Bathing your beardie with soap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristen623

Rango has a habbit of stepping in his poop before I can clean it up. He gets in between his toes, yuck! I bathe him in warm water, but it just doesn't get his toes clean enough. Is there a safe soap I could use to help with the "poop" smell?

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
I have never personally used any type of soap or shampoo, but doing a quick search it looks like some people do use baby shampoo. Before trying that though I would use just a tooth brush to see if that gets it off, and if not, then putting the shampoo on the brush and scrubbing the dirty area. I have found that the tooth brush by itself works fine though after they've had a chance to soak.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Dawn dish soup is very very harsh, I would recommend not using that on yourself, let alone your bearded dragon ;)

EmAndWillow

I wouldn't recommend anything made for human use on bearded dragons, small animal shampoo works well but a soft brush should be all that's required for this :) just make sure its soft and brush in the direction the scales go

Kristen623

Original Poster
I havent tried dawn soap. Good thing I didnt. I will try the toothbrush first. Sounds like a beardie pedicure!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I just use a toothbrush, too. I have one dragon that likes to poop after I've left for work, then likes to paint the rest of his tank with it. The toothbrush has always worked well, as I was told, when I got my first dragon in 2005, that no soap is good for dragons, so I've never used any. Alot of people use baby shampoo, it is mild, so guess won't hurt, but try the toothbrush first.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
Back in March I had a question about washing beardie's with soap. I went to Just Answers and requested a reptile expert to answer and one that knew beardies. They sent a list of available people with reptile expertise. This lady Joan's bio and experience was sent to me along with others too. I'd have to try to look back regarding her experience but of all of them I remember she was very qualified and had bearded dragons which made me feel confident so I picked her to answer. Here's the answer she gave to "Is any soap safe to use on a bearded dragon?"

From Joan
Saturday, March 03, 2012 1:24 AM EST
Hello,
No soap is safe as reptiles absorb chemicals through the skin and through the Vent area. Lye or sodium hydroxide is used in making hard soaps that would be toxic to reptiles. In liquid soaps the dyes and Sodium laureth sulfate and ammonium lauryl sulfate which can be skin irritants to reptiles. You also have to consider the scents that are used to give the soap a good smell. Many of the oils are toxic to reptiles. I hope this helps. You can use Novalsan aka Chlohexidine for injuries, and cleaning the tank, whitre vinegar for cleaning the tank, or for injuries or mites a tea colored diluted Betadine solution.
Joan

Just thought I'd post this for anyone.
Amanda

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks Amanda, that really answers all the questions. I was also told that no soaps were good for beardies & that vinegar was the best thing to clean out tanks. So thanks for posting that information. It really helped.

Kristen623

Original Poster
That's some good advice. I did use the toothbrush with just water on his toes, but it seems the smell is still there. It's a faint smell, but still there. Or maybe it's just in my nose! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom