Basking Spot Heat Issue - Bulb Suggestions Please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gj1980uk

So I recently made a custom enclosure (post here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=223744), and am having trouble with basking spot temps.
I am using a 38 watt PAR38 halogen flood bulb: http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-Electric-GE-Halogen-Outdoor-PAR38-Flood-Bulbs-2-Pack/46754433 and even with it being only 38 watt, I have to have the thing dimmed basically all the way down to get the temps to sit at around 105. Temps are being taken with a digital thermometer in the middle of the basking spot.

I worry that with summer coming, I am not going to be able to dim that thing down any more to control temperatures. I guess with the walls/floor etc made out of Styrofoam and grout, it insulates pretty well so everything is retaining the heat.

My question is, what alternative bulbs do you think I should try that can keep the temp down a little? I would prefer something that is dimmable, so I can adjust depending on weather/ambient temps etc. I like the PAR38, but just cannot find anything in a lower wattage than 38 watt. And with the current bulb being dimmed pretty much as low as it can go, the basking spot is not very bright.
He has been hiding quite a bit lately, so I am wondering whether the increase in temps lately are a cause of this. Still eating and pooping voraciously though....

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With such a low wattage bulb, I'll bet you're right and the tank is just very well insulated. Perhaps add a computer case fan or similar, blowing outward from the top, to try and increase airflow and cool things a bit. You could also try using a household bulb or a 6500k tube bulb for bright light and then control the heat by using a heat projector bulb or low wattage CHE and dimming that http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=196

I'm not sure if those ideas will be the best solution in the end, but something to think about and test out.

Ed707

Hatchling Member
I'd try to get a infrared temp gun to make sure those temps are right, there pretty cheap. I agree with cooper a small fan would help pushing that warm air around and out. Maybe cut more vent holes if that's possible. It's hard to believe your getting that high of temps with such a small bulb. How long does it take for your enclosure to warm up to that temperature? It could be that with it so insulated it's turning into a oven. With the bulb continually putting out heat and the hot air has nowhere to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom