Bearded Dragon Acting Lazy, Is This Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

I hope you all are still doing ok after this insane year. Drogon and I have spent time watching TV and cuddling :)

I've noticed something strange that I wanted to share. A few months ago, Drogon was on vinyl flooring and ALWAYS looking to get out and go nuts. Now, I changed to fine calcium sand a few months ago with no issues. In fact, he seems to just want to hang in his hammock and sunbathe allllll day!
Here are some other facts and behaviors to consider:
- Changed to feeding once a day, now poops every other day (it's pretty stinky x-x) :oops:
- Almost a year old
-Noticed some hiding behaviors when he's out of the tank, loves to squeeze under stuff and is digging more and checking out his 2 caves.
-In the mid to late afternoon, he usually loves running around, especially hopping up and down the stairs and always exploring

Also, is it normal that when they get excited they breathing is a little heavier? No bubbles, respiratory sounds etc.

Do you think he's starting to brumate or is he just a lazy pants?

Also, I've noticed since Drogon's last shed, his tail is a bit messed up. I remember helping him gently rub off the dead skin on the end of his tail, but the scales just look odd. Also, no, I did not peel it off :) He's always had a weird tail tip since I got him, but I'm praying this isn't rot??

106408-1197910263.jpg

LASTLY and sorry for the long post lol, but what is a good way to gently unclog femoral pores? Since he's been a bit lazy, there getting a little larger full of the wax stuff and I don't want them to become a problem.

Thanks!

Selkie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I guess I would get rid of the calcium sand - too much risk for impaction--- are you sure he's a he? The stinky poop is it real runny? Are you feeding crickets?
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
KarrieRee":1mit8rvo said:
I guess I would get rid of the calcium sand - too much risk for impaction--- are you sure he's a he? The stinky poop is it real runny? Are you feeding crickets?
Karrie

Actually I heard a really compelling argument on why they need sand. They will only get impacted if temps are off or not enough hydration. See more:
https://reptifiles.com/does-loose-substrate-cause-impaction/?utm_source=ReptiFiles&utm_campaign=9fc11b0141-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_04_20_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ca262f8de3-9fc11b0141-203996928

2) Lol Im pretty sure Drogon is a boy :) He has big femoral pores, the double hemipenes under the tail and always likes to show off a grey beard. Why do you ask?

3) I wouldn't say it's super runny like diareha. That happened before and I just backed off on fruit and everything was fine again. He deff has a lot of extra liquid but for the most part, its well formed with a urate. And no, no more crickets for a while now. He eats:
- 5 dubias a day
-some mealworms
-BSFL, about 20

Sometimes I'll include a super or two
For greens, loves spring mix and nothing else!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hmm ? ok not sure why the real stinky poop then-- sometimes that's a sign of parasites- if female all the digging could be a sign of eggs-
So he has a good diet-- gonna haft to let someone else way in on the behavior- he could be getting ready for brumation- that's a possibility
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
KarrieRee":9pi5gtt7 said:
Hmm ? ok not sure why the real stinky poop then-- sometimes that's a sign of parasites- if female all the digging could be a sign of eggs-
So he has a good diet-- gonna haft to let someone else way in on the behavior- he could be getting ready for brumation- that's a possibility
Karrie

That's what I suspected as well. He's not so much digging as just checking out new hiding spots. He never hung out in his cave but he's been checking it out more and when I take him out for playtime, he's like nahh I want to go hide under the furniture. Everything's been the same, no loud music, voices, or TV o_O

Going to get his first checkup in October when I save a bit :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Femoral pores I am gonna let ahbd address that- the heavy breathing does he do it alot-
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
KarrieRee":1y54nsac said:
Femoral pores I am gonna let ahbd address that- the heavy breathing does he do it alot-
Karrie

It seems to happen when he gets lots of attention or baby talks ( he loves hearing his name lmao)
Also happens when he's running around and exploring?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah that's him then - he's only doing it when excited- if it was RI he would be doing it all the time and he wouldn't feel good--
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Okay! I'll keep an eye out for more replies, especially about his tail too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His behavior is pretty normal because most beardies will do unexpected things when they're free roaming. Running around, climbing, hiding are all typical behaviors. As for the tail, just dab it with betadine daily in case there's a chance that there's any problem starting. Take pics of it every week to compare how it looks as time goes by.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
AHBD":2os2g764 said:
His behavior is pretty normal because most beardies will do unexpected things when they're free roaming. Running around, climbing, hiding are all typical behaviors. As for the tail, just dab it with betadine daily in case there's a chance that there's any problem starting. Take pics of it every week to compare how it looks as time goes by.

What is betadine and is it safe? how long should I use it for?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Betadine is also called povidone iodine. It's an antiseptic to clean wounds and prevent infection. You can Google about it, it can be found in any drug store and yes it's safe.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
AHBD":1z2ug9x0 said:
Betadine is also called povidone iodine. It's an antiseptic to clean wounds and prevent infection. You can Google about it, it can be found in any drug store and yes it's safe.

Ok! And is a week good? Should I just dab some on Q tip onto his tail?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that would be fine. :) Take pics starting today and then every week to see if it gets worse. I don't think it will but it's always best to keep an eye on things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom