Back leg moving weirdly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caylafay

I got my bearded dragon Kona from PetCo in June, I don't know how old she is but it's thought to be around three or four months. Everything has been pretty much normal since then except for a little worry over her not eating right before and during a shed. Now I think I have a new problem. She hasn't been eating much at all this past week, in fact, I think I've only personally seen her eat one cricket. I just figured it was shedding time again since her tail is turning grey and is beginning to flake. I've been treating her normally and such until I took her out when I got home tonight and saw that when she walked, she was almost limping like.. I don't know how to explain it. One of her hind legs (or both?) was not moving right. I also saw a little tiny scratch or something on the back of her tail. It might be unrelated but I am just so sick to my stomach with worry. I feel like a horrible mommy since I havent been able to pay as much attention to her since school started this week. I got a bearded dragon kit with included basking light & uvb when I got her, but have since changed to a Reptisun 10.0, but not the tube.. and have kept her basking light. The temperature has not been as high as it should (around 91, 92) but I can't afford a new light and don't know what else to do. Please, if you have any idea what could be wrong with my baby, help and respond.

Thank you.

Cayla.

caylafay

Original Poster
She's still not eating and just ignoring crickets. The way she is limping around is really bothering me and I'm considering getting her some sort of formula or something so that she can have some sort of nutrients. Help anyone?

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
not sure on what to do or what it is, just trying to bump your post so someone might see it and help.

Gail

BD.org Addict
If you are using a coil UVB then its possible she is starting to develop MBD. There is a reason we tell people not to use the coils, they just don't provide the UVB that a dragon requires. Not only does it affect their bones but it affects their activity levels and appetite. You really do need a reptisun tube.

As far as the temps, you can use a regular household bulb. You don't need a expensive reptile bulb. Try getting the next size wattage and see if that helps with temps. Another option is to raise the basking platform a inch at a time until the temps are right.

Improper lighting and heat are the major causes for issues with reptiles. If you can't correct what is wrong, then your dragon will continue to decline.

caylafay

Original Poster
Thanks for your help.

The UVB light I have is not a coil, but rather a long stick type bulb? I don't know how to explain so here is a picture:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=reptisun+10.0&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16452231338664985947&sa=X&ei=-ONHTo2yJoKTtweVu_TxBQ&ved=0CF4Q8gIwAg

I tried feeding her some diluted baby food with a syringe, but she wasn't having it.. so I went to PetCo looking for other options. I don't really trust the people there but the nutritionist suggested that her leg problem was just a sprain (which i do not believe) and to try giving her small mealworms. As it's Sunday and most vets are closed, I'm going to call tomorrow morning about her leg, but I did purchase some of the mealworms and a calcium powder to put on them. I wasn't too enthusiastic about them as I've heard they're not very good for beardies unless they're the correct size, which scared me because I didn't want to accidently get too big of ones. But i put them in the powder and she actually ate about six or seven. I didn't want to overfeed her after not eating for a few days. As far as I know she still has a weird limp so I'm going to see about that tomorrow. I hope hope hope it's actually a sprain and not MBD but i'm not too sure.

Gail

BD.org Addict
The compact UVB you have is just as bad as a coil, try to replace it as soon as you can with a long tube. Please don't feed any more mealworms, they can be difficult to digest especially since you don't have correct temps.

caylafay

Original Poster
Even if they're teeny tiny mealworms? It's the only thing she'll eat and she looks so much better than last night/this morning. Her temp is at about 92 but her colors are much lighter.

caylafay

Original Poster
Okay so $150 later..

We went to the vet, and were right about a calcium deficiency. She also has little fractures on her back legs :( The vet recommended the tube light and at that point I just wanted to make my baby feel better. So I got her the light she needs and she got three shots. Hopefully she'll be doing better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beardies4life
Top Bottom