BADLY SWOLLEN LEG, Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a five month old beardie named Alfred. We purchased him from petsmart at around one month old. We had done some research on bearded dragons but unfortunately purchased a kit that included the wrong UV light. When we first got him he had a slight discoloration on his lower back but we didn't think much of it until a few months later we noticed that the discoloration was greater and that his right leg seemed a little swollen. We took him to a vet who in reality didn't know anything and then a week went to see another vet who knew what he was talking about. He diagnosed our beardie with MBD (metabolic bone disease) because his (jaw would bend and had fibrous bones). He prescribed some food supplements and told us to give him at least 30 min of natural sunlight a day and to start gut loading the crickets instead of just dusting them. We also, then discovered about the UV light and replaced it with a better one that spans the length of the tank (the other one was a coil around 1/4th the length).
After a while of having Alfred on the medication and exposing him to UV more, he started looking and shedding better. Due to freak weather, we were unable to take him out as often as before, so for a while his condition just stayed at a standstill. That is, until one day, he fell off of a plastic cactus-looking food dish while sleeping, a fall of about 3-4 inches. We assume he had hit his head and gotten a concussion, due to his sudden erratic behavior. He would stargaze a lot and would constantly favor his left side in anything he did, and for, what seemed like, for the longest time he wouldn't walk normally, only wobble here and there. His head would almost always be vertically, and he would basically spin around to look at you with his left eye.
We took him to the vet again, and he said that it was most likely due to a concussion and his bones being weakened. He gave us 3 weeks and basically told us that if he lived past 3 weeks he'd be fine, and just to continue on the medication and remove all the rocks and high areas so that he wouldn't move about too much or risk climbing and falling off again. By this time the discoloration hadn't gotten much better and had spread, and his leg was still quite swollen.
Through intensive care, lots of food, calcium supplements, sun and time later, his discolored areas began to shed off, with a more natural color of skin underneath, except for 1 or 2 spots. They were more like clumps. His head as well as his motor skills have also gotten much better (except when he's cold). Which brings us to more or less right now. One of the clumps has shed, and had an unsightly black welt underneath. Since then he hasn't shed, but the more worrisome part, is how his leg looks. His left hind leg had gotten bad when the discoloration had spread, but eventually healed more or less back to normal. His right hind leg, however, looks much worse off than ever before. The lower part of the leg is swollen to roughly 2 and a half times the normal size, and the upper part is black and skinny. Both knees look slightly bad, with a crusty look to the skin. His swollen leg is tender to the touch, and he usually favors keeping it close to his body. The vet suggested that it might be a fracture or break, but it seems to be much worse than that, because of all the awful looking things in that general area. I will attach pictures as soon as possible, but right now he's asleep, and it'd be best in better lighting. If you guys know of anything that could be causing such an awful swell in his leg/ankle please let me know. I'd greatly appreciate any help or advice.
I'll probably have the pictures up by tomorrow.
Thank you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry your little guy is having trouble. I don't know off hand what would be causing the swelling. Did your vet take any X-rays of the leg to see if there is a break? It sounds like the second doctor you visited may be experienced with dragons. Have you brought him back to that vet to get an opinion?

rmelena127

Original Poster
Hello and thank you so much for your reply.
The second doctor we visited has been the doctor that we decided to stick to. He's become our regular vet for Alfred. He did not, however, take any X-rays. He says that he rather not do anything too risky because of his small size (Alfred is 7 inches long). What he did do was that he checked both ankles and moved them up and down and said that he felt a little fracture on the swollen leg. The last time we visited the vet was two weeks ago and it was then that he told us about what might be a fracture on his ankle.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Off hand the only thing I can think of is if there is a fracture or break in his leg is that there may be some inflammation around the break causing the swelling or a build up of fluid around the joint. As far as the black welt, its hard to tell without a picture. There may be some type of infection going on with the leg. I would up his temps a bit to boost his immune system. Remove anything he can fall off of and if possible lower his lights a bit to maintain his temps. If there is fluid build up your vet may be able to needle aspirate some of it off his leg to make him more comfortable. I would try to keep him as calm and quiet as possible with minimal handling. For his skin you can make a weak tea like solution of betadine and water and apply that to his skin to clean it well. Betadine is inexpensive in the first aid section of drug stores or walmart. Get a triple antibiotic without pain killers in it and apply that to his skin after its cleaned well with the betadine/water solution. You may also want to ask your vet about liquid calcium for better absorption. Most importantly, if you notice any foul odors coming from the leg, get him to the vet ASAP. With the break, the swelling and blacked areas on his leg, watch closely for a bad infection and odor is indicative of that along with sloughing of the skin or pus seeping from the bad areas. Hope this helps some!

rmelena127

Original Poster
Thank you very much! It was quite helpful!
I'll make sure to post up pictures tomorrow of his leg and welt. One thing I did forget to mention was that the vet did encourage us to have a half water half pedialyte solution so we have been doing that. Also, I'll make sure to remove all his rocks and branches to decrease so much climbing. We do lower his lamp during the day and his temperature is usually at 95 degrees to 100 degrees. Anything higher than this he starts to vent repeatedly. Oh, one last thing: we do have a redlight for him at night. Could this be affecting anything?

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Red lamp will usually disturb their sleep patterns so if your house falls below 65 degrees, I would get a ceramic heat emitter which don't produce any visible light. For basking you can use an old clean rolled up towel. He would be able to grip it better and its soft so wont irritate that leg, plus it will get him a bit closer to his lights and he wont run the risk of falling off it.

rmelena127

Original Poster
we did buy a ceramic lamp once. it was 60 wtz i believe but it didn't heat up enough. It kinda had a burning smell to it and it kept the tank really cold as well as Alfred. So it freaked me out and i went back to the red light. Should i have gotten a 100 wtz one? the tank size i have is a 20 gallon, not sure if that helps with what ceramic light i should get for him.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
The ceramic heat lamps have an odor as they burn in, it doesn't last long. For her I would keep her night time temps about the same as the cool side of her tank for now,,about 75 degrees. 75 watt should be fine to keep his temps up a little, as you don't want them to high. You can also cover his up at night with a washcloth or face towel. Mine love to be covered up at night. If you remove his furniture, use an old clean towel for him to bask on, roll it up loosely for him to be able to lay on it, grip it and get him a bit closer to her lights, surround it with a loosely piled up towel so if he should fall he wont further injure himself

rmelena127

Original Poster
hello, i'm new here and thank you so much for everyone's reply. I was going to post pictures but i don't know how. How can i post pictures to the reply post so i can show you the swollen leg and welt?

Tonja

BD.org Addict
You can go to photobucket and open a free account. Upload your pictures there once you have the account. When the pictures are uploaded open them up fully and copy the IMG url to here. That should put your pictures on here.

rmelena127

Original Poster

So this is Alfred.

As you can see there, his leg is very very swollen. The welt is the little black dot on the side of his stomach near his hind leg.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
To be honest with you, I think that is badly retained shed and is so tight its restricting blood flow and its retaining fluid in the leg due to it. It needs to come off of his leg. I would soak him till the skin is soft and work it with a baby soft toothbrush till you get it off. If that is retained shed, then that is why his leg is so swollen. Cocoa butter is also really good to help with retained shed as it adds moisture to lift the skin. That is my first thought, my second is that it is fungal in nature and needs to be treated by a vet. You can try the betadine baths with Lamisil or monistat for the area to see if that helps. I don't know why your vet isn't addressing the dark areas of the leg but if it goes much longer its going to be infected and he can lose his leg. I am not trying to be mean, but your vet really needs to take a second look at that leg and the darkened areas. Either one of the two things I mentioned can cause the problems he is having if that is what it is and I really think its a badly retained shed or a fungal infection.

rmelena127

Original Poster
Yes, I first thought it was retained skin that wouldn't shed. I bought a shed ease formula to help him shed and it helped with the other parts of his body that needed to shed but it never seemed to budge on the leg. Until the last time he shed. He actually shed off a huge chunk of the top part of his hind leg but instead of looking orange like the rest of the body it remained the way it is now. We asked the vet if it was retained skin and he said that it didn't seem that way because the swell was too intense and then checked his ankle and concluded that it was a fracture... I'll go ahead and make another appointment and see what the vet says but to be honest, he usually says that he can't do much because he is still very tiny.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I would ask also if it could be a fungal infection like yellow fungus. If that is retained shed, it has to come off and yes it can cause that type of swelling since the blood flow and any other fluid flow is blocked by the shed restricting her leg. If he was shedding in thick chuncks, then I can almost guarantee its retained shed and probably layers of it for it to look like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom