Baths!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading and hearing a bunch of talk about giving beardies baths. I tried it last night with our lil guy but he didn't seem all that impressed. Am I doing something wrong? I brought him to the bathroom sink and put about an inch of just warmer than room temp water in the bottom. Lil dude just didn't want to let go of me or my boyfriend. Is it possible that he just liked the human contact too much or am I just not doing something that I should be?

Thanks in advance for the replies. You guys here are an awesome group of people for new beardie owners.

Charity

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello,

Dont worry it doesnt sound like you're doing anything wrong.
Most beardies do tend to resist bath time at first, but it is the absolute best way to keep them hydrated and it also helps them to have more comfortable and frequent bowel movements. Even if they do not drink from their baths they absorb water through their vents. Its definately worth bathing your little one at least twice a week even if they dont like it.
Ive had my girl 6 months and she still throws a strop every now and then at bath time. She stomps around and puffs up her beard in hopes of getting out early. No chance!

Ideally your bath should be warm water (not lukewarm or hot) up to their armpits. Your beardie should be in the water for at least 15minutes for the water to work its magic.
You could try putting a towel or washcloth at the bottom of the sink to give your beardie a little grip. The slippiness of the sink/tub does seem to upset some beardies.

Good luck and rub-a-dub-dub x

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
Ya, I wouldn't worry about it! My one is 16 months and still hates her bath! Hopefully your lil guy will come around :)

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
My boys love theirs. I put more water in there than I should but I don't leave their sides. They love to swim in the water and ballon themselves up to float. Both of them get really colorful in their baths. We do it twice a day for pooping reasons. Heck of alot easier washing poo down the drain than cleaning out the viv. Fargo gets mad at me if he doesn't get his bath and will poo in the tank rather than wait for me to get him in it. I've learned my lesson with him. Poo STINKS. :puke:

AustinsBeardie

Original Poster
Thanks guys, you are amazing. Thanks for being patient with all the new beardie owners and letting us know tips and tricks. I would have no idea where to start especially since the pet stores seem to have things backwards (we were told beardies were nocturnal).

Anyway, just making sure y'all are appreciated.

Charity

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Beardies are NOT nocturnal! They get cranky if you don't turn out their lights and put them night night.

AustinsBeardie

Original Poster
oh we've since learned that but it's just weird that the pet stores would say those kinds of things. Also, a quick update. We think the lil guy may be getting ready for his 1st shed with us (his colours seem to be getting duller each day). I know not to help him shed but it there anything besides bathing that will make him more comfortable? Yeah I know I'm getting off topic here but it kinda deals with bathing....kinda...right?

dobby293

baths are a big deal. Dobby likes it when I put a washcloth in the bath for something to grab on to. he is still small so I give him a bath in the sink.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
they can take a long long time to shed. just kinda massage ONCE the skin has started coming off while they are in the bath. They will shed in sections. It normally takes my dragons 2 weeks after they start turning before the skin comes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom