Basking at lower temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
So Zero's been a bit strange lately in that he refuses to bask on his basking rock. The basking temp is always between 105F & 110F (I've been trying different levels to see what he prefers) but he always leaves after a few moments and either sits on the floor or goes on his hammock and stays below that lamp which is anywhere between 90F-95F.

He's in a 40gal breeder and is almost 5 months old. I don't think he's old enough to lower his basking temps, but he seems to prefer cooler temps. This normal? Oh and for his basking light he's on a 60W halogen spot on a dimmer.

I'm thinking he may be too close to his UVB while on his basking rock, and I do plan to get him a lowered basking spot, but I also figured I'd see what everyone else thinks. Thanks guys!

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I have had this same question for a while. Daisy will only bask at 95. Any hotter and she wont. But she is healthy. It could be that they just dont like the normal basking temps. Daisy is also 1 year old so she does like lower temps.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I've got it at about 107F right now, and he's staying put for the moment, but I'm trying to keep it as close to 105F as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom