BD Slaves who own more than one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
We have 4 of them. Thinking about getting another one as well. Trust me, once you get one, you'll want another. Our livingroom has been turned into the reptile room. There's a couch in there, but only if you want to stare at the dragons. :lol:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I only mentioned my females in my earlier post because I was replying to your concern on "egg bound."
I actually have more than 4 beardies, I have 5 adults, 1 juvie, 1 baby, and Z&W. :mrgreen:

The difference in having more is the time involved in caring for and of course attention time.
Thank God I'm a stay at home wife and mother or I definately wouldn't beable to give them
the attention I feel they deserve. But sense I do get to stay at home the more the merrier! :blob8:

Don't think for a minute that getting just one more will stop you from wanting yet another. :shock:

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have been searching craigslist every hour to see what comes available. I even search in other cities nearby.
I guess I haven't taken the next step because I need my husbands support. I am a stay at home mom & have the time to care for another. I think I just need to take a step back & relax. I will know when the time is right & when I find the beardie for me.

You guys are so great here. I'm so glad I found you. I run into people who don't have a clue about these creatures in pet stores. I listen to them talk while they shop & then give them this site for more info. I wish I had a card to hand out.

When I get another I will definitly share it with you guys. Okay I need to check Craigslist now.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Mistyck":340f1 said:
We have 4 of them. Thinking about getting another one as well. Trust me, once you get one, you'll want another. Our livingroom has been turned into the reptile room. There's a couch in there, but only if you want to stare at the dragons. :lol:

This is so true, :laughhard:

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Yeah the time thing...
That's a big one.
Also, before you get another, get your beardie tested for Adeno, just to be safe.

I have a male, Sinclair, who I got when he was just a wee little mite and is now getting near 2 years old.
When he was about 10 months, I got Pele. She was a rescue- sorta... I mean the woman had incorrect info, but was fundamentally a responsible pet owner. Her child grew out of the lizard basically. So Pele was basically a sweetie, but just really wasn't accustomed to handling. She's still no where near as laid back as Sinclair and I've spent some serious time with her.

The other thing to consider with a rescue is how much money you want to spend at the vet. When I take in animals that's always a concern, especially because I already have animals. What am I bringing in other than just the reptile? And if you are buying an enclosure as well- get the details on it so that you can be prepared with what you actually need. They rarely align.

If you decide to get a baby, check out the breeders on this forum. We all know them and have relationships with them. They've got beautiful, healthy babies!

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
One more thing...
As far as the eggs go, it's only stressful the first time. From what I hear, non breeding females don't all lay infertile. In fact, it sounds like most don't. Mine however does. I can't feel them either, but her behavior changes dramatically. She's a frantic rearranger.

I don't think healthy beardies commonly get egg-bound. Infertile eggs are smaller than fertile ones.

raleej337

i owned my first beardie last august 08, after a month I secretly bought another one, my wife learned about it because I'm building a new enclosure. now that I have two I wanted to buy one more...looking at carolina designer dragon, but this will wait until next year. so if I were you, buy your second dragon!

Heed the statement "Getting another one will not make the urge go away." I have 13 dragons now. Yes.. 13! My family and I have become beardie rescuers. Luckily, I am a veterinarian (not a herp vet, a small animal vet)... but my training and connections have still helped with caring for these dragons and providing them with everything each individual needs. My three kids (and many of their friends) provide lots of hands on care when I'm working, and my wonderful, patient, and empathetic husband has also developed a soft spot for all the dragons. So has my clinic staff. I've really never experienced anything like this, even with all my other years of rescuing dogs, cats, and all the other types of critters that came across my path (and my clinic door). Beardies are special. Everyone here can attest to that fact.

3 kids
4 dogs
7 cats
2 horses
1 rabbit
1 very patient husband
13 beardies and counting...

Ashleabdlover

Hatchling Member
i just payed for my 3rd dragon from sizzlin dragons, i got a juvi.
and if i can recommend anyone right now, its her. Diann.
and your in luck cause currently she has very healthy babies for sale right now.

Man its an addiction. it really is.

im pretty sure a vast majority of people on this site can relate.

it needs a name: beardaholics. A person that has an addiction to the buying/ selling (later, when they decide to breed) of the bearded dragon lizard species.

Addiction is the perfect word to describe it. :D

I purchased my female when she was only about 3 weeks old and have raised her up til her present age of 3 months. She's awesome and I think it's been a wonderful experience watching her grow as well as helping to build her sweet personality. I had the urge to buy another about 2 weeks ago and he was raised at our local reptile shop up until I bought him at 6 months. He's extremely calm and loves to run around as well as cuddle.
Having to take care of two truly is not that bad at all, and now my boyfriend and I both have a beardie to hold at all times. :D

I definitely say go for it!

Pleaides

Juvie Member
ooh if anyone has time, money and space then definitely go for it, with reptiles i know you cannot stop at just 1, i said that 13 years ago when i got my first cornsnake, ive since had 7 and 4 of them are still with me with the eldest being 11 years old and never having had to see a vet its only been the beginning of this year that i got my first beardie and my goodness i cannot believe ive lived and not had a darling beardie before, ive now got 2 and they are the most incredible little creatures going.
heres mine

mischief, my boy, 11 months old, hes not looking his best in this pic as hes been under a lot of vet treatment for pinworms, worm eggs and coccidia
mischief16oct082.jpg

Venus, my girl, whos 2 years old tomorrow!
venus25aug085PRINTED.jpg

and along with all my reptiles i work full time, hmm... maybe this is why im single again, lol. their my pride and joy!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I say go for it!
Altough this is probably the worst place to come and ask whether or not you should get another one being as the majority of us are addicted and obsessed about our beardies.It is true however that getting another one may not quelch the thirst.I thought the same thing once upon a time and I just added beardie #4 to the home last month and thats not counting the others that I have recued and rehomed just because I couldnt say no.I think the most I have had at one time in the house was 6 but the 4 I have now are permanent members of the family and I would have no problem adding more to that list if only they would add a few more hours to the day :wink: .

See what I mean? You will find no help here from us :lol: .

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
Everyone keeps talking about addictions. For anyone who hasn't read the thread, you should read the Addiction thread. I posted it after having my beardie for 1 month and my life (and my family's life) changed. Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90082&hilit=

I know I am getting another one. It's only a matter of time. I will probably get another one whenever Mango moves into a bigger viv. He is in a 20 gallon long right now and is only 3 months old. Depending on his growth rate, I will probably get/build a new viv between January and March. I now know I have support because my wife just says, "not yet." If I told her I really wanted one tomorrow and found the perfect one, she would be supportive. I look forward to that day (whenever it comes). :D

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
It's true.............. non of us here will be talking you out of getting another beardie, however, it's very hard to explain to those who don't have any dragons, but if you asked them......... they just look at you with 2 emotions! :shock: :puke:

Best wishes, you've already got the bug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashleabdlover

Hatchling Member
hahahaha thats totally true!
if i were to ask one of my friends if they would want to get a bearded dragon, they'd be like are you crazy!
but if i'd ask someone on here, who already had one, if they wanted to get another.
they'd be like YESS!!!

haha, yeah i dont have like any friends that own bearded dragons, except one, he has 1 bearded dragon, and hes trying to sell it.
i would take it, but i just dont have the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom