Bearded dragon bit tail it's hanging off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalbish18

Original Poster
My bearded dragon has bitten the end of it's tail off and I can see bone and flesh but he's not bleeding. Their is a few scales that's keeping it attached some how. The bearded dragon doesn't seem at all fazed about it and is eating and running about as usual..I'm unsure what to do as theirs not any vets close that do reptiles that don't charge a fortune.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Do you have a picture of it? Have you used anything to clean the wound? I would clean it in some betadine then apply some raw honey on it as long as there are no bugs loose in the tank otherwise use some neosporin without pain reliever. The part hanging off will more than likely die and will fall off, you just need to make sure it doesn't get infected. If it's bad though you may need to bring it to a vet.

crystalbish18

Original Poster
This is the picture of the tail. He doesn't seem bothered and is eating and shedding fine. I have been keeping a close eye on him and cleaning the Viv out regularly and removing his food bowl once he's eaten.
received_515098759941732.jpeg

Attachments

• Snapchat-722396138.jpg
    Snapchat-722396138.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 67

SPandS

Juvie Member
How long has the broken off piece looked like that? It looks like it's been dead for a while. As long as the tip looks healed over and not infected that other piece will fall off and everything should be ok. Just keep an eye on it in case tail rot forms.

SPandS

Juvie Member
If the end piece has looked like that since the end of December and there isn't any sign of infection he should be fine. There was no blood or anything because that end piece that broke off is dead and there isn't any blood going to it that's why he doesn't mind it being broke off.

crystalbish18

Original Poster
IMG_20220206_040005.jpg
this is how his tail looks now not sure if this is good .. the tail is still attached think by a scale but not sure. Only issue is it's causing him pain when he moves as the bone from the broken peace is jabbing the part that's healing.. any advice what to do about this. Thanks

SPandS

Juvie Member
I don't want to give any advice that may cause more harm but if it were me and I wasn't able to bring it to a vet I would think about cutting it off. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better idea. You could always just keep it clean and dry and it should fall off eventually.

crystalbish18

Original Poster
Update on rangos tail. He still seems completely fine and have been keeping an eye on him and insuring everything is extra clean to provent any infections or anything. Can anyone tell me if this looks to be healing or should I start to worry again?

Attachments

• IMG_20220208_231050.jpg
    IMG_20220208_231050.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 87

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with SandP and would snip that off with a sterilized sharp scissors, it shouldn't bother your dragon at all. If it hangs on like that it might bother him by getting caught on something so a quick snip will solve the problem. You can dab it with betadine or raw honey after or just leave it since it's not bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom