ball styrafoam or the other stuff? for fake rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
i am wondering if i should use the ball type of styrafoam or the kind that you can push with your finger and dents it? like the kind you can get at a hobby store? because i figure it would be much easier to work with? any ideas before i start on my fake rock

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
get the styrafoam sheets at homedepot.. 12 bucks for 6 long sheets.. or go to walmart and get a cheapo styroafoam cooler and break that apart

ronni1221

Juvie Member
I don't know what the push-in foam is made of. It may not be safe under high temps. You should check that out before you purchase it. Styrofoam is safe and cheap.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
well its too late, it is just styrafoam, just in a different form i think, and it is coverd in grout i dont no how temps would affect it? cause the grout will be taking the heat.

ronni1221

Juvie Member
The floral foam that is used for fake flower arrangements isn't safe. The MSDS sheet for it is here: http://www.fdionline.net/Files/MSDS/SO-OasisFloralFoam6-05-05.pdf. Prolonged exposure can cause cancer in humans. There are different types of foam. Styrofoam is a brand name, but refers to polystyrene- it is specifically the ball-type. You should seal the grout with something, because some products can still produce off-gassing if not sealed correctly. It says on the MSDS, "Foam stored in stagnant or hot enclosures may result in off gassing of residual formaldehyde gas."

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
http://www.lizard-landscapes.com go there... it will answer all your problems. dont use the liquid nails tho... it smells bad, just go with loctite power grab.

and your sealer, go to walmart- and hit up the craft dept. mod podge matte sealer. its like 6.50 , and if u want acrylic paints go there for it too...

and sprinkle sand on the top part of your structure during the sealing process.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
my question is if i put about 3 or 4 layers of sealer on how is it going to hurt her?

i will seal it and let if off gass for a week then it should be just fine, cause the grout is on top of the foam and that is covered by the sealer?

Seven65

Juvie Member
I wouldn't risk it, the grout may develop small cracks over time. Is it too late to return the stuff you got?

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ya wtf this is so stupid, the grout wont crack i have 10 layers, or two bags worth of grout, and thats just as bad a saying the ball styrafoam would do the same thing? this is making no sense its the artsy fartsy kinda styrafoam not that green floral foam, and it isnt making gasses or anything? i dont get it you guys make no sense, and my project is finished i just have to get some sealer and seal it 3 or 4 times and let it off gass for two weeks and it should be perfectly fine for my beardie? someone who has made one of these please correct me if im wrong, cause i have been talking with tracie on this and she said if i let it sit for a few weeks there should be no harm, as long as i let it off gass ? please someone who HAS made one of these tell me what you think

here check this site out, this is basically the exact stuff i am using

https://www.ecoupons.com/products/MisterArt/96092/NDU2MDI0MA==

helix321

if you can locate the blue STYROFOAM made by DOW it is formaldehyde free and does not gas off - it's sold at hardware or insulation stores- I recently purchases an 6' 2' piece for about 12.00 at the local Lowes. Most EPS (Expanded Poly Styrene) made in the US still uses formaldehyde based catalysts. There are a few other manufatures making formaldehyde free foams now after the katrina trailer debacle. Do some research before you buy but they are available. One note on the blue foam I needed to use an acrylic modifier with the grout to get good adhesion. On the other note of gass off the EPA is changing regulations to prevent the use of these foams inside new residential construction due to human dangers - I don;t know what would be required to Seal the gass off but formaldehyde catalyst foams gass off for years in normal installations. But as many have said we've all used to old white stuff for years whith minimal negative impacts (as far as I know) but - personally I've started using and replacing the old projects with formaldehyde free foams.
Good luck

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yes but if i seal it off it should be fine, it is open cell foam,? only thing that might gass off is the great stuff expanding foam, which i saw everyone using?

ronni1221

Juvie Member
chancellor91":7c869 said:
ya wtf this is so stupid, the grout wont crack i have 10 layers, or two bags worth of grout, and thats just as bad a saying the ball styrafoam would do the same thing? this is making no sense its the artsy fartsy kinda styrafoam not that green floral foam, and it isnt making gasses or anything? i dont get it you guys make no sense, and my project is finished i just have to get some sealer and seal it 3 or 4 times and let it off gass for two weeks and it should be perfectly fine for my beardie? someone who has made one of these please correct me if im wrong, cause i have been talking with tracie on this and she said if i let it sit for a few weeks there should be no harm, as long as i let it off gass ? please someone who HAS made one of these tell me what you think

here check this site out, this is basically the exact stuff i am using

https://www.ecoupons.com/products/MisterArt/96092/NDU2MDI0MA==

Sorry, chancellor91. I'm honestly trying to answer by what I understood of your question originally. No need to get upset.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok sorry i just got a lil grunpy because i using the stuff everyone said looked fine, and then i got all yal saying it bad =( sorry for grumpiness but thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom