Basking Spot idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucks121

so i had an idea that i thought id ask someones opinion

my current designated basking spot has its own 75 halogen flood light with a dimmer switch so when its too cold or too warm i can adjust the dimmer to the proper temp

i used a infrared temp gun and a probe thermometer

so my idea was to use a digital programmable thermostat which i install with heated flooring systems all the time basically a probe goes in the floor and when the temp is low or higher it will turn on or off . but i thought about it and it wouldnt work because it wouldnt dim the bulb it would constantly turn it on and off all day so it would be useless

but my next idea was to take away the 75w bulb and replace it with a halogen puck light with a dimmer and i would set it to keep the temp around 90degreesF (which is low i know)But i would also install one of those heat emitter bulb type things that doesnt give light and point it at the basking spot to raise the temp from 90F (which the puck light would have it at) to a nice warm 105F
and i would hook up the thermostat to it and install the probe inside and this would automatically control the heat for a perfect temperature all day long

so anyone think this is a good idea or am i not understanding those heat emitter bulbs completely i figure its just an element like a heater

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
So basically the basking bulb would stay on full time during the day, and the emitter would go on and off as necessary via the thermostat?

That would be a perfectly fine idea. I have done similar set ups with my snakes. This would essentially be the same as hooking a termostat to a UTH (commonly used with snakes.) Instead of under tank heat though you would have it from above. I feel like I am just rambling now. Hope I understood you correctly and answered your question.

- Justin

Bucks121

Original Poster
It's exactly what I was thinking I think I'm going to design this in my new enclosed that I'll build soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom