Basking problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamshaheen

Original Poster
My new baby beardie has been spending all day at his basking spot. It’s around 115 degrees there consistently and 90 degrees around the rest of the enclosure. He doesn’t open his mouth while basking, is that normal? I’ve heard they normally open their mouth and vape while basking.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
My new baby beardie has been spending all day at his basking spot. It’s around 115 degrees there consistently and 90 degrees around the rest of the enclosure. He doesn’t open his mouth while basking, is that normal? I’ve heard they normally open their mouth and vape while basking.
I don’t want to sound like I’m some authority you have to listen to but what are you measuring your temperatures with? Probe or temp gun? My guy is an adult but he very rarely gapes anymore except after eating he’ll bask until he gapes which normally indicates he’s at his optimal temperature which is slightly different for every dragon. If he’s eating and pooping and alert it’s probably ok but normally when they bask for a long time it’s not hot enough but 115 is considered by some (not me lol) to be to hot. It is possible your measuring your temperatures incorrectly but that’s not what I’m assuming.

adamshaheen

Original Poster
I don’t want to sound like I’m some authority you have to listen to but what are you measuring your temperatures with? Probe or temp gun? My guy is an adult but he very rarely gapes anymore except after eating he’ll bask until he gapes which normally indicates he’s at his optimal temperature which is slightly different for every dragon. If he’s eating and pooping and alert it’s probably ok but normally when they bask for a long time it’s not hot enough but 115 is considered by some (not me lol) to be to hot. It is possible your measuring your temperatures incorrectly but that’s not what I’m assuming.
I use a govee probe that tells me my humidity and temperature at the same time. Keep in mind he also has barely been eating. Hes a new baby that I got two days ago and he’s been a little scared and hasn’t ate much. I will tell Ty to update in a week when he’s more comfortable and has a stable daily good consumption

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I use a govee probe that tells me my humidity and temperature at the same time. Keep in mind he also has barely been eating. Hes a new baby that I got two days ago and he’s been a little scared and hasn’t ate much. I will tell Ty to update in a week when he’s more comfortable and has a stable daily good consumption
The only thing I can think of is those are not meant to measure surface temperatures but I could be wrong. If you look on Amazon you can get a good infrared temperature gun that would provide closer measurements they are not to expensive I got mine for around 20$ a few years back. And make sure there’s a hot end and the temperature gradient gets cooler as you move to the other side of the enclosure most recommended cool side temperatures of 70-80.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
The only thing I can think of is those are not meant to measure surface temperatures but I could be wrong. If you look on Amazon you can get a good infrared temperature gun that would provide closer measurements they are not to expensive I got mine for around 20$ a few years back. And make sure there’s a hot end and the temperature gradient gets cooler as you move to the other side of the enclosure most recommended cool side temperatures of 70-80.
And you can expect him to not eat much for a little while when you first bring them home. Let him settle keep an eye on him but let him feel secure in his new home it’s his safe place and it takes time. Offer food, mine never ate crickets he loved black soldier fly larvae. When he started eating those he really perked up and I could tell he was more comfortable. This was in the first couple months I had him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom