Bath Questions For Those Who Use Sinks/Tubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
I'm looking to get another beardie early next year and had a question regarding bath time. I see a lot of you use your own sinks or bathtubs to bathe your beardies. How do you go about cleaning it after they're done bathing? Also, what about soap, shampoo residue from your own use? That doesn't make them sick? The reason I ask is because we have a plastic utility sink that would be much more convenient for bathing, but I worry about using that because we use it to dump bleach mixes, lysol from mopping floors, etc. Is there a way to sterilize it to be bath safe for a beardie? I worry about the chemicals seeping into their skin or that they'll ingest it. I feel it's safer to just use a separate tub so I may still do that, but was just curious.

Glad to see you are planning on getting another beardie. I plan on getting mine too in January sometime as Repticon Atlanta is going to be going on and I can look at a wide range dragons.

I thought about this question as well. I don't want to use the bathtub... cause well germs and I would have to kneel on a tile floor. I don't want to use the sink as well... germs for him and me. So I decided since I'm going to be buying plastic tubs for my dubia colony I want to set up that I'm just going to get him a shallow plastic tub that I can easily clean and disinfect. He'll have his own bathtub.

The best thing i EVER found was using a high backed litter box meant for cats :) It stores easily on its side when not in use, and the BEST thing about it is that when im done, i can pour it in the toilet and flush it away. no mess! If she poops in it (which she normally does) i use a cleaner i got off of beardeddragon.co to clean up :)

I have used my bathtub in the past and im just not a fan, too much cleaning before and after. (i used the same cleaner from that website above)

I use a baby bathtub that we had laying around and it works perfectly. It's just high enough that they can't get out without it being an inconvenience to them which is usually enough to stop my two lazy bums, lol. It also allows me to be certain that they are always bathed in a clean environment.

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
marblesmom":35hn312m said:
The best thing i EVER found was using a high backed litter box meant for cats :)

I agree- that's what I use. And we've worked out a routine where, even though it's too small for him to swim around in, Vincent can swim "virtual" laps as I lift his body up to where his feet don't touch bottom and hold him in place while he treads the water. That gets a poop out of him every time!

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
I used to use the sink when they were smaller. I would scrub it down with a kitchen sponge that I had for that purpose with water. Afterwards, I would clorox wipe the sink.
For the bathtub, I spray it down with the high pressure setting on the shower (I have a bath/shower combo) with hot water. I do the same thing after the baths. Between beardie baths, I rinse it with hot water. You could also probably blast it with steam if you have one of those steam things.

I did use a plastic tub but it was too much of a hassle.

Guinness

I use the sink in our spare downstairs bathroom. We rarely have guests so it doesn't get used much. Once Toast has done his thing I simply pop the drain and let it all go down. Unless he has been eating adult, male dubias (their wings don't usually digest) his stool is normally all loose enough and easily flush-able down the sink with hot water. I then clean the sink with disinfectant.

If it were a sink/tub that was regularly used I don't know that I would use it. I would probably get a plastic tub of some sort as I am a bit of a germaphobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom