Bearded dragon diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kpulver92

My bearded dragon is 6 weeks old and just started having diarrhea last night. He went twice so far and he's just been sleeping and laying around. The only thing different was the basking area was around 85 for a short time and I have him a few mealworms.. Can someone please help?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The low temperatures may have led to digestion issues. Does he have a good UVB light? What are the temperatures now? It could just be a temporary upset stomach which should clear up soon. Don't worry too much about the salads for now. It's not unusual for young dragons to prefer bugs as they need the protein to support growth spurts. Can you post some photos of him? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

Kpulver92

Original Poster
His eyes are puffy and he gets irritated when you pick him up but he does like when I put some water on him. But he just lays around and sleeps. He didn't eat anything yesterday or poop. The basking area is 105 degrees. I'm a first time beardie owner. Someone had told me he might be shedding for the first time.
86399-1249252982.jpg
86399-5422327854.jpg
86399-728062676.jpg
86399-3107085205.jpg
86399-7646244997.jpg

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
How is your baby doing? Have you had a Fecal test done on him? You might want to try getting some bee pollen and if he doesn't eat soon you might want to syringe feed him some baby food squash with his calcium and bee pollen mixed in,,you might want to get some pedialyte to give him too

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with the above. It's possibly a shed but I don't see signs of a major shed in the photos. That is usually when you see the swollen/bulging eyes though. That doesn't account for the lethargic behavior which is concerning. He still looks like he's a healthy weight though which is encouraging. May want to monitor his weight using a kitchen scale so you can get a good idea of the trends. 105 is good for the basking area. Is the cool side down around 75-80 or so? A nice gradient is important. A good UVB light source at appropriate height is important too. What are you using for UVB?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Aw, poor guy. I'm sorry to hear this. He likely had an illness from when you got him and didn't have much of a chance. Unfortunately this is the case sometimes. =(

Kpulver92

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I got him from a private owner. I'm going to get one from the pet store, I think I'd have a better chance.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, the poor little thing. I am so sorry for your loss, he was so very young, too. :cry: He obviously was ill straight from the start.

Tracie

Kpulver92

Original Poster
Would you suggest I throw out everything in the tank and start fresh? I just don't want to get another one and it end up sick...

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Yes. Steam would be your best bet for sterilizing the tank. Or you could clean it first with bleach then rinse very well then clean again with ammonia. Do not mix the two or it will be toxic.

Kpulver92

Original Poster
We decided to get a whole new setup we didn't want to take any chances with the new beardie! But we got it this morning and set everything up and we just went for our new bearded dragon. He is very healthy looking and active!
86399-3364679758.jpg
86399-8355226004.jpg
86399-3563797446.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom