Bad constipation. Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
First the set up.

4x4x2 Viv. Arcadia 12% uvb 8 months old.
105 f basking temp. Tile substrate.

My Fatty Bum Bum is 3 in april. She has been in Brumation for 2 months now. Once a week I feed her, bathe her and wait 2 days for the poop then put her back to sleep.

It has taken her 1 week for to poop. The time before It took 2 weeks. Today she pooped in the bath so I inspected it and found a bunch of unchewed phoenix worms. I remember she had this problem of not chewing before so I went back to the crickets. The 2 week constipation was after eating locusts and there was nothing undigested in the poop.
She is still has a great appetite (only for meat at the moment no veg). But she has been looking quite lethargic at times and very dark colour. The last few days she has been better, orange beard and less lethargic looking.

Thanks foe the help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....brumation is a confusing time for many owners, but beardies usually get through just fine. :) So what are the temps. in her sleeping area ? During brumation the temps. throughout the tank should be lower by at least 10 degrees on each end. Your high temps are pretty high....better to be in the 90 -95 range, cool end low 60's to low 70's. Also, brumation is a time for sleeping , not really meant for beardies to be awakened to eat. Again, there's a lot of confusion about brumation, and all beardies are different but it's really best not to feed them , especially if they are really in a dead sleep. When you say she looks lethargic, what exactly do you mean, since she is supposed to be asleep and not the normal color of a non brumating dragon ? Also, what size + weight is she [ You refer to her as a fatty ? ] And as for what can be done to hopefully induce a bowel movement, you can offer unsweetened applesauce, baby food prunes along with a few drops of veg. oil and honey....all are natural laxatives. Then give an extra warm bath, pat her dry, allow her to warm up + then let her sleep and don't offer anymore food.

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Her name is fatty bum bum.
She never fully sleeps during burmation.
Once a week I put the box of food in her tank and she comes out from the hide to eat.
I never measure the cool side. I have a thermostat so the basking area is always 105. She doesn't spend any time in the cool area just the middle of the Viv and the basking spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom