Bearded Dragon beard going black easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzynom

This morning when I went to feed my bearded dragon and turn on his day light, I noticed that his beard was black. After feeding, it took a little while to fully go away. This is strange because he usually only get stress marks when he is hungry and they will go away immediately upon feeding. Also all day he seemed to go black beard easily when being handled. He never does this. He is also a tad bit lethargic by not trying to explore and lick like usual and not eating his greens today which is strange because he loves his greens almost as much as he loves his crickets. Any ideas what might be going on? He was acting completely normal yesterday.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Is beard extended when his beard is black?
If not, look him over really good. Move his limbs around to check for breaks and range of motion. Could be pain related..

Enzynom

Original Poster
His beard doesn't expand when it goes black and all of his extremities are working fine. He just isn't his usual self today. He didn't look dehydrated but I gave him more water than usual just in case and he did perk up a bit so maybe I need to start giving him more water than usual on a daily basis.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
How often does he get veggies, and does he eat them?
If he's not eating vegetables he will get dehydrated, so you'll have the dribble it on his head so he can drink.
When was his last bowel movement (poop) and what did it look like. Weird question but its important.

Enzynom

Original Poster
He eats his veggies everyday. He loves them and his poop has always been regular every one or two days. It's solid and not too hard but not too soft and it's a light brownish color. His uric is the same consistency as his poop and it's white with no other color. Some extra water always comes out every time he uses the bathroom. His last bowel movement was this morning shortly after eating and it looked like normal except it seemed the uric coated the bowel movement instead of just coming out in a little clump. I mist him everyday with spring water and most of the time he doesn't drink it but today I decided to put the water in the lid because I was willing to try anything to make him feel better and he drank at least 2 cap fulls of water (12 oz bottle) I stopped after that because I was afraid of giving him too much water but he was drinking it up. Most of the time when I mist him he will drink a few drops but then stop opening his mouth when I put it on his nose as if to say he is done but when I gave him the water from the cap he kept drinking.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Okay, so its very unlikely dehydration or impaction is the problem. Nor does it sound like its a broken bone or something.
Not sure what's the real reason is for the lethargy or black beard is. I'm stumped...
If it continues or worsens a vet visit might be needed.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Was it a full on BB , or a half hearted BB (ie just the fringe of the beard and "whisker spikes" black) ?
There are lots of reasons for a beardie to do a BB.I find my beardies (especially Rex my 4 yr old girl and Toothless our little boy) regularly show a half hearted BB when too warm or getting urgent to go the toilet.

How old is he ?
Could be hormonal .... boys go really BB when stroppy (teenage beardie boy thing sets in), or they don't like having their territory invaded, or when horny and frustrated .

Enzynom

Original Poster
He is 5 months old and he went full BB. He still isn't eating his greens despite me getting fresh and different greens just in case he was just tired of his other ones. He didn't drink as much water either but he ate a good spoonful of baby food prunes. He is eating his crickets just fine. He still seems a tad bit lazy but I wouldn't call it lethargic now

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Enzynom":wm6z8eem said:
He is 5 months old and he went full BB. He still isn't eating his greens despite me getting fresh and different greens just in case he was just tired of his other ones. He didn't drink as much water either but he ate a good spoonful of baby food prunes. He is eating his crickets just fine. He still seems a tad bit lazy but I wouldn't call it lethargic now

Aha ! stroppy adolescent boy is your problem, he'll settle and calm down , might take several months but you'll survive the "interesting" times.

Enzynom

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":vb1253ug said:
Aha ! stroppy adolescent boy is your problem, he'll settle and calm down , might take several months but you'll survive the "interesting" times.
Can you define stroppy for me? This is the first time I've heard of it and I'm just curious about what I need to look forward to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom