they will pick up greens with it. :D

kjpetriel

We give spike a nice fresh vegi salad every day, and everyday is dries up.. THE ONLY time I ever saw him munch on greens was the first week we brought him home. I didn't know I was supposed to chop up the greens so I put a whole leaf of collard in his tank. He ran over and munched on the thin, soft, sweet edges.

Since I've been chopping it up as directed... Nothing. He'll sit and lick the calcium dust spilled in his cage when we feed him crickets, but won't touch the vegis. (Never thought of baby food)

I'm going to try going back to the full leaf. It seems to me that that eatting the soft edges would be natural. The tough stuff they wouldn't be able to bite off.

He looks nice and healthy, but I'd like to see him eat more vegis...kind of like my kids.

zelphos

kjpetriel":1g4exles said:
We give spike a nice fresh vegi salad every day, and everyday is dries up.. THE ONLY time I ever saw him munch on greens was the first week we brought him home. I didn't know I was supposed to chop up the greens so I put a whole leaf of collard in his tank. He ran over and munched on the thin, soft, sweet edges.

Since I've been chopping it up as directed... Nothing. He'll sit and lick the calcium dust spilled in his cage when we feed him crickets, but won't touch the vegis. (Never thought of baby food)

I'm going to try going back to the full leaf. It seems to me that that eatting the soft edges would be natural. The tough stuff they wouldn't be able to bite off.

He looks nice and healthy, but I'd like to see him eat more vegis...kind of like my kids.

Put baby food on his greens they love that stuff, mango, squash and sweet pea, try that. Mine loves mustard greens dipped in sweet pea. He wouldn't touch his greens and now that I do that he prefers that even over super worms, he has no interest in them anymore now, just dont get baby food with any added ingredients it should only be that fruit or vegetable with water.

kjpetriel

When the kids where babies, we used to use canned veggies in a food processor.. I guess I'll try that first. Baby food is way more expensive than a 30 cent can of peas/squash/green beans.... You need to read the labels; because, most add sugar or TONS of salt.
Since I'm trying to hydrate the little dragon, I assume an over dose of canned veggie salt is not good.

Fortunately, the cheapest store brand canned veggies usually have the least stuff to make them taste good.

Try dotting kale around where he basks, or certain places you know he goes. Mine loves kale more than anything else and he's really picky!

kjpetriel

Ok friends... My PITA Beardy (Spike) STILL won't eat anything that doesn't move.... Tried Whipping peas in a food processor. Then tried it and added splenda (No sugar in my house). Broke down and bought real baby food... Coated the kale with the stuff.... tried chopped leaves, whole leaves..... If it doesn't move it doesn't get eaten. I even coated crickets with baby food ....That didn't work too well... They couldn't move well so he wouldn't eat them!! Arrrggh :banghead:

He even turns up his nose at his meal worms ( we call them french fries). He'll take cheese burgers (wax worms). But still prefers Jiminy Crickets.

Looks like I'm going to have to starve his little but.... He looks in the peak of health and is growing.. We bought him around March 15th, so he must be around 15 weeks old.

So do I hold off on the bugs for a day or two? Or do I allow him to be fussy?

In raising my kids.... They would have starved by now!!!
Pampered little brat :D

kjpetriel":1u1ddqfp said:
Ok friends... My PITA Beardy (Spike) STILL won't eat anything that doesn't move.... Tried Whipping peas in a food processor. Then tried it and added splenda (No sugar in my house). Broke down and bought real baby food... Coated the kale with the stuff.... tried chopped leaves, whole leaves..... If it doesn't move it doesn't get eaten. I even coated crickets with baby food ....That didn't work too well... They couldn't move well so he wouldn't eat them!! Arrrggh :banghead:

He even turns up his nose at his meal worms ( we call them french fries). He'll take cheese burgers (wax worms). But still prefers Jiminy Crickets.

Looks like I'm going to have to starve his little but.... He looks in the peak of health and is growing.. We bought him around March 15th, so he must be around 15 weeks old.

So do I hold off on the bugs for a day or two? Or do I allow him to be fussy?

In raising my kids.... They would have starved by now!!!
Pampered little brat :D

I have an idea, which i've started doing with mine. When he bathes and opens his mouth to 'deheat' put a little piece of veg in there, and he'll probably eat it. Mine did, and he's fussy too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom