BADLY SWOLLEN LEG, Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmelena127

Original Poster
His appetite varies a lot actually. Some days he'll be really hungry and other days he'll only settle for the vitamin food supplement that was assigned to him from his vet.. so i'm not really sure what to get from that..i know a couple of days ago he had problems going to the bathroom so I bathed him in warm water and rubbed his belly and he seems to be doing better but his appetite still varies quite a bit from day to day. Why do you think that is?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good he is still eating though.
Most do vary on their eating from day to day, depending on what they had the previous day, or their activity levels, etc.
So the bath did help out for him?
His leg is back to normal though, that is awesome.
You could get some bee pollen to help with his appetite. You can pick it up at your local health food store.
Do you have any pictures of him?

Tracie

rmelena127

Original Poster
Hello Tracie, sorry for not replying back to the last message.
Since the last time I replied we tried feeding him some papaya, mango and some greens. He LOVED it all, especially the mustard greens but lately all that has changed.
Two weeks ago we took Alfred to the vet so that the doctor could examine a dark lump on Alfred's back. This lump was dark brown almost black and so was the skin around it. The dark skin however started to spread even though the lump remained the same size. The doctor mentioned that it was abscess and went ahead with the removal. He removed the puss that was inside the lump then managed to remove half of the abscess to clean the inside of it. He then gave us an antibiotic that also works as an anti-inflammatory and an anti-fungal and told us that with time the other half of the abscess would fall off which it did in about five days. It was after the removal of the abscess that his appetite had begun decreasing greatly. At first we thought that it was because his wound was fresh, but his appetite never seemed to get better. First, he lost all appetite for the collard and mustard greens and then he gave up on the crickets, and lastly he started to refuse to eat the vitamin supplement that we had started give him because the doctor prescribed it for the MBD (which he used to eat without a problem and had actually improved so well with his MBD). He now eats a cricket a day (as I was typing this he ate his first cricket in about 24 hours) and has become more lethargic and inactive.
We still try our best to give him the vitamin supplements and to feed him greens as well as crickets but he hardly has any interest in any of them if none at all. We bought super worms to add something new to his diet and to maybe spark up his interest. The first attempt scared him away but on the second day he actually ate one. After that however, he no longer seemed interested in them. His stool after eating the first one seemed odd and irregular but even then he pooped every day so, I don't think he's impacted.
He does have a morning routine however: every day after he wakes up he poops, drinks water then goes back to his blanket and that's that. That's his activity for the day. However, he does seem to be quite alert and active when we take him out of his tank to get some sun or just to be with us for a while. As soon as we return him to his tank, however, he immediately becomes lethargic and inactive again. Today, I checked the inside of this mouth and I noticed that it was quite pale compared to before when it was a nice pink.
I really don't know what to expect from this. I spoke the vet and he mentioned that Alfred might need oral antibiotics because he might have an internal abscess since we don't really know how he got the external abscess and that he could send out some of the stool to get tested for any parasites. But besides that we are confused and worried as to what to do so Alfred can eat again.
Any thoughts or recommendations? He has been this way for about a week..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom