Basking spot temp and UVI readings comments please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am setting up my Bioactive 75 gal terrarium. I have got a 150w Halogen basking light with dimmer to Adjust the basking temps and a Arcadia Dragon T5 12% UVB bulk in a reflective light fixture. I have been running the lights for a week now and letting things settle in.

On the basking log I have setup I am getting temps of
109 deg f in middle directly under basking light
98 deg f on one end
102 on the other end
On the cool side of the terrain it's only 78-79 deg f. The basking light is directly over the middle of the basking log with no heat source over the cool side. Off the basking spot temps drop to that 78-80 range.

UVI on the basking log ranges from 4.0 - 4.5. I get higher rating up to 7 when under the UVB bulb directly but off the basking log. The cool side UVI is 0.0. I got the UVB fixture right next to the basking light fixture. I can't get it directly over the basking log because of the basking light. The is no UVB over the cool side.

Should I increase the basking temps further.
Should I add another heat source to the cool side?
Is there enough UVB on the basking side?

Thanks

charmander16

Juvie Member
Looks good to me. BTW, what I do is I have a CHE on a timer that ramps the temp up from 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm. Basically the base temp under my basking light is 106 F and I have a temp probe about 9 inches away from the basking spot.

At 12:30 the CHE is set to take the temp up to 105 (from about 85 at the probe when the CHE is not on) (I've been fiddling with the temps and times a bit to get it just how I want it). That also takes the temp under the basking spot up to about 115.

So, this adds some variety to the schedule and creates more different temp gradients throughout the day and simulates the hot part of the day and our dragon usually gets out from under the basking spot during this time as they would in the real world.

EdwardLotz

Original Poster
Thanks. Do you put the CHE on the cool side or on the basking side to increase the ambient temperatures. Can you put a CHE on a dimmer? Is this how you are adjusting the heat then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom