Bearded Dragon doesn't like his Veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpoquiz

So its been 4 days and i never saw my B.D. eat his veggies all he do is wait for his Supers/Mealies/Crickets to come since his 8Months old(18 Inches Long) when ever i try to handle him when he didnt eat he will run on the insects box -_- idk how can he know this but he knows where I keep the... How can I train him to eat veggies again?

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Try putting the veggies in his viv first thing and feed the protein a little later in the day. You can put worms in the salad dish and he probably will accidentally eat some and realized it is good food. You might want to switch up what you use for salads maybe he doesn't like what your giving him. Check this chart out for advice on what to give him www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Also you could try hand feeding salad by dangling the leaf in front of him.

Be careful with superworms; It's recommended that they be at least 16 inches before introducing, and mealworms are NOT recommended for any size dragon.

Good luck hopefully he will come around with his veggies!! :D

hpoquiz

Original Poster
I tried everything to feed my beardie greens -_- starved him a day and he didnt eat his veggies still -____- he got addicted to insects mostly S.W. I dont know what to do now to feed him greens .... HELP PLEASE!

Silver

Hatchling Member
I am in the same boat with Silver....13 inches and 141 grams. Tried the tough love.....holding out on the worms but he hid behind the log and pouted. I put a salad in there every day and usually he poops in it! Had him outside and he did eat a couple dandelion leaves. Maybe they really will eat it when they are ready. I have tried squash baby food. I've even tried wrapping silkworms in bits of greens. I even put a mashed up blueberry in his mouth while he was gaping. He ate it but talk about stink eye....You are not alone. Good luck with your Veggie Wars.

Jeanne

DanaW

With my 2 juvies I put their salad in their tanks in the morning early, then feed them.crickets at noon. They both eat greens in the morning as soon as I put them in their now, but when I first started doing it they gave me major stink eyes. Now thy get it though. Just keep trying.

dwaith

EccentricME":39v297j0 said:
mealworms are NOT recommended for any size dragon.

I've never heard not to use mealworms before, and most sites list them as a staple. Why are they a problem? Thanks.

hpoquiz

Original Poster
Having a Veggie War here :) when i put the leaves infront of his mouth his gonna lick eat and move away but when the worms are coming even its out of the tank his gonna die aiming for it. -___- this will be tough. I guess his former owner trained him to full insects no veggies thats why his thin but healthy.

madcow

I feel your pain. Mine eats his greens (he likes red veggies), but only a little and never in a worm salad. Check out how skillfully he picks the worms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1knaTdeORc

He tries to dig the worms out, spits any veggies around and patiently waits for the worms.

And this video is after 6 days without bugs; he was on greens and pellets only. And even then he eats just ~5 pieces of veggies a day. They can be pretty stubborn.

Good luck with your salad wars :|

hpoquiz

Original Poster
Mine he never spits it when the worm comes with leaves. But if you give him just greens he will start running away. Idk whats wrong with him... and now im worried coz hes not pooping for 5 days.

Silver

Hatchling Member
Awesome video ...Silver ate some Swiss chard.....only because it was stuck to his silkworms. He ate about 6 or 8 pieces. But he will not eat greens or veggies without worms. He was less cautious than in the video only because the worms stuck to the leaves. He does the same head shake but keeps eating. Small victory I suppose. Will keep at it.

Jeanne

zelphos

Dip the greens in baby food. Squash, sweet peas, sweet potatoes, you gotta test them out to see what it likes, mine personally LOVES sweet pea for some reason and hates the squash kind. I tried this and mine finally eats his greens and loves them, before he wouldn't even open his mouth to taste them.

zelphos

I tear off small enough pieces of collards greens and just dip them in the baby food, I don't get too much on tho, just a bit for them to taste and smell it and then I hand feed it

hpoquiz

Original Poster
I dont like putting something on my bearded dragons mouth coz he glares at me like whats yo problem.

So i use a syringe ? Any videos guys ? It will be helpful thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom