Bearded dragon does not like red night time light

Status
Not open for further replies.

catscats74

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if there is any reason I should avoid using the red bulb for heat at night instead of the blue bulb. I had always used the blue one and Fritz was fine with it. Last week, I had to buy the red bulb because blue was sold out. Ever since using the red one, he goes nuts when I turn it on at night. He jumps around and tries to climb the glass. He gets very agitated. Looking for ideas as to why that would be?
Thanks!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, any bulbs at night can disturb their sleep and you don't need any heat at night unless your room temp drops below 65 degrees. If it does, you can get a ceramic heat emitter. This site has them for the cheapest price that I've seen at $13.99 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+20030+11291&pcatid=11291

What size tank are you using and what is the wattage of the red bulb because it's also possible that it makes the tank too hot and that would also be another reason that he can't sleep with it on.

catscats74

Original Poster
Thank you Diane. I will check into the heat emitter because it does get cold in here at night. The funny thing is that he goes nuts as soon as I turn on the red light. He never did that with the blue light.

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
a lot of beardies don't seem to like red; I have a friend who found that if she wears red near her beardie he becomes aggressive.
A lot of people think they can't see red light but this is a myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom