Basking Spot Not Hot Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I want to know what I should do to make my basking spot much hotter. It's usually about low 90's. I use a 50w basking bulb/lamp. I use a 5.0 uvb light thats the length of the cage. My "beardie" is almost two months old. oh and I use a red night light bulb that is also 50w. what should I do? Hope someone can help. :cry:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, you mentioned that the basking temp is in the low 90's. Can you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using, is it a digital strip, round gauge (dial), infrared temperature gun or digital with a long wire & probe end? Where exactly are you testing the temps? What size tank are you using the 50 watt bulb in? Once we find out these answers, we can help you get the temps straightened out.

Also, you said you are using a 5.0 UVB light, would you be able to give us the brand name and let us know what the distance is of the UVB light?

As far as using the red bulb at night, if the room temp doesn't drop below 60 to 65, you don't need any nighttime heating. But, if it does, then we recommend a ceramic heat emitter that gives off heat but no light. The black and red bulbs can actually disturb their sleep.

Grogshla

Juvie Member
ok quickly.
You need a 10.0 uvb tube. A 5 is no where near strong enough for a dragon so try and replace it asap.
You need your temps to be 110 on the basking spot. So i would suggest to use a 75w basking globe.
Dont use any night light or red lamp at night switch everything off.

volvotech

Hatchling Member
The basking spot should be above 100, below 110. I check my basking spot with a temp gun (someone if Off Topic just purchased one from Amazon), and maintain basking temperatures with a 50 watt through a rock and elevation. By propping a dark rock up, it's pretty easy to get a 105 basking temp.

chrissalazar77

Original Poster
diamc":glhhpz5q said:
Hi, you mentioned that the basking temp is in the low 90's. Can you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using, is it a digital strip, round gauge (dial), infrared temperature gun or digital with a long wire & probe end? Where exactly are you testing the temps? What size tank are you using the 50 watt bulb in? Once we find out these answers, we can help you get the temps straightened out.

Also, you said you are using a 5.0 UVB light, would you be able to give us the brand name and let us know what the distance is of the UVB light?

As far as using the red bulb at night, if the room temp doesn't drop below 60 to 65, you don't need any nighttime heating. But, if it does, then we recommend a ceramic heat emitter that gives off heat but no light. The black and red bulbs can actually disturb their sleep.

Ok, I use a digital Thermometer. there is a wire that is connected to it and has a little probe thingy and i put near the baskin spot. I have a 40 gallon tank but half of it is divided wit a fish divider because he is so small and i don't want him to get stressed out trying to catch crickets. And the company for the uvb is reptisun and the bulb/lamp is zoomed

chrissalazar77

Original Poster
Grogshla":1542imtx said:
ok quickly.
You need a 10.0 uvb tube. A 5 is no where near strong enough for a dragon so try and replace it asap.
You need your temps to be 110 on the basking spot. So i would suggest to use a 75w basking globe.
Dont use any night light or red lamp at night switch everything off.

yes i kind of figured i would need to raise the watts. and i kind of have to keep the red light because it gets pretty cold at night and with out it gets to low 60's lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom