BD Tail and Belly, now back legs! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfLover

Original Poster
Sorry I'm a bit slow. I wasn't too happy with the visit. He thinks that it was just a plain burn from the glass?? Now the ground itself and his log is not that hot and even if he gets on the glass..it is very cool inside and out. I don't see this possibly being a burn. The vet didn't appear very knowledgeable either..
Either way, I have some good news.
His appetite is almost at full again, my baby is using his leg a lot more, he is holding himself up more and all the sores are slowly healing with the cream we bought for the fungus and the betadine baths. He is fun to watch again, but everything is still going to be taken overly slow.
I can't afford another vet visit, and my Dad has just gotten laid off, so I hope the current treatment is actually working as it appears to be.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The vet did not even bother testing for a fungus like yellow fungus? A burn from the glass, hm, I don't think so.
Sorry that it didn't go very well at the vets.
So, exactly what are you using on him now? Go over the regime you are doing, daily. Are you using an antifungal cream along with the silvadene or thermazene?
I recommend using an antifungal cream to use on him daily, along with the diluted betadine baths.
That is great he is eating so well right now. He is using his back legs too & moving around more? I am happy to hear that.
You should post updated pictures of him in a week or so, ok, so we can see his improvement.
Oh don't be alarmed if the affected areas begin turning dark in color, it is the fungus dying off.

Tracie

WolfLover

Original Poster
No he didn't. It was a sad trip.
Everyday I get home from school he gets a diluted betadine bath followed by the antifungal cream and I have the silvadene just today, so when should I put that on him?
I think thats a good idea, I'll remember to get some pictures here soon. Might take me a while to get some good pictures they aren't easy to get.
Ohh, thanks for the heads up. Perhaps thats why the vet would think that it was a burn? I don't know, just a thought.
Thanks everyone for the support for my baby, I will update everyone soon again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Initially it does look kind of like a burn but burns don't spread in that manner. If you have not done anything to cause to burn him, then it is highly unlikely it is a burn.
Yes, give him a bath in the diluted betadine, daily & continue putting the silvadene cream on him daily, too. You must be consistent with it, ok?
Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Hello, I just read this whole thread. Wow its too bad the vet didnt help you. Did the vet give you any advice at all? Looks like Tracie has you on the right track.

Maybe you could talk to your parents about getting crickets online? They are half the price if you get them online. This way you can get more crickets for way cheaper and they will be delivered right to your door! Crickets are such a hassle and they are stinky but they are the cheapest way to go. What I do is I get 1000 crickets from lllreptile.com for 20$. at the petstore they are 10 cents each but if you get them in bulk they are only 2 cents each!!! It may sound like A LOT of crickets but if they eat 30-80 crickets a day that actually isnt that many! I keep mine in a 10 gallon aquarium in the back hallway were no one really goes. If your room is big enough they probably wont stink up your room (but my room is tiny!) When you are running low just order more and before you put the new ones in the tank, hose out the shed skin and debris from the old crickets and dry it out. then put the new ones in there.

So when you order them they will come in a cardboard box which is inside of another cardboard box. The best way to get them out of the box and into their tank is to take off the first layer of cardboard, then place the box inside the tank and slowly open each flap. As you open each flap cut it off with a utility knife (ask for help here) if you dont cut them off they get in the way and the crikets climb up them and jump all around while you are trying to take the egg cartons out. (the box will come with egg cartons, and potatoes. throw the potatoes out and put some fresh cut apples or potatoes in there for the crickets to drink from) its more work but way less money which may make your parents happy! you know when someone orders a cake from the grocery store? I use that container to feed my lizards in. I tap the egg carton into the container and the crickets fall off into the container then i put my beardies in there to eat. any other large plastic container like thing would work. as long as its big enough to fid the egg carton in while you are tapping it.

Also some great greens to get your beardie are Turnip Greens, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens and Dandelion Greens. All of those can be found at a big grocery store. I usually get a bundle of Turnip greens for .75 cents and mustard greens for 1$. these last me 2 or 3 weeks. The letuce you feed him dosnt have any vitamins and he will still get water from the greens mentioned above.

Good luck! you are doing an amazing job!

WolfLover

Original Poster
Hey again. Thank you so much all of you, your all so helpful and very smart. My baby is doing great, his appetite is up even more to up too 30 or more crickets on some days! He loves his greens as well, there always gone as soon as I come back lol. As for his problem areas they are really healing up nicely. His tail no longer looks constricted at that spot but its actually level, and on some parts his scales are starting to show through the wounded area! His one leg has healed practically completely as well as his belly, but his other leg still has a good red bump/ scab on it. But as for walking he is doing great, the only time he favors it is when he is basking he lets that leg hang over the edge. He looks kinda cute when he does it though. He is starting to shed again so before it gets going I'm going to see if I can get some pictures and post them in a few days.

Wow that is great! You are an awesome beardie owner. I wish everyone was as vigilant as you. Keep up the great work. I am sure he loves you for it. Can't wait to see the pics.

Jennifer

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

That is great his wounds are healing up that nicely. I am happy to hear he is improving like this & has a healthy appetite.
I want to see pictures, for sure.
Wow scales are starting to grow back as well? That is really good. Continue with the treatments, daily.

Tracie

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hey
fantastic news your lil ones doing so much better
your doing great, love dedicated beardie mummy and daddies! you will be rewarded with all this hard work also, their such amazing little creatures.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom