Basking Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
I recently bought a reptisun 10.0 tube since I read a lot about them and how much they were preferred over many UVB light sources. I finally got around to setting it up since I had to buy a new basking bulb because I was using a MVB and I assumed I can't use it along side another UVB bulb as that would be too much? So I bought this bulb

86297-248039482.jpg

After reading the lighting care sheet on this site I purchased a 45 watt flood bulb for heat but it isn't getting hot enough. It'll only get his basking spot to about 91 degrees which I know isn't hot enough. His basking spot is usually about 110 as he is only about 7 months old and still needs a higher basking temp. Anyone know of any pocket friendly bulbs I can use to get his basking spot high enough?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That one is a bit narrow (beam) and isn't very bright. I use the GE 90w PAR38 halogen bulb and it works well. That may be too powerful for your setup so you may need a different wattage or keep it higher up from the basking area. That line of bulbs works well. It's 1790 lumens so it's pretty bright. I'd look for one that is similar in lumens if you can. If you like that bulge style reflector, look for a BR40 bulb which will have a nice wide beam.

Ed707

Hatchling Member
Hi! From what I've found about halogen floods is that the lumens will vary depending on the wattage. A 90 watt halogen flood will have the 1790 or so lumens (varies slightly) that cooper suggested. If that bulb is to much heat 75 watt flood still have around 1500 lumens (again varies slightly). 65 watt floods usually are around 1000-1200 lumens and that's starting to get a little low. 45 and 50 watt usually have around 500-800 and that imo is way to low. They do make specialty bulbs that put out more lumens in smaller wattage/shape bulbs but there usually only found in specialit stores online. I'd try the 75 watt and go from there. If you have a open top aquarium style viv then it's a easy fix with a adjustable lamp stand or adjustable fixture. Just get a higher wattage bulb and raise it until you get the temps you want. I don't suggest using dimmers on basking bulb as that defeats the purpose of having a bright bulb. If you have a closed viv like I do its a little more tricky. I installed a 2nd fixture, a fully adjustable outdoor security light fixture with a lightless heat bulb hooked up to a thermostat. Using it in conjunction with the halogen bulb to get the desired temp I want. Ventilation, air circulation, and using a reliable temp reader, like a infrared temp gun, play a part in getting correct temps too. Hope this helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom