Basking structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Where do you buy your basking structures? I had an AWESOME rock for Dr. Zhivago Einstein, but I think it was too smooth and big. I wish I knew how to carve, but honestly that thing is so heavy only boyfriend could get it in and out of the terrarium. Soooo I had to take it out since he pooped all over said rock and the boyfriend left on business today. Anyway, I digress.

I have seen some great looking climbing branches and basking structures, but to be honest I am surprised at the cost. $80 for a piece of wood and $40 for a piece of stone carved to look like stairs? I will spare no expense for Doc, but there have got to be more reasonably priced items out there.

Where do you get your structures? I really appreciate any feedback/advice on saving a little bit of money in this area. :notworthy:

Thank you. :)

I know www.bigappleherps.com has large basking branches available that are around $25. LLL Reptiles may have some. I use a rock that was in my backyard (bleached it of course). It gets nice and hot! I also have driftwood I got at the river (cooked in oven and then bleached) for UVB basking. Nearly everything in my dragon's tank is all natural! I would try those two websites because of fantastic selection and great prices! Good luck!

YavannaV

Hatchling Member
I bought flagstone paver rocks at lowes/home depot and boiled them in a large soup pot for an hour then let them cool before putting them in my BD's viv. They're a fairly inexpensive way to make steps, etc.

You can get driftwood branches at craft stores or find nice branches outdoors. Those you put in the oven at 250 degrees for 2 hours to kill any unwanted pests. If it's too large for the oven, I think you can soak it in a bleach and water solution in the tub. I have not yet done that though.

Hope that helps. :)

I have never bought basking structures. My favorite is rocks. Easy to boil and clean, look nice, stack well, all the jazz. I widdled up some wood and I baked it but it gets so poopy and well, yuk. Rocks are the best. They also get warm and file their nails so you don't have too! I'd go rOcks for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nohupics
Top Bottom