basking spot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 40 gallon tank and am using a 100 watt basking bulb with a reflector sitting on top of the screen. i am having a hard time figuring out what to use in order for my dragon to be able to get within a few inches of the bulb for him to receive the correct heat. i was thinking driftwood, but after going to the pet store to buy a piece and that appropriate size costing 30+ dollars decided to try to think of something different. any suggestions on a relatively cheaper basking spot that would allow him to reach the correct height? i will buy the driftwood if that is the best way because it looks nice, but the price doesnt.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there ...I collect my wood from outside and have some beautiful pieces . Is there anywhere you can find any ? Brush it off good and put in in a preheated oven for an hour at 250 degrees. You might still need a higher watt bulb though, check your home improvement stores for a 150 flood lamp, just be sure that your dome fixture has a ceramic socket to handle the higher wattage. If you have the pet store black dome you might want to also get an aluminum one from a home improvement store or Agway....the aluminum fixtures reflect more heat than the black ones and a 100 watt bulb can still be used.

jethrobodeen1581

Original Poster
i have some trees around but i have read that some of them are bad for beardies i.e. pine. also, on my fire bellied toad tank i have the aluminum reflector and since they dont require heat i will try switching the black ones for that one. what trees are okay for beardies?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Any kind of oak, maple,birch, etc [ not pine as you said ] and not anything that is weeping sap. Look for older pieces that are dried out if possible.

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
I built my basking platforms and covered it with reptile carpet and found a few nice rocks to place on top. They love their platforms!! Easy to do.

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
My taller platform for my taller cage. She's brumating under it right now.
75750-2099706261.jpg
My shorter platform for my shorter cage. Works great as a hide too!
75750-4569898662.jpg

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
AHBD":1shg1pds said:
Very nice, and the beardie looks very comfortable on her new perch. :)

Thank you!! They really like the platforms. They were getting way to big for their driftwood and constantly knocking it down. :banghead: had to come up with something!! I had a few rocks on top and one of their body parts were always on one. A bit small for their whole body so I went out searching for nice big flat rocks. Works like a charm and now the little pudges can fit! :lol:

jethrobodeen1581

Original Poster
That does look nice I may do that when he outgrows the stick I found him. Another question since no one is answering my other post: I'm about to buy my beardie a better uvb light, but am torn between getting the tube or an mvb. I have a screen on my aquarium and I've read that they can block out a lock of uvb so I'm not too sure about the mvb, plus I don't want to be worried about it breaking! Should I just get a fixture for a tube I think it would be easier. I do have the tank in my room and I'm worried about the harshness of the light from a tube. Do you guys know if the light is harsh? My bed would have a prefect view right into the bulb more than likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom